Is it possible to protect yourself from stingrays and IMSI catchers?

AZwaffelForAWaff

AZwaffelForAWaff

AFAIK a ton of cops use stingrays, IMSI catchers, and mobile phone connect to the strongest cell towers, which could be rogue. SMS is plain-text and phone call encryption is pathetic. Can you ever have mobile phone security? They've got to have some kind of a system for high-profile and VIP's out there...

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edion Gecos

Depending on your level of expertise and your need for security versus convenience of use, there are possibilities to fortify your phone.

But the most simple thing  to start with would be using Signal for encrypted texting and calls (audio and video)...

https://www.signal.org/

There's apps that can show you in which and where are the antennas you are connected to.

If you are using 4G/LTE, I read that's in more secure since all communications are encrypted (or better encrypted) unlike 2G/3G. It needs confirmations though.

1 hour ago, Nastrahl said:

There's apps that can show you in which and where are the antennas you are connected to.

If you are using 4G/LTE, I read that's in more secure since all communications are encrypted (or better encrypted) unlike 2G/3G. It needs confirmations though.

Unfortunately no. 2G/3G/4G has nothing to do with encryption. All of them use CDMA. It's basically just enhanced bandwidth.

AZwaffelForAWaff

I thought some used CDMA while others used GSM, but AFAIK neither are secure.

Archived