Installing Windows 8.1 on Windows 10 laptop

blueriver649

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are better off with Windows 10 Enterprise version.

www.ghacks.net/2017/03/17/microsoft-blocks-updates-for-new-cpus-on-windows-7-and-8-1/

1 hour ago, blueriver649 said:

Hi there,

Is it possible that I can install Windows 8.1 on Windows 10 laptop? thanks.

1. First, explain what a Windows 10 laptop means;
  2. How do you want to install Windows 8.1, ie as the primary OP system or as the second OP system;
  3. What kind of computer is it, ie is it specific or common and what is its specs.
  4. Before we know what a computer is it and what your question means, nothing can be said.

yes its possible to install Windows 8.1 but nothing guarantees that drivers will be available and 8.1 will be in usable state.

Depends on the CPU, the latest generations CPU4s from Intel and AMD are Windows 10 only.

If you use a non-Windows 10 O.S., you will get messages in Windows about not supported CPU and also Windows updates will give problems.

When use Windows 8.1, special reason?

Windows 10 is a collection of the best features of Windows 7/8/8.1 in one O.S.

You could also use Oracle Virtualbox to run Windows 8.1 in Windows 10 (depending on what CPU, RAM en storage you have).

CPU  not emulated . VirtualBox will show the same cpu which brings the same problems in virtualized environment minus few things that virtualized (GPU, Network ...).

Yes, but his main O.S. will receive Windows updates and will not get these unsupported messages.

Maybe he needs Windows 8.1 for one specific program of hardware.

Thank a lot for quick replies, Gents. I have a laptop with windows 10 preinstalled, bought it 3 years ago worked perfect fine until big update from MS(could be my perception). The Screen started turn snow white, White screen of death and froze I updated BIOS, reset BIOS updated anything in Device manager, used Microsoft Basic Adapter ......I believed this is a software problem, it is something about Parameter Service.If it was Video card, I could n't use my computer anymore. I checked Reliability and Event viewer , anytime crashing happened, it was about Parameter Service so I want to install 8.1 to test it out.One instance I were able to use my computer for 2 days without any problem.

PS I don't use my computer for playing games.

ParameterService.txt IntelParameterService.txt

Capture.PNG

Greetings @blueriver649,

I would suggest to you do not install Windows 8.1 OS on your system as drivers for the same is not available on Acer's website(Only Windows® 10 64-bit's drivers available) as seen in screenshot.

Screenshot-20200220-235744.jpg

Do perform a clean install of Windows 10 OS, this may resolve issue hopefully.

Regards.

It is possible to install Windows 8.1 on a laptop that came pre-installed with windows 10. I recently did it with a new laptop just bought at the end of last year as Win 10 simply sucks and seems to be in a perpetually unstable beta state.

The only thing to be careful about is that some manufactures unfortunately do not provide new drivers for Win 8.1 anymore and some new program versions (notably from Adobe or Office 2019) are not supported on that OS.

If your laptop/hardware was bought three years ago as you say, chances are very high that you can find all the drivers you need and in many cases (Nvidia for instance) you can use the newest drivers still provided for Windows 7, the will work on Win 8.1 as well.... 

Thanks MrZeb, I just installed Windows 8.1 and have problem with update and Drivers. I am still unable to update my display driver, is there anyway to solve this problem

• 2 weeks later...

http://dl.driverpack.io/driverpacks/repack/Video_Intel-NT/Intel/FORCED/6Xx64/HD600_21.20.16.5077/Intel-FORCED-6Xx64-HD600_21.20.16.5077-drp.zip

windows 8.1 driver for your gpu

Archived