Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
steven36

It's official: In May, Microsoft will close the door, lock the vault, brick over the entrance of dreaded Windows 10 1809

Recommended Posts

steven36

Now let us never speak of this again

 

136503401_shutterstock_bricked_door.jpg

 

Microsoft has confirmed that the ill-fated Windows 10 1809 update has just three months left to live.

 

On Wednesday, Redmond issued an official notice that, as of May 12, 2020, the error-prone "Update of the Damned" will stop receiving upgrades, and holdouts still using the operating system version, for some reason, will be advised to move to at least the November 2019 build of the operating system.

 

This will impact all editions of Windows 10 1809: Pro, Home, Pro for Education, Pro for Workstations, and IoT Core.

 

"These editions will no longer receive security updates after May 12, 2020," Microsoft explained. "Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be directed to update their device to the latest version of Windows 10 to remain supported."

 

The announcement is not entirely unexpected. Back in December, Microsoft listed May as the likely end of life date for the update when it posted its plans for updates in the coming year.

 

Holdouts have in recent months been getting the nudge to move on to the new build: not that the sane should need much in the way of prodding to do so.

 

Emitted in October 2018 after seeing its release fast-tracked by Microsoft, the 1809 build was almost immediately beset with problems that were caused all manner of chaos from disappearing files to BSOD crashes.

 

The entire affair was such a mess that it led to something of an existential crisis for the Windows team. It was only after five months of ironing out bugs that the release was deemed to be stable enough for business use, and it was quickly supplanted by the far more reliable Fall 2019 update.

 

Suffice to say, this is one episode in the Windows 10 saga that Microsoft will be more than happy to turn the page on once and for all come May 12.

 

Source

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Edward Raja
1 hour ago, steven36 said:

This will impact all editions of Windows 10 1809: Pro, Home, Pro for Education, Pro for Workstations, and IoT Core.

Not really "all" editions. Since v1809 also have Enterprise LTSC, this announcement means nothing for those have installed Enterprise LTSC.

Edited by Edward Raja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steven36
31 minutes ago, Edward Raja said:

Not really "all" editions. Since v1809 also have Enterprise LTSC, this announcement means nothing for those have installed Enterprise LTSC.

It dont say nothing about Enterprise Cant you read?  Since Enterprise  can't be bought legally by consumers no way that would not matter to the masses that got windows 10 free legally . If you pirate  thats your problem  your not a legal user so your opinion  don't matter no how , you dont have no support  and they can detective you any time they wish. If something happen  go explain to them you use Enterprise they would take you to court . Anyway if you pirate the older versions of LTSB have better backward  support . Ive not used Windows 10 since RS3   , RS2 was  the last good version  of Windows 10 , ALL LTSB  have 10 years support  so why would you want to use 1809 when the older ones are more stable?  LTSB 2016 is most used version  by far.

 

 

Pros of LTSB 2016:

  • Very popular, most widely used version by far.

  • Improvements from anniversary update present.

  • Settings app more feature rich.

  • Stability is very strong

  • Apps that require 1607 or newer will run.

  • Improvements from 1507-1607 are present.

Edited by steven36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Edward Raja
21 minutes ago, steven36 said:

It dont say nothing about Enterprise Cant you read?  Since Enterprise  can't be bought legally by consumers no way that would not matter to the masses that got windows 10 free legally . If you pirate  thats your problem  your not a legal user so your opinion  don't matter no how , you dont have no support  and they can detective you any time they wish. If something happen  go explain to them you use Enterprise they would take you to court . Anyway if you pirate the older versions of LTSB have better backward  support . Ive not used Windows 10 since RS3   , RS2 was  the last good version  of Windows 10 , ALL LTSB  have 10 years support  so why would you want to use 1809 when the older ones are more stable?  LTSB 2016 is most used version  by far.

 

 

Pros of LTSB 2016:

  • Very popular, most widely used version by far.

  • Improvements from anniversary update present.

  • Settings app more feature rich.

  • Stability is very strong

  • Apps that require 1607 or newer will run.

  • Improvements from 1507-1607 are present.

nonetheless, lets wait for upcoming LTSC anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steven36
1 hour ago, Edward Raja said:

nonetheless, lets wait for upcoming LTSC anyway...

Why?   its not going be any better. Now they going to release one buggy version  and one SP like version  to consumers , The older Windows becomes  the more stable  it  become . If i was going Pirate  i would pirate  the best  were all my programs  that work on  Windows 8,1 will still  work on it .The biggest problem I had  with Windows 10 was upgrades break  some cracked programs i use and upgrades mess up the boot loader for dual booting Linux so  i have to clean install  if i upgrade Windows ,  So  I went back  to Windows 8.1 were i have a legal key too. People  have been  Useing  LTSB 2016  for years it very stable so is Windows 8.1 . The  point of using LTS  is not having to upgrade .

 

136509515_2020-02-12_22-12.png

1809  has a bad stigma  about it  but so do Windows 10,  but 1809 is part of the reason  why. In the comments of the opening post  some people that dont  want to upgrade  are talking about  locking the updates  down and never updating again it  for some reason. I guess because of the bad experience they had with it .

136509599_2020-02-12_22-21.png

.

PS: Like i was talking about yesterday that why  most people are scared  to try Linux they been :shit:  on so much on Windows they assume  all OS is like that ,. They rather use a OS without updates and take a chance of being infected than trying something  new.

 

One guy that use to make  and post portables here  he never done updates  on Windows  after  he installed  it and he always was fine, He never trusted updates .  He not the only one some Windows 7 users stop updating  way back when they started back porting telemetry  from Windows 10 to older OS. Only people who like upgrading  and seeking updates  are Fanboys and Insiders  , After 1809  it was the straw that broke the camels back , many are scared to upgrade. They think  that it will brick there system . :lol:

Edited by steven36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...