Microsoft extends plot to hide Windows 10 Local Accounts setup to rest of the world

Karlston

Microsoft extends plot to hide Windows 10 Local Accounts setup to rest of the world

We reported in September last year that Microsoft was trying to force Windows 10 users into setting up their PCs using Microsoft Accounts by hiding the already small option to use a local account.

skip-this-step.jpg

At the time the “feature” was confined to USA, but now WindowsUnited reports that the missing Local Account option has also extended to Germany.

Windows 10 users are still able to trick Windows into offering the option by unplugging their device from the internet during Setup, for example pressing the Flight Mode button and reloading the option page. Even then Microsoft works to steer users away from Local Accounts.

If you don’t mind giving Microsoft the power to erase your PC, an online account, of course, has its advantages, such as being able to reset your password from the cloud.

A local account has other advantages over a Microsoft account, however, such as increased privacy and not being tied to an online identity which itself can be hacked.

For now, Windows 10 users are still able to set up a local account via the usual control panel without issue, but we have to wonder how long this will last.

Source: Microsoft extends plot to hide Windows 10 Local Accounts setup to rest of the world  (MSPoweruser)

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know if this is across the board now? As far as I know, I have only seen this on OEM builds on pre-installed machines. With that said, I have not done a clean install using retail in awhile. Hopefully local will stay, never liked M$ account.

The only thing that constantly puts MS in the spotlights for this kind of moves is how reckless and rash it goes about implementing its goals. But if we want to be fair, these "goals" are what every digital firm is pushing for nowadays anyway. Just the other day, I saw a popup at Google Translate where I was notified they are no longer allowing translation histories unless the service is used with a signed-in Google account. It is negligible compared to what MS is up to in the article above but it gives us the picture.

2 hours ago, sam3971 said:

Do you know if this is across the board now?

The article claims that it was only in the US, but now also in Germany.

Installed 12 or 13 computers since Monday. Different manufacturers. 3 of the units were practically forcing an online account -- the verbiage has changed from "skip' to "offline account" to "limited experience" ... the moment you disconnect the ethernet cable it's as if none of this was ever an issue.

As a matter of fact, if you do the entire process offline it will go by that much faster - you will load into a Edge-screen Welcoming you that much faster.

Later, upon installation, always be sure to disable telemetry.

It is really very easy to install without a Microsoft Account.  It has never been hidden.  Did you notice the screenshot in the article is from one of the first editions of Windows?  I think the author wears a tinfoil hat.  I only install w/o a MS account for testing in a virtual machine, but my main drive is always with a MS account, and I would never install w/o an internet  connection.  I also do not disable telemetry as I never had, nor ever will have a tinfoil hat.  Signing in with a MS account just makes the whole process much simpler, and smoother.  The whole article is click-bait even going to so far as to say that MS would swoop down on your machine, and delete all the files from your hard drive!  What a bunch of malarkey!  And there you have it boys and girls -- My own humble opinion!

The Windows 10 won't delete files when its not buggy. Last time with the 1809 build update deleted files but not because of online accounts. We can customize Windows 10 installer to become easy and unattended. I prefer local account with telemetry disabled.

4 hours ago, dhjohns said:

It is really very easy to install without a Microsoft Account.  It has never been hidden.  Did you notice the screenshot in the article is from one of the first editions of Windows?  I think the author wears a tinfoil hat.  I only install w/o a MS account for testing in a virtual machine, but my main drive is always with a MS account, and I would never install w/o an internet  connection.  I also do not disable telemetry as I never had, nor ever will have a tinfoil hat.  Signing in with a MS account just makes the whole process much simpler, and smoother.  The whole article is click-bait even going to so far as to say that MS would swoop down on your machine, and delete all the files from your hard drive!  What a bunch of malarkey!  And there you have it boys and girls -- My own humble opinion!

Yes, why would anyone believe, that our info should ever be abused by an altruistic beacon of goodness like Microsoft? And yet another socalled "account" is a true blessing. I already have a banana-E-mail with a banana-account and a banana-password when I wish to buy bananas, so how could another account possibly be considered an unneccesary nuissance? BTW: Any trace of sarcasm is random and coincedental!

I use Windows as a service.

8 hours ago, sam3971 said:

Do you know if this is across the board now? As far as I know, I have only seen this on OEM builds on pre-installed machines. With that said, I have not done a clean install using retail in awhile. Hopefully local will stay, never liked M$ account.

I installed a copy of windows 10 v1909 iso recently and encountered this problem. I think i used the en-GB iso but it could possibly have been the en-US iso.

zanderthunder

i just waiting for anyone to release Win10 ISO with automated OOBE process, and forcing to setup under local account instead with disabled telemetries and so on. So I can install Win 10 and straight away to the desktop without that effing OOBE.

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols predicted  this in 2015 - Microsoft's  Goal   is to have everyone tied into their cloud,

Chrome OS, just like Windows 10, can work without an Internet connection or the cloud, but both only really show to their best advantage with their respective clouds. They are both hybrid desktop/cloud operating systems.

Looking ahead, I see 90 percent and more of users working with hybrid desktop/cloud operating systems. Most people are already well on their way to not using conventional desktop and laptops at all. This trend, even as tablet sales slow, will only continue.

Apple is taking Mac OS X to the cloud, but as anyone who has suffered with iCloud knows, Apple has a way to go.

There will be a few people who will still use conventional desktops. These are the ones who want real control over their hardware and software. They're the ones who want real security. In short, they're the same people who are already using Linux.

So, by 2020, in a very limited way, Linux may be the top "desktop" operating system. It's just that there won't be many traditional desktops left in use. Everyone else will be working with one foot in the cloud and the other in a variety of devices, some of which, like Chromebooks and Surfaces, will look like desktops.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-there-will-never-be-a-year-of-the-linux-desktop/

He was off by a few years  because he didn't  think about the Millions holding out   on Windows 7 but in less than 3 years 2023 when Windows 8.1 runs out of updates  it will even be hard to find a browser that updates for Windows 7 . So Windows users  really  want have a choice but to join Windows 10 users that have there :moon: stuck in the cloud with no control over  there Computers  the  people that  want full control will be on Linux because it will the only  traditional desktops left .Apple  IOS   and Google Android already require  a account  if you want to use there services  but the problem with Microsoft services  they yet to offer anything a consumer  would really want .

Most every thing they offer only cater to businesses  that are already moving everything into the cloud . Even Facebook is killing there Windows 10 app UWP and there cloud is a joke for consumers unlike Android and IOS were  they have lots of offerings  in the cloud for consumers. Microsoft has Bing that no one uses  ,they have Office  that is for businesses and education but its not really  needed for the latter because Schools in the  USA  get buy by just using Chrome OS another hybrid desktop/cloud operating system. they have no video platform like YouTube and  No Social  Media  Platform . LinkedIn  caters to businesses  , Skype is being phased out in favor of Teams that caters to businesses.  It all fine and dandy if your a business  but consumers  are not there home users stuck with a crippleware watered down  version  of windows 10  unless they steal the version that is only for enterprises . All is  left is Windows 32 programs  that been around since windows 95/98/XP  that get minor updates that i got bored of in 2011 . :lmao:

138118940_2020-02-26_04-29.png

:rofl:

As a consumer , ive not needed  Windows  since 2015 I just have it because  i can and as far as Web Apps that    only work in the cloud  i have a app were i can make my own on Linux using a chromium or Firefox  backend   not  the dreaded electron  like Big Tech and lazy devs use that use as much memory  as a browser. the day I have to sign in to M$ just to use there  stuff will be the day i no longer use it keep in mind i never use other OS  that you have to sign in there just becoming more like Google  without the Google services  that the masses of consumers are addicted too.  I never signed to acess the internet and  im not going to start  now  bad enough having to sign into my ISP and having to use a vpn so they can't see what i'm doing i dont need a Big bother like Big tech looking over my shoulder ether  they should be sued for invading  peoples privacy.   :clap:

Archived