need your advice on file protection software

trebleone

hi guys. need your advice on what type of software can i use to share protected files. at the moment im looking for a free suggestions.as i just started my work plan.. noticed nordlocker on tech subreddit that encrypts files and saves them password protected. paid but has a free trial.actually seems as decent possibility. any other ideas or alternatives? 

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only give advice on Winrar as its what i have always used. It passwords and encrypts and an official license is not expensive. All future updates are free.

Always used 7-zip. Totally free.

Would recommend 7-zip too, free, portable and can be used with a simple command line.

Otherwise, it's also possible to put the files in an encrypted container with veracrypt.

I switched to 7-zip at one point for a while but ran into extraction problems not often, but frequently enough to where I just went back to good old Winrar, that has extracted things 7-zip had problems with.

17 hours ago, trebleone said:

hi guys. need your advice on what type of software can i use to share protected files. at the moment im looking for a free suggestions.as i just started my work plan.. noticed nordlocker on tech subreddit that encrypts files and saves them password protected. paid but has a free trial.actually seems as decent possibility. any other ideas or alternatives? 

If you want to encrypt files & save them password protected as you write, I would recommend AxCrypt:

https://www.axcrypt.net/

A while ago they made it necessary to have an account and register an e-mail, but that is only necessary for the first installation. I used a simple throw-away "10 minutes mail" account (search for this or similar in case you are not aware of such services) and that's it - you yourself just have to remember that mail address together with the corresponding AxCrypt ID in case you want to install/use the program on several computers.

The settings let you use it completely offline anyway, but if you want to have some additional features such as (half-)automatic key sharing and slightly higher encryption, there is a premium version, for which you probably should sign up with an e-mail address that you actually use.

Anyhow, I never had the need for the Premium features and I use the free version (with the fake mail address) for many years to encrypt important files that I then share via e-mail or sync with my other computers via Dropbox. The program seamlessly integrates in the background with the workflow of opening, changing content and saving the encrypted files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can get

On 2/5/2020 at 8:58 PM, trebleone said:

noticed nordlocker on tech subreddit that encrypts files and saves them password protected. paid but has a free trial.actually seems as decent possibility. any other ideas or alternatives? 

I think it is very simple,how about the AES Crypt?It is best at protecting folders with passwords,but it doesn't seem to be friend for beginners.As well as this program,i have used it on my Windows 10 computer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived