Windows10 (upgrade from win7 via MCT) ?????

frankl1n

OK guys I am bored af and am thinking about giving Windows 10 a go on one of my laptops.

I have been reading about it here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I have some questions.

Here is the deal:

*Laptop I am thinking about has Windows7 Ultimate x64. 

*I downloaded and ran MCT and made an ISO file.

Here is a pic of MCT properties:

lN02hMS.png

If I understand correctly since I ran MCT on the lappy with Win7 ultimate x64 and chose this setting:

win-10-architecture.jpg

then the tool will download and make ISO from Win10 Pro x64 and the build will be #10.0.1.18362.418.

So I have 2 questions:

1) am I understanding all that I wrote above correctly? If not please elaborate.

2) is build #10.0.1.18362.418 the latest that MCT will download or is available? (What is build #10.0.1.18363 then?)

Help is needed and appreciated!!! tia

• Replies 6
  • Views 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coromonadalix

the mct product infos are normally correct, you'll be able to download your iso .....  as you did

I dont understand your #2 question ?

Normally the installed win 10 version should be the same as your windows 7

pro=pro

home=home  etc ...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Should be okay if you have an illegal windows 7 ultimate or kms activated ???,  it should install fine

In my case,  it worked for any legal win 7 and  "cough" "obscure(s) w7 versions too"  and win10 was activated if i did a full install,  no kept previous documents and or settings... but done as an upgrade lauched from a win7 os.

Just to be sure, i destroy everything while upgrading.

I dont install w7 home or ultimate anymore ... just the pro version, since you must surely know ultimate is more restrictive for activation

From other sources 

the insiders versions are higher : 19592.1000

and the official final version is : 19041.153  called the 2004 version or  20H2

For me MCT is always late in the offered versions, i dont use it.

39 minutes ago, coromonadalix said:

Normally the installed win 10 version should be the same as your windows 7

pro=pro

home=home  etc ...

I can not refind it but I read somewhere that when using MCT upgrading from Win7 will get you the win10 pro version if you have win7 pro or ultimate installed, and then as you said home = home.

39 minutes ago, coromonadalix said:

I dont understand your #2 question ?

6 hours ago, frankl1n said:

2) is build #10.0.1.18362.418 the latest that MCT will download or is available? (What is build #10.0.1.18363 then?)

OS Build 18363.752

also see here please. 

EDIT: Let me clarify please. I understand that this ---> OS Build 18363.752 is just a cumulative update. But it is the official final version of Win10 pro? Isnt it? So I was curios why MCT didnt make the ISO with this newest 18363.752 build? 

I apologize for being such a n00b about this subject. 

@frankl1n

We have to get one thing clear, first:- do you want to make a fresh installation or an update of your current system?

If it is going to be an upgrade of your current system, you can do that within the system and you will have all your files kept in position.

Otherwise, if you are looking to make a fresh installation, we can direct you to the current ISO files as of March 2020 click me

we will also help you to get a legal activation of your products, if that can help you

regards

3 minutes ago, cosy said:

We have to get one thing clear, first:- do you want to make a fresh installation or an update of your current system?

If it is going to be an upgrade of your current system, you can do that within the system and you will have all your files kept in position.

I would like to try an update of my current system and see how it goes. I want to have all my files kept in position please!

1 minute ago, frankl1n said:

I would like to try an update of my current system and see how it goes. I want to have all my files kept in position please!

Then go ahead as you did, after downloading the ISO, mount it or use your USB or whatever, and choose the option  upgrade the system,

you will be directed though and after some few minutes, your system will be upgraded to Windows 10.

If it is required, you can go to the settings and you will get all the recent updates from there.

Why?- this MCT tool may not contain the latest files as offered by MS at the time of installation

15 minutes ago, cosy said:

Then go ahead as you did, after downloading the ISO, mount it or use your USB or whatever, and choose the option  upgrade the system,

you will be directed though and after some few minutes, your system will be upgraded to Windows 10.

If it is required, you can go to the settings and you will get all the recent updates from there.

Why?- this MCT tool may not contain the latest files as offered by MS at the time of installation

OK seems pretty straight forward. What you said is what I will do. I have researched upgrading to Win10 via MCT pretty thoroughly. I just wanted to burn the DVD with the latest build, but the build I got via MCT is close enough and afterwards I will install the OS Build 18363.752 cumulative update.

Also I have all my win10 drivers ready to go and Win10 versions to some programs I have(I will uninstall 1st) that employ OS specific installers. Win10 also has a native in-box USB 3.0 driver. I understand If you're upgrading from Windows7 to Win10 uninstall the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Win7 before installing the OS upgrade. Some other precaution too Ive taken. Hopefully upgrade goes well, if not I will revert back to Win7 and do a clean install of win10 at a later date. 

Archived