750gb External HDD for $8USD !!

frankl1n

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, frankl1n said:

I have a Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB hard drive that I saved out of an old laptop.

So I spent $8 on one of these ORICO USB3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Enclosures.

It will arrive in a few days, then I will have my $8 750gb portable HDD!  :D

uDddmg2.png

Can it be used with USB 2.0 ? I dont have USB 3.0 on my lappy.

21 minutes ago, donkey-girl said:

Sure you do, but you'll have USB 2.0 transfer speed

regards

35 minutes ago, neofita said:

Sure you do, but you'll have USB 2.0 transfer speed

regards

Its good enough for me with the speed, its only when I got broken/dead computer home I can check the Harddrive this way and copy the stuff  to another computer.

Marcus Thunder
19 hours ago, frankl1n said:

So I spent $8 on one of these ORICO USB3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Enclosures.

This is the way to have a cheaper external hard drive, buying a laptop hdd with an external hard drive enclosure. Back in the day you saved up to 50% doing this, I don't know how much you will be saving nowadays since there are basic & essential product lines without all the fancy stuff. People kept talking me out of doing this claiming that external hard drives came with built-in fans & shock protection.:duh:

4 hours ago, donkey-girl said:

yes it is backwards compatible.

When I get it and see how it works I will report back with my opinion of the enclosure.

I give it 5 stars. Best $8 I ever spent. The enclosure works perfectly for me.  It took only seconds to put the drive into the enclosure.  The drive fits perfectly, no way it can "rattle" around inside. The thing actually looks nice too. The cord is also nice quality and about 18" long. The drive speed is also fine, it is just as fast as it was when it was in the old laptop. DiskMark reports it just slightly slower than my internal HDDs. The only thing was that the drive I put in the enclosure was an old Windows8 system drive. I had to run DiskPart to delete all the hidden recovery/system partitions in order to recover all the disk space, not a big deal really, just slightly annoying. Anyways I am very happy with my results.

9 hours ago, info999 said:

clickbait, but it's cool 

I did not intend it to be so but in retrospect I agree the title may lure people to click. I honestly post this for fun that why its in chatbar. I also messed with old HDD and the enclosure for fun, I dont need more hard drives or disk space but find it fun to mess around with this stuff. Im gonna clean out my other closets this wkend, who knows what I may find to mess with!

bummer...my TV has a media player built in, works with all my thumb drives but refuses to recognize this drive/enclosure. I was hoping to load up this drive with movies and hook it up to my TV but looks like that isnt gonna work out...bummer.

Archived