[Solved] what is this error

vefiyo

hi,

when i open a .reg file, it does not open with registry editor but open with a list of lo of software to choose from.

what is the solution.

thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, vefiyo said:

when i open a .reg file, it does not open with registry editor but open with a list of lo of software to choose from.

Check, the .reg file has  been accidentally associated to open another program

you can try to fix this with this command line

Spoiler

Open your CMD as admin, copy and paste the lines below in your CMD

assoc.reg=regfile

OR

this was suggested by someone in a forum discussion

Spoiler

1.Right-click on .REG file and select "Open with -> Choose default program" option.

It'll open "Open with" window. Now look for "Registry Editor" program in the given list. If you find it, select it.

2. If you don't find the program in the given list, click on "Browse" button, type %windir%\regedit.exe in file name text box and click on "Open" button. If you don't want to type the whole path, you can go to C:\Windows folder in browse dialog box and there you'll get regedit.exe file to select.

3. Now make sure to select the checkbox "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click on OK button.
That's it. It'll re-associate Registry Editor with .REG files and now whenever you'll try to open a Registry script, it'll directly merge the data into Windows Registry instead of opening the file in another program

if this doesn't work, let us know, and we make other suggestion for you

1 hour ago, vefiyo said:

but open with a list of lo of software to choose from

pick registry editor and make it default...easy breezy

7 hours ago, vefiyo said:

not working.

Reg file opening error.gif

From what I notice you are trying to open rarreg.key which is a .key file not a .reg file

Registry scripts have .reg file extension and when you run them (I presume that's what you wanted ) Windows merges their data into Windows Registry.

Otherwise,you can open easily your rarreg.key by clicking <<Open With>> and choosing Notepad.

@vefiyo 

By the way, let's say that .key is not a Windows file extension, you've probably got a fake rarreg.key file from home craftsmen.
They uses that extension, the original rarreg key file don't has such an extension.

Archived