Smart TV see's PC Drives but takes age to load/play

tool_band

tool_band

Hi. Hope everyone is safe in lock down. I have recently acquired a Smart TV (I know bit of late starter, but my 38" TV decided to break just as lock down initialised). The TV is great and I can do so many more dynamic features and just makes for better experiences during this time. Anyway, I have linked up LG SmartShare and Universal Media Server - all see the devices both ways. Initially, SS would locate directories and load files rather promptly but now has descended into poor perfomrnace: the browsing of files/folder is horrendously slow and painstakingly frustrating whereby it'll just sit and the loading icon and after a minute will say something like ' device disconnected, try...' 

Same with the UMS: initially ok but now same as the SS. The culprit seems the TV but it's brand new. It's obviously based upon Wi-Fi connection and I have a 80Mbps connection and there is nothing siphoning extra bandwidth - well, apart from family members, but I'm sole user pretty much.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks. :please::rolleyes::thumbsdown:

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tool_band

Thanks. I'll give them a go. I just wish the programs have to index every single file, when there are thousands of them, instead just having 'access' like I was browsing over any home network. I get why they have to do it but the app on my iPad is just the link and there is no delay or even much buffering. I tried Twonky, but it disregards the file structure/hierarchy by placing everything in one folder. Ohh, could you tell me a way of forcing my TV to show clips in 16:9.Fullscreen? Because it's just luck if it will do it by default and there are no options. Unlike VLC whereby you can pretty much manipulate any file to your preference. Can you get a video player for TV and make it your 'default' player?

Cheers, mate. :)

26 minutes ago, tool_band said:

I just wish the programs have to index every single file, when there are thousands of them

Yea I had same problem, solved by partitioning HDD into smaller partitions. You can use AOMEI Partition Assistant to partition without data loss.

Also if the disk is GPT you may get faster indexing results by converting it to MBR, again this can be done without data loss with tools like AOMEI Partition Assistant

Regards

tool_band

Twonky Server is really good after indexing but I am massive foreign-language/non-english-speaking film fan and I have mostly foreign films but Twonky disregards any subtitle file, i.e. .srt. Thus, rendering films, redundant. SS was good in that it supported those files; I believe Twonky only supports hard/embedded subs as streamed in the file itself. Unfortunately, 90% are from requisite .srt/sub/idx files. I uninstalled SS as it would freeze and couldn't open main screen... it basically just had in background enabling my TV to 'see' it on the network. I'll reinstall it see how it goes.

Thanks.

P.S. Why is it that the programs that you run through network on tv don't enable to process/render accompanying subtitle files? It can't be that complex for the programmers? LG should ebable apps for third party video players whereby you can modify and enable as it's a lot better than the host players that's for sure. We are living in 2020 for god sake!

Archived