Win 7 Security Only Updates after 20th Jan 2020

funkyy

Ok, first of all I hope I'm posting this in the correct place...believe me, I'm trying to do so, so please don't set the dogs on me!!

I'm using Win7 Pro (X64) and I have always had automatic updates switched OFF, preferring just to

manually download Security Only updates after checking on Nsane etc that they were "all-clear" of MS spying or MS cockups.

I installed the "fix" that is supposed to allow Win 7 to receive security patches until 2023...yes, I know that MS might change things

to make that "fix" redundant...but here's my doubt/question:-

I believe these security patches for Win 7 can't be downloaded manually, only by turning back on automatic updates in the OS?,

so do you think it's safe to turn automatic updates on? I mean what's to stop MS from force upgrading my Win 7 to Win 10 or

sending down some other kind of "telemetry" that I haven't asked for?

If there's a danger of something like this happening, I'll just continue with automatic updates turned off, but I'd like to just have it clear

what the risks are of MS messing my Win 7 up if I switch automatic updates on.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, funkyy said:

... believe me ... so please don't set the dogs on me!!

So many with dogs, so few with understanding.   😉

WindowsAddict
44 minutes ago, funkyy said:

I believe these security patches for Win 7 can't be downloaded manually, only by turning back on automatic updates in the OS?,

Those ESU (Extended security updates) will be available to download from usual locations but won't be available to download with windows update. @abbodi1406's fix will allow the users to install them manually. You don't need to turn automatic updates on.

Things may change, when the ESU will come live, follow this MDL thread for the updates and more info,

Bypass Windows 7 Extended Security Updates Eligibility

Site: https://forums.mydigitallife.net
Sharecode: /threads/bypass-windows-7-extended-security-updates-eligibility.80606/unread

Archived