Windows 10 Users Affected by Shutdown Bug, How to Fix

humble3d

Windows_Bug0.jpg

Windows 10 users are reporting being affected by a bug that prevents them from shutting down their devices without logging out first, an issue that we previously thought only Windows 7 customers were experiencing.

Windows 7 users started reporting encountering "You don’t have permission to shut down this computer." errors that would not allow them to shut down computers on February 6.

Since then, this same error has been reported by several Windows 10 users too, one of them saying that he saw the error pop-up on a recently installed device running Adobe CC, as initially reported by Günter Born.

Others also confirmed that the issue was impacting their Windows 10 Home edition devices, as well as multiple Windows 10 installations in an environment were Windows 7 devices were also experiencing shut down issues.

Shutdown error on Windows 10
Shutdown error on Windows 10 (@hornedepot)

There are currently hundreds of user comments in this Reddit thread and over 70 in this one, as well as on the Microsoft Answers forums and Twitter.

While the shutdown issues aren't as widespread on Windows 10 as they are Windows 7, all reports point at the same error and the same underlying bug being behind the problems.

Adobe Creative Cloud update behind the shutdown issues

Microsoft hasn't yet acknowledged this as a known issue on the Windows Health Dashboards for Windows 10 or Windows 7, or on the Windows Message Center.

However, a Microsoft spokesperson told BleepingComputer that the company is "aware of some Windows 7 customers reporting that they are unable to shut down without first logging off and are actively investigating."

Redmond hasn't issued a public statement regarding the issue being resolved but a Microsoft employee did share what seems to be Microsoft's response to the shutdown problems affecting Windows 7 and Windows 10 customers as one of our readers pointed out.

Windows shutdown bug resolution

Their reply confirms that a recent Adobe update is preventing users from shutting down their computers as some users were previously considering.

"We’ve identified and resolved the issue, which was related to a recent Adobe Genuine update that impacted a small number of Windows 7 users," he said.

"Adobe has fully rolled back the update automatically for all impacted customers. No action is needed by customers. If you are still experiencing the issue, it will be resolved shortly via an automatic update."

How to fix the Windows 10 shutdown issues

While Adobe has already rolled back the update for Windows 7 customers, Windows 10 ones are out of luck until the bug is also acknowledged for their platform and a fix is provided by either Adobe or Microsoft.

Until then, you can disable the Adobe services triggering the bug (Adobe Genuine Monitor Service, Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service, and Adobe Update) following these steps:

1. Open the Run dialog by hitting the Windows+R combo, type services.msc and hit OK.
2. Look for the Adobe Genuine Monitor, Adobe Genuine Software Integrity, and Adobe Update services.
3. Disable all of them by right-clicking on each of their entries, stopping them by clicking the Stop button, choosing Disabled in the Startup type dropdown menu, and clicking Apply.
4. Try to shut down your computer. If it doesn't work, restart first by hitting CTL+ALT+DEL and clicking the red icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.

Disable Adobe services
Disable Adobe services

KB4524244 pulled from Windows Update

In somewhat related news, Microsoft also pulled the standalone KB4524244 security update from Windows Update over the weekend after confirming previous user reports about freezes, boot problems, and installation issues.

KB4524244 is an update that was designed to address "an issue in which a third-party Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) boot manager might expose UEFI-enabled computers to a security vulnerability."

Microsoft also said that KB4524244 could cause the 'Reset this PC' feature (aka PBR or 'Push Button Reset') to fail on impacted Windows 10 and Windows Server devices.

To help users of impacted devices, "the standalone security update, KB4524244 has been removed and will not re-offered from Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or Microsoft Update Catalog," Microsoft said on the Windows 10 Health Dashboard.

If you have also experienced issues shutting down your Windows 10 devices and saw the "You don’t have permission to shut down this computer." error popping up, let us know in the comments section below.

H/T Günter Born

Sergiu Gatlan is a reporter who covered cybersecurity, technology, Apple, Google, and a few other topics at Softpedia for more than a decade. Email or Twitter DMs for tips.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-users-affected-by-new-shutdown-bug-how-to-fix/

• Replies 4
  • Views 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That bug been around for awhile on  windows  7  i guess now it effects Windows 10 as well . On Windows  8.1 i hardly  do any updates just my anti virus , IDM and  Firefox  .When you stay in Linux  99% the time you don't have worry about Windows security and Win 32 app updates .:lmao:

I never had any of the Windows issues related on NSane with updating, while I got a lot more in comparison with Linux because from a version to an other they break compatibility, or because they switch to something different than needs to be set up again (systemd, GRUB, fstab…).

1 hour ago, Nastrahl said:

I never had any of the Windows issues related on NSane with updating, while I got a lot more in comparison with Linux because from a version to an other they break compatibility, or because they switch to something different than needs to be set up again (systemd, GRUB, fstab…).

I been running the same image of Linux for 2 years  and i do updates  everyday  almost and i never had a bit of trouble  , I use to have trouble  when i 1st started out back in 2015 but it got better , once i learn it good it became much easier for me to maintain  than Windows . Windows  and there upgrades  1 or 2 times a year 

i put Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu  LTS  on this PC and no troubles since . If you don't use Windows much you never have troubles  with Windows  but i never had very many with Windows 8.1 anyway it's very stable .  Ubuntu flavors LTS  you have to upgrade every 3 years  , Ubuntu default and Linux Mint you only have to upgrade once every 5 years. I've not had to set up anything in 2 years thats because I'm lazy i have another PC to test new stuff on  . I stop experimenting with bleeding Edge and  started using my OS .

On Linux  the key  is to stay on LTS  at lest tell they  had one or 2 point updates to work out any regressions on the next LTS rls,   people  who have trouble  with Linux  do not read  about  regressions with there hardware and they upgrade too soon or  if they is  something they need to install before they upgrade  they blindly upgrade without installing it. I learn all this the hard way  back   when Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) came out Ubuntu 14.04 LTS worked fine on my AMD PC but AMD drooped closed graphics driver when Ubuntu 16.04 LTS came out it was not tell like 16.04.4 they back ported  the good open drivers for my hardware so I used Manjaro because they patched  the AMD closed driver and i also used linux Mint 17.3 , buy the time Manjaro stop patching the closed driver Ubuntu had the good open ones for AMD . If i would of just stayed with using Linux mint 17.3   tell they fixed 16.04 for my hardware  i would  of never had to learn as much as i have had too. .tell  i stop distro hoping and learn whats best i had a few bumps in the road . New is not always better if it has not had the regressions worked out .On Windows by the time they work them out its time to repeat the cycle.  .:P

I never used bloatware apps like Adobe not even there pdf reader .One time years ago i had a portable  of PS  but thats before they added all those icky services to it . I hated bloated apps  when i only used Windows  if i had any  they were portable  thats why  it was so easy for me to switch to Linux . Most  all the apps that are Windows only are bloated .

I never had much trouble  like  reported  on this site  with Windows  10 because i'm very tech savvy i been working on Windows since 2001   , It Just too much work to beta test  for them  when every version before Windows 10  they paid people to do it. Windows insiders is Alpha . Windows for consumers  is beta and Windows for Business is stable . But its not legal to use Enterprise  and i always bought my Windows.      I just found it called  home too much  so i blocked it  with a FW and used apps to disable it, upgrades broke  my work arounds  and some apps that i could not afford to buy that  not been cracked  since broke and Installing Windows updates took too long because they wait to long to patch . I was reinstalling  a new version of Windows 10 every 6 months   i grew  tired of  it! I put Windows 8.1 back in 2 years ago all my old apps work  and I only had to set it up  once  and Linux i only had to set it up once  2 years ago.

Moved from Security & Privacy News.

(Software update problems are better here)

Also, replaced contents with actual article to add missing images, changed topic title to be that of original article.

Archived