U.S. lawfare against Huawei won't save its faltering campaign

dufus

879d6b2164b5444791efa1cc89c25715.png

Washington just can't leave Huawei alone. On Friday, the United States Department of Justice announced a series of new charges against the Shenzhen-based company including allegations of racketeering and technology theft.

The legal attack against the firm is an extension of its global campaign against it, with efforts to ban it from international 5G networks, blacklist it from doing business within the United States and deprive it of core technology through the use of "lawfare" methods such as this.

Washington's criminal charges are opportunistically pushed against the company in order to damage its reputation and shore up political support for pressure, which also included the push to extradite the company's CFO Meng Wanzhou.

The announcement of new charges comes at a strategically timed moment: The White House and Pentagon were reported to have recently agreed on new restrictions on exporting American parts to the company after a disagreement. Here, the use of legal charges is subsequently being used to shore up public support for more pressure on the company rather than the serious pursuit of justice.

At the same time, the decision is an obvious reaction to the development that their overseas campaign against the company is failing by an overwhelming margin, and also the inability of officials to find consensus around an alternative. With the failure of pressure to ban the company in the United Kingdom being a drastic turning point and Germany and France now also ruling out bans, America is left to resort to dirty lawfare.

The United States is often assumed to be a country governed by the rule of law. That is true to some extent, but the growing power of the country's executive means that the country's legal apparatus is more susceptible to politics than people realize.

Whilst the White House does not control the country's courts, it has the direct authority to issue commands to a number of legal-orientated institutions which fall under its scope such as the Department of Justice, utilizing contacts within those organizations to its own political gain.

In weaponizing the latest claims, the goal of the administration is not to actually pursue any justice or legal outcomes against the company at all, but to shore up support and political capital to push greater restrictions against it in American markets. This is necessary as the administration has repeatedly faced opposition from Silicon Valley against its Huawei campaign, as well as the Pentagon.

This week, officials met and reportedly agreed on a way forward to advance these restrictions after previous negotiations failed. The release of allegations is thus designed to purposefully discredit the company's reputation and therefore enhance Washington's hand against domestic resistance to it.

However, it is also an output of the fact that the administration's global campaign against the company is failing, badly. It reveals desperation and that they are running out of ideas. In Europe, Washington has all but lost, the unwillingness of the United Kingdom to ban it from its 5G network was a hammer blow against the campaign.

Subsequently, in the past week conservatives in Germany have retreated from their demands for a ban and France officially ruled out banning it on Thursday. There is little question the White House's lobbying has failed, and in the process of doing so they have also failed to find consensus over an alternative, which has ranged from longshot ideas such as building an original U.S. 5G provider to subsidizing rivals or even buying Nokia.

Given this, the latest charges against the Chinese company ought to be interpreted with a great deal of skepticism and viewed cautiously within the political context as to which they are emerging. The allegations are not about justice or the rule of law, they are strictly and exclusively about politics.

But in doing so, it is also a last throw of the dice by a desperate Washington. It seems it is intent on digging itself into a deeper hole, than reassessing this reality and readjusting its stance.

sauce

• Replies 9
  • Views 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chinese propaganda news sites and Huawei trying to  fight there battle in the court of public opinion, riling up nationalist sentiment wont save them in a court of law were the DOJ has 10 years of evidence against them they been under investigation long before Trump or the trade war  , They  will have there day in court to try to prove there innocence were they try to leave public opinion out of it and stick the evidence.

The only thing Huawei has done is create a better product.  For THAT they are chastised.

24 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

The only thing Huawei has done is create a better product.  For THAT they are chastised.

well you take ZTE  they got fine $1 billion for less . It  dont matter if they make a good product  that not what they was charged on they charged for racketeering  under the Anti Mafia law and they going take 6 more companies  down with them .

Huawei  is charged with  16 charges of racketeering, fraud, money laundering, theft of robot arm and source code ZTE  was only charge  with illegally exporting U.S. technology and they plead guilty to it and agreed to pay the 1 billion dollar fine.

Huawei didn't respond to a request for comment, but told The Wall Street Journal that the indictment “is part of the Justice Department’s attempt to irrevocably damage Huawei’s reputation and its business for reasons related to competition rather than law enforcement.”

As for the RICO charge, “the ‘racketeering enterprise’ that the government charged today is nothing more than a contrived repackaging of a handful of civil allegations that are almost 20 years old,.” the company said.

10 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Huawei didn't respond to a request for comment, but told The Wall Street Journal that the indictment “is part of the Justice Department’s attempt to irrevocably damage Huawei’s reputation and its business for reasons related to competition rather than law enforcement.”

As for the RICO charge, “the ‘racketeering enterprise’ that the government charged today is nothing more than a contrived repackaging of a handful of civil allegations that are almost 20 years old,.” the company said.

Your argument is weak because this is not about   backdoors and such  they are bringing these accusations into court, where they can be scrutinized by a judge, jury and Huawei's lawyers . If the DOJ didn't think  they had a case they could win  they wouldn't of bothered. This has nothing to do with backdoors or even Huawei CFO Meng Wanzho's charges of Bank fraud . But shes also a defended in this case as well.

13 minutes ago, steven36 said:

If the DOJ didn't think  they had a case they could win  they wouldn't of bothered.

When we get a new administration in the White House I will have faith in the DOJ.  For now they are nothing more than Trump's lawyers, and I believe they are only acting in his self interests.  The U.S. government right now is full of corruption, liars, cheats, and narcissists. They only serve themselves, and don't abide by the U.S. constitution. Once they are out of office there will be countless charges against each and every one of them in state and federal courts.  I have more trust in Huawei, and for that matter the Chinese, than I do in Washington. 

10 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

When we get a new administration in the White House I will have faith in the DOJ.  For now they are nothing more than Trump's lawyers, and I believe they are only acting in his self interests.  The U.S. government right now is full of corruption, liars, cheats, and narcissists. They only serve themselves, and don't abide by the U.S. constitution. Once they are out of office there will be countless charges against every one of them in state and federal courts.  I have more trust in Huawei, and for that matter the Chinese, than I do in Washington. 

We may have one before this is over but my or your mistrust of the Justice System don't stop court . And what you saying is you just guessing  what will happen to them , The worse thing ever happened  to people in Goverment before was they lost there job . even when charges got brought against the CIA  they was patron .So histroy is not on your side  of anything really happening to them. I dont deal in opinion's of things not happen yet i live my life one day at a time and i dont have a crystal ball to see what going to happen in the future nether do you.  

4 minutes ago, steven36 said:

We may have one before this is over but my or your mistrust of the Justice System don't stop court . And what you saying is you just guessing  what will happen to them , The worse thing ever happened  to people in Goverment before was they lost there job . even when charges got brought against the CIA  they was patron .So histroy is not on your side  of anything really happening to them. I dont deal in opinion's of things not happen yet i live my life one day at a time and i dont have a crystal ball to see what going to happen in the future nether do you.  

Absolutely. Given enough time we will both see what happens.  I live one day at a time, and try to be optimistic.

1 hour ago, dhjohns said:

Absolutely. Given enough time we will both see what happens.  I live one day at a time, and try to be optimistic.

But what  your talking about  here  a new administration in the White House  It would  not help Huawei so i dont see how you could be optimistic.or  even were you make any sense.

https://newslagoon.com/nancy-pelosi-warns-europe-over-huawei-5g-risks/1643/

You seem  to want to place  the blame on some political party when both parties fell the same. it seem to have bipartisan support.

Pelosi Joins Trump in Warning Europe of Huawei’s 5G Threat

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-14/pelosi-says-she-agrees-with-trump-on-threat-posed-by-huawei

Even back as far 2018  it seems it did

Huawei is a 'rare point of agreement' between GOP, Democrats

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/445729-cnn-correspondent-says-confronting-huawei-is-rare-point-of-agreement-between

That's why i laugh at people who take political sides it dont matter who you vote for always  they going  to do things you don't like  , I try to not even care what they do and just worry about myself  , because they  going to do what they believe is best , not what you believe or I believe  is best.  No one has ever got in the White House and done what they said they was going to do the rest of Goverment want even allow it so there all good lairs .

Archived