With a fix for the 'temporary profile' bug still elusive, Win10 1903 and 1909 customers should check Pause Updates

Karlston

With a fix for the 'temporary profile' bug still elusive, Win10 1903 and 1909 customers should check Pause Updates

Microsoft has not yet acknowledged — much less fixed — the widely publicized bug in its February Patch Tuesday update that causes Win10 1903 and 1909 customers’ desktops to disappear. If you haven’t yet installed KB 4532693, make sure Pause Updates is still protecting you.

windows_patch_security-100734734-large.j

Thinkstock

By now you’ve probably heard about the disappearing-profile bug in this month’s Win10 1903 and 1909 cumulative update. The buggy patch went out on Tuesday, Feb. 11. Reports started rolling in shortly afterward about desktops that were wiped clean, wallpaper replaced, even files that disappeared. I wrote about it on Thursday morning:

Many people are in a tizzy — their desktop icons are gone, they can’t log onto their usual Admin account, and their files most definitely aren’t where they left them.

Since then we’ve seen many hundreds of complaints and dozens of articles about the mayhem. Ends up that the hapless victims had their Windows profiles swapped out, replaced by a temporary profile. The buggy patch moved their cheese and hid it where all but the most advanced Windows boffin would never find it.

Early on, Patch Lady Susan Bradley nailed the cause of the problem:

Loss of profile has historically been a race condition between the boot process and something holding files open. I personally have seen antivirus most often do this but it could be other things like antiransomware protection, group policy settings. Microsoft DOES test their patches, they really do. What they can’t do is test for the myriad of unknown ways that we set up our computers.

(Techy note: A race condition is a timing issue that arises when two or more independent programs stomp on each other. They’re very difficult to diagnose.)

Initial reports pointed the finger at a specific antivirus package as being the one that tangled with the KB 4532693 installer, but then we discovered that not all folks running that AV software were getting bit. Then we had a series of reports about local accounts (users who aren’t signed on with a Microsoft Account) getting the special treatment. Nope, that wasn’t the problem.

Microsoft hasn’t officially acknowledged the bug, as best as I can tell, aside from two posts on the Answers forum. On Feb. 12, Lawrence Abrams at BleepingComputer said that a Microsoft rep told him, “We are aware of the issue and are investigating the situation.” On Feb. 17, almost a week after the bug first appeared, Mayank Parmar at Windows Latest said:

In a conversation with Microsoft’s support team, multiple employees told us that Microsoft is aware of the issue and are actively investigating the situation. “Microsoft is aware of this known issue and our engineers are working diligently to find a solution for it,” a staff stated.

There have been multiple reports of users losing data because of the KB 4532693 patch. I haven’t seen that happen as yet, personally, so remain skeptical. Far more likely is that the data got stuffed into a .BAK or .000 or .003 folder inside the C:\Users folder — the place Windows sticks profiles. If a Windows customer runs a Cleaner program while trying to fix the lost profile bug, the backup may well be gone.

Most distressing: Susan Bradley reports on a response to a Microsoft support case, in which a Microsoft technician specifically mentioned Windows Defender as a possible source of conflict:

I discussed the case with my tech lead and confirmed this to be a bug — 25270101 … find the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection and Microsoft Defender Antivirus services, right-click each of them, select Properties, and change Startup Type to Disabled, selecting OK after each change. Restart your device in normal mode and attempt to sign in with your original profile.

It isn’t at all clear if Defender might be part of the two-to-tango race condition. 

And, of course, neither the Knowledge Base article nor the official Windows Release Status page says a word. Nine days later and the buggy patch is still being shoveled out the Windows Automatic Update chute.

Not all is doom and gloom.

If you’re using Pause Updates in Win10 1903 or 1909 to block Microsoft’s patches, and your “Resume updates” date is far enough out — today or later — you didn’t get either this buggy patch or the monstrous KB 4524244 UEFI “patch,” which was pulled last week. But if you’re relying on Pause Updates, now would be a very good time to make sure it’s set out to the end of the month or later. Heaven only knows when (if!) Microsoft is going to re-release KB 4532693 and fix the disappearing profile problem.

For most of you, pausing updates until March 9 seems like a very good idea. (If you’re running SQL Server, though, you need to get the February patches installed. Sorry.)

To adjust your Pause Updates setting, first make sure you’re running either Win10 version 1903 or 1909 (type winver down in the Search box and press Enter). If you are, click Start > Settings > Update & Security. You should see something like the screenshot.

defer to 03 09 2020 Woody Leonhard/IDG

If your “Updates will resume on” date is before March 9, click the “Pause updates for 7 more days” link. (March 9 is a lucky number because the next Patch Tuesday is on March 10. Presumably Microsoft will fix this mess prior to that date. Presumably.)

In the past, I haven’t recommended that you extend the “Resume updates” date by pressing the “Pause updates for 7 more days” link because Microsoft has long warned that you can only extend updates after you’ve installed the currently available updates: 

After the pause limit is reached, you'll need to install the latest updates before you can pause updates again.

I’m delighted — and surprised — to tell you that, at least in my tests, that limitation no longer applies. It appears to me as if you can go back in and pause updates for seven more days at a clip, even if you already have Pause updates set.

That’s remarkably good news.

Questions? Observations? Vituperations? We’re all ears on AskWoody.

Source: With a fix for the 'temporary profile' bug still elusive, Win10 1903 and 1909 customers should check Pause Updates (Computerworld - Woody Leonhard)

• Replies 12
  • Views 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are not just bugs these are critical flaws that should NEVER happen.Microsoft has been making OSes since 1985 and this is 2020.

Disappointing...

I have KB 4532693 installed on 3 systems.. all are working fine.. 

There is nothing we can do about distributors of false information against Windows.

Apparently, they enjoy regular confusion. And they probably won't do it for free.

Anyway, the same web pages and authors are quite regularly posting such a lie.
Although their fictional problems are often downright idiotic, they have achieved their goal - people like to believe in idiots.
The proverb "if you want to be believed, lie!" works perfectly.
And unfortunately we can't do anything against such postings and writers.

The only way is to ignore such malicious authors.

I have a permanent hold on updates for Windows XP. As it turns out, this was a good thing :)

10 hours ago, Kalju said:

The only way is to ignore such malicious authors.

Woody is an experienced technical journalist who documents, analyses, and explains real problems that real users are experiencing with Windows and its updates.

It can't be inferred from any individual's lack of problems that no one has any. That's just plain illogical, and the web (including Microsoft) agrees that it is so.

Finally, no one makes anyone follow Woody's advice, ignore it if you wish. His advice, unlike Microsoft's updates, isn't forced on anyone and is IMO better quality to boot. :P

EDIT: The highly regarded Susan Bradley (AKA "Patch Lady") has posted an article disagreeing with Woody, on Woody's site... Patch Lady – not every side effect is widespread

IMO, well worth reading by proponents of both sides of the debate.

I personally consider Woody really paranoid, because he sometimes post news about "bugs" without verify if they are real or not, or sometimes he post a new talking about a bug like if the bug affect everyone using Windows, and when you see the souce in some case is just 1 or 2 users experiencieng the issue and not the whole Windows's users.

Israeli_Eagle

This only happens 99% most probably after update when Fast Restart is enabled!

1. Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings

Clipboard01.jpg.193856f6dfb1e6ee823eca2ef4cb8c52.jpg

2. Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options

Clipboard02.jpg.8c906b34b16f4118bb4291337268ddb3.jpg

10 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

This only happens 99% most probably after update when Fast Restart is enabled!

1. Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings

Spoiler

Clipboard01.jpg.193856f6dfb1e6ee823eca2ef4cb8c52.jpg

2. Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options

Clipboard02.jpg.8c906b34b16f4118bb4291337268ddb3.jpg

I have always had Fast Startup enabled and till now I have it enabled on all my five computers and no problem. Never have had any problem.
And I don't know any reason why it should cause any problems. Of course, anyone can select, what to do, turn it off or not. On some cases it is not needed at all, but on some cases it is very useful.

Israeli_Eagle
37 minutes ago, Kalju said:

I have always had Fast Startup enabled and till now I have it enabled on all my five computers and no problem. Never have had any problem.
And I don't know any reason why it should cause any problems. Of course, anyone can select, what to do, turn it off or not. On some cases it is not needed at all, but on some cases it is very useful.

Might be possible that MS Updates tries then to use sleep mode as part (S3 mode in RAM) in order to fast reboot, but for example CPUs with Hyper-Threading they have problems.

But for those who have problems with Windows all the time, try what Steve Jobs introduced in 1984,

and already then there were no bugs discovered.

Israeli_Eagle
On 2/23/2020 at 3:16 PM, Kalju said:

Can't comment, my main systems have always been Dell, Asus, Lenovo, a couple HP and one FUJITSU.

But I can comment that I NEVER buy ready-made machines, I prefer to build myself. :dance2:

Archived