SSD not found but working fine (?)

Jobik

Hi all

Yesterday I mounted a SSD drive on my mobo to accelerate my computer.
And a strange thing happened :
- I switched off my computer, put the SSD in its slot, screwed it and rebooted.
- The pc booted fine. I entered the bios to verify that my new disk was there and... no, it was not.
The M2.1 slot - where i put the SSD - was marked "empty". Argg...

Never mind, I launched Windows 10.
The OS found a new drive and asked me to initialize it for future use, what I did.
I then ran the samsung utility (Samsung Magician). All worked fine. The speed is ok as you can see on the picture.

I rebooted, re-entered the Bios, to see if i missed something... The M2.1 slot was still empty but, strange thing, the SSD was found in the boot order section.
I quit the bios ,pressed F8 to access the Boot menu : and, yes, my new drive was there.

So, i do not worry about that, but i would like to know if anybody had encountered this situation.
And if someone has an explanation.... it would be great too ;)

Thank you for reading :)

Config :
Asus Prime X470-pro with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (2019)
Samsung EvoPlus NVMe M2 (250 Go)
Windows 10 x64

ssd samsung 1er benchmark samsung magician_part.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jobik said:

So, i do not worry about that, but i would like to know if anybody had encountered this situation.

That was not a problem at all, It was a normal process or procedure you just missed out to do

Whenever one installs a new HDD or SSD, on has to load the BIOS and make sure it is recognized or registered.

Just as you said, the SSD/HDD has got to be initialised-meaning-it has to be accepter and also recognized by the system.

In times like this one, all works quite easily as opposed to those times of Windows XP or earlier versions, one had to have a big know-how to do this

2 hours ago, dMog said:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/ssd-not-showing-up.html

also, if you want this ssd to improve performance, if your other drives are regular hard drives you require the ssd to be the drive with your operating system and the initial boot drive

My SSd is found by my win 10 system, just not present in the sta config section of the bios.

And, yes, i am going to use it as bootdrive with only my system on it. My docs already are on another disk.

Thank you for reply

4 hours ago, cosy said:

In times like this one, all works quite easily as opposed to those times of Windows XP or earlier versions, one had to have a big know-how to do this

Yeah, you are right. I remember those days, trying to install soundcard drivers on msdos systems to play Indiana jones or Monkey island ;) and then find the graphic drivers... to play in 640x480 !

Ms Word was shipped on only one 3.5 (or 5.25?) floppy disk...

It's really easy now,and you do not have to know how your machine runs... too bad :(

1 hour ago, Jobik said:

My SSd is found by my win 10 system, just not present in the sta config section of the bios.

And, yes, i am going to use it as bootdrive with only my system on it. My docs already are on another disk.

Thank you for reply

I had that problem too and as soon as i changed the drive letter for that ssd drive it was seen by the OS Another thing you can do is to disconect all other drives and install your OS on that ssd...unless it is still not seen when you go install the OS...others here are far more knowledgeable on this site than myself

• 3 weeks later...

Check your mainboard model.  Some higher end gaming and server mobo's have a dual-homed M.2 slot.  It can take a M.2 SATA SSD but when populated disabled a SATA port, and it can take a M.2 NVME SSD but when populated disables a PCI-E Slot.  There are variations on the implimentation and all of them are a PITB.  Fix is usually to move the Graphics card down a PCI-E Slot then it will detect properly.

Good Luck.

Archived