Google is warning Edge users of security risks, suggests switching browsers

Matrix

2019-11-04-image-4.png
A hot potato: Chrome still dominates the browser market, and it looks like Google will do anything to keep it that way, including showing a security warning to users of Microsoft’s Edge browser when they access the Chrome Web Store.

Edge has long lived in the shadow of Chrome, but Microsoft last year decided to rebuild its browser with the same Chromium platform used by Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, and more. One of the benefits of this is that Edge is compatible with extensions designed for Chrome.

According to NetMarketShare, Chrome has a 67 percent share of the browser market, while Edge has just under 6 percent. Those figures would suggest Chrome has little to worry about from Edge, but it’s still trying to lure users away from Microsoft’s product.

As spotted by Windows Latest, whenever someone accesses the Chrome Web Store using Edge, they’re met with a message that reads: “Google recommends switching to Chrome to use extensions securely.” It’s noted that the message doesn’t appear when using other Chromium-based browsers.

2020-02-20-image-4.png

Image credit: Windows Latest

The warning doesn’t prevent Edge users from safely installing and running Chrome extensions, but it could convince some people to switch to team Google as a way of ‘improving security,’ even though both browsers use Chromium.

This sort of behavior isn’t new. Google has shown similar warnings to Edge users who access its services in the past. Last year, the tech giant said it’s not blocking Edge, but won't be whitelisting it until the browser comes out of beta. It’s now out of beta, though the warnings are still appearing.

2020-02-20-image-4.jpg

"Chrome? You don't want that. Try Edge, instead. It's much better, honest."

Microsoft isn’t innocent when it comes to these sort of tactics, either. The company makes Edge the default browser in Windows and tries to dissuade users when they search for and install Chrome.

Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google is the most pathetic company on earth. really. they are a nagware.

I've been using Bing for 1 month now as a experiment for myself and I realized I don't even need Google to do my searches.

these things that Google does makes me hate them.

That's how they became  the #1  browser  they had better advertising  than everyone else  . Before they had Windows Defender baked into windows  and it was not widely used yet,  If you installed Avast  Free they said do you  want  to install Google  Chrome  and if you was not careful to opt out you  would install it anyway.  Whenever  you used Firefox  on Google Search it would say  do you want to Install Google Chrome  that it worked better than Firefox  then they made uBlock Origin  for Firefox  and ive not seen a ad by Google since. :hehe:

Proofs of this

Avast and Google Chrome

https://blog.avast.com/2009/12/03/avast-and-google-chrome/

Google plug-in puts Chrome inside IE

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2527984/google-plug-in-puts-chrome-inside-ie.html

I use google.com as my default search engine from within IE9. A pop-up ad keeps appearing every time I open IE9, that offers to install Google Chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/forum/AAAAP1KN0B0u_8RWVl1TzE/?hl=en&gpf=%23!msg%2Fchrome%2Fu_8RWVl1TzE%2Fw4XamvEmovAJ&msgid=w4XamvEmovAJ

When I load Mozilla Firefox I get a pop up window in the right hand side of the screen that asks me to install Google Chrome. How can I stop this from appearing. I have Google as my home page, and also have Chrome installed on my comp.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/916564

Google  has been doing  this for years  Also Microsoft  does it too since no one  uses Bing search as a 1st party other than the UK they have to use there OS to promote EDGE .  Every since they made windows 10 one of the things i didn't like about it was  they made it hard to change default apps and once you do   when you use another app it switches the default  its always was buggy . Microsoft was sued for forcing IE on users in the EU  and why they was a 2nd browser wars . Well Google forced Google on people that use Android and was sued  so now they changed it  at lest in the EU. Apple are still forcing users to use Apple products as defaults but are talking about changing  it . Only thing stops Big Tech from being worse than they are is being sued for Antitrust . I will never trust Tech that have to be forced to behave .:lmao:

Windows 10 Now Warns Users Not to Install Chrome or Firefox

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/276871-windows-10-now-warns-users-not-to-install-chrome-firefox

Windows 10 strat menu  tells  Firefox users to install EDGE

https://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/364422-windows-10-start-menu-suggests-firefox-users-switch-to-edge/

Microsoft  owns  a AD Company called Bing ADS and Google is a ad company , Most all browsers are supported by Ads  Difference is Google and Microsoft are there own ad companies  .   Google pay  Mozilla and Apple to use there ads  . Microsoft pay Waterfox  and Stratpage  ,DuckDuckGo (you can opt out with this one ) and Yahoo    to use there ads .   Some other browsers have less ads  than the mainstream ones . But people rather trust Ad companies with there security  and some even are delusional  to think these data harvesters have there back with privacy . the difference  is if you use Open Source you can reverse any changes they made like using DeGoogled Chromium  , Palemoon / Basilisk or you can  tweak Firefox yourself .;)

Closed source browsers  are just a dogs breakfast when it comes to privacy. People  who use  alternative browsers  had  it impounded in there brains to use Google Chrome every since  Google Chrome existed  . Now even Microsoft is doing it since they made a OS  with ads,   :tooth:

Archived