This 31TB Samsung super SSD is now almost affordable

Karlston

This 31TB Samsung super SSD is now almost affordable

Em9i2yW43Qx8K45Vg6hB8V-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Samsung)

It’s been nearly five years since Samsung unveiled its PM1643 SSD range, and in that time, the average price of its highest capacity model (the 30.72TB MZILT30THMLA) has fallen steadily in line with the wider industry.

You can now buy the drive for a mere $8,379 (roughly £6,500) from US-based online retailer Serversupply, after a two percent discount applied at checkout.

At just over $270 per TB, Samsung's drive is about three times more expensive than entry level, consumer-grade SSDs, making this a very approachable deal.

But this drive is a different beast altogether; it doesn’t use the usual SATA connector, opting instead for the enterprise-grade SAS interface.

Samsung claims it can reach random read/write speeds of up to 400K/50K IOPS with sequential read/write speeds of 2.1 and 1.7GBps respectively.

Targeted at data centres, it comes with a five-year warranty with a maximum recommended one drive write per day (essentially one petabyte write per month). 

Note, while the drive is the standard width (2.5 inches), it's far thicker than the usual 9.5mm.

Source: This 31TB Samsung super SSD is now almost affordable (TechRadar)

• Replies 10
  • Views 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Karlston said:

two percent discount applied at checkout.

Wow almost affordable now at only just over $270 per TB indeed with such a generous discount 2% as well bet their expecting a rush for these🤣

1 hour ago, Mach1 said:

Wow almost affordable now at only just over $270 per TB indeed with such a generous discount 2% as well bet their expecting a rush for these🤣

Indeed, I can't decide whether to get ten or an even dozen :lol:

I bought a 240MB SCSI HD for $A1,200 in the very early 90's (maybe it was the late 80's), for my Macintosh. That's around $A5,000,000 per TB, so this is a real bargain. :)

7 minutes ago, cosy said:

Who really need so an HDD?

True. If I had one, I could have stored everything I have ever downloaded from the Internet since the very early 90's, and still have space left over.

At the consumer-grade SSD price of $90/TB, this would still be priced at ~$2,800.

Storage is one positive side of this, the negative side is when it fails!!

One can put almost everything he has ever done on the net his entire life on such an HDD 😁

51 minutes ago, Karlston said:

I bought a 240MB SCSI HD for $A1,200 in the very early 90's

You must of had to much money back then Karl :P

My wife calls me Mack1-Scrooge I've never paid more than $400 for a Pc and never spend more than $25 when I get dragged out for dinner :P

22 minutes ago, cosy said:

Storage is one positive side of this, the negative side is when it fails!!

Agreed mate need two with one as a backup :P

43 minutes ago, cosy said:

When it comes to data recovery, how long will it take to check it?

True and what about when it comes to being defragged? 

Israeli_Eagle
5 hours ago, Karlston said:

I bought a 240MB SCSI HD for $A1,200 in the very early 90's (maybe it was the late 80's), for my Macintosh.

I guess you paid then the Apple-tax. :lmao:

Actually I also had back then a nice Quantum SCSI 240 MB, but on Amiga and cost much much less.

4 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

I guess you paid then the Apple-tax. :lmao:

:lol:

It was a bare Seagate drive bought from a local PC dealer of the time, not an Apple product. I remember him being nervous and asking me if I knew what I was doing buying such a big expensive drive... :)

Probably my first experience self-upgrading computer hardware.

4 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Actually I also had back then a nice Quantum SCSI 240 MB, but on Amiga and cost much much less.

Quantum... I remember using Quantum Fireball (?) drives for many years.

Israeli_Eagle
8 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Quantum... I remember using Quantum Fireball (?) drives for many years.

This one exactly... :coolwink:

lps240s.jpg.5e84a2a5bfdf7f16bea8670691230e80.jpg

Archived