What Version Of Linux?

uffbros

I have one of these HP Stream Netbooks that has 2GB Ram and is slow as hell running Win 10 Enterprise. What version of Linux or Ubuntu could I install  that would speed this thing up? I want easy to use and navigate...In other words the closest thing there is to Windows interface. Maybe Mint? Can you also give me links to download an .iso of your recommendations? Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, uffbros said:

What version of Linux or Ubuntu could I install  that would speed this thing up?

It depends on what you are doing/want to do on that netbook.

You can likely try live distros before to select the one you prefer. On top of the ones that you and others suggested, puppy linux (http://puppylinux.com/) is small/fast/easy to use.

All this machine is good for now with 2GB Ram and garbage processor is to check mail when I'm on vacation. Win 10 Enterprise is just sooooo freekin slow

@uffbros

Try out the live versions of Mint, MX, Pearl and Zorin and see which gives you the "smoother experience".  I should add that I´ve got a 64 bit version of Pearl 8 DE running on a 2006 Toshiba Satellite that has been upgraded from 1 to 2 GB RAM and it works like a dream. Try out 32 and 64 bit versions.  Here are the Zorin links:

https://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/360393-zorin-os-151-final/?tab=comments#comment-1536349

I tried the Mint MX one and it worked from the USB..but when I told it to install it wouldn't boot thereafter...says cant find disk..I'll just use the slow Win Enterprise since I'm only using the machine on vacations for email. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Linux Mint or Ubuntu, which has a fancy UI similar to Windows 10. You can get quick help from the community, which has a large user base.

P.S I am a long time Linux Mint user.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:21 PM, uffbros said:

All this machine is good for now with 2GB Ram and garbage processor is to check mail when I'm on vacation. Win 10 Enterprise is just sooooo freekin slow

Why not use your phone or tablet?

Archived