RAM addition

Betts1964

My PC Dell inspirion 1650 has 2 RAM slots with the capacity of 16 GB. I tried adding more RAM to it from 8 to 16 GB. After I updated it, I RC on my PC and selected properties and noticed it said 8 GB of RAM instead of 16. Then I switched the old stick where the original was and put the old in the other slot. Still noticed that it only listed as 8. Which I believe means both sticks are fine and the unused slot is bad. 

Then I went to crucial.com and and did a scan there. When the scan was done, it said one slot had 8GB of RAM and the other slot was empty both times when did the scan. Is this an accurate way to verify if the slot is bad? If not, is there another way of checking the slots with software?

Thx

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JohnnyBravo41
9 minutes ago, Betts1964 said:

My PC Dell inspirion 1650 has 2 RAM slots with the capacity of 16 GB. I tried adding more RAM to it from 8 to 16 GB. After I updated it, I RC on my PC and selected properties and noticed it said 8 GB of RAM instead of 16. Then I switched the old stick where the original was and put the old in the other slot. Still noticed that it only listed as 8. Which I believe means both sticks are fine and the unused slot is bad. 

Then I went to crucial.com and and did a scan there. When the scan was done, it said one slot had 8GB of RAM and the other slot was empty both times when did the scan. Is this an accurate way to verify if the slot is bad? If not, is there another way of checking the slots with software?

Thx

Sounds like one of your DIMM slots is dead.... I am assuming that you have tried to check by putting a stick of RAM in the "Bad" DIMM slot only and seeing if the PC will boot up or not...

you did not mention whether it was DIMM Slot #1 or DIMM Slot #2

Israeli_Eagle

Besides that... RAM on Dual Channel only works with 2 totally identical DIMMs!!

So I hope you bought them as a set. And you might also have to change in BIOS settings.

1 hour ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Besides that... RAM on Dual Channel only works with 2 totally identical DIMMs!!

So I hope you bought them as a set. And you might also have to change in BIOS settings.

Well, the guy at best buy that works in geek squad said it was compatible so I assume it does. This PC is a dell inspiron 1650 and according to crucial.com and this is the RAM that he provided  https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Performance-1600MHz-PC3-12800-Desktop/dp/B012ASAWNE   Is this compatible?

1 hour ago, JohnnyBravo41 said:

Sounds like one of your DIMM slots is dead.... I am assuming that you have tried to check by putting a stick of RAM in the "Bad" DIMM slot only and seeing if the PC will boot up or not...

you did not mention whether it was DIMM Slot #1 or DIMM Slot #2

I tried the RAM that came with the PC when it was bought and the PC booted both times fine. When I added the new RAM to the other slot and it wouldnt boot. I then tried the new RAM alone and it wouldnt boot. My assumption is the stick is bad. Am I correct or is it not compatible?

thx

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, Betts1964 said:

Well, the guy at best buy that works in geek squad said it was compatible so I assume it does. This PC is a dell inspiron 1650 and according to crucial.com and this is the RAM that he provided  https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Performance-1600MHz-PC3-12800-Desktop/dp/B012ASAWNE   Is this compatible?

And again...

Because you wanted upgrade to 16 GB you need at least 2 DIMMs with the same basic specs (1600-CL11), because every BIOS has only one RAM settings!! But still might be only half speed (Single Channel, 64 Bit), because full speed (Dual Channel, 128 Bit) only works with 2 totally identical DIMMs. Usually they are only bought as set, because made in different months can be sometimes already slightly different.

And any RAM you install needs anyway the correct BIOS settings.

I would recommend this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Signature-PC3-12800-1600MHz-Heatshield/dp/B007HZTD86/

This set would work for sure after settings also correctly in BIOS.

15 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

And again...

Because you wanted upgrade to 16 GB you need at least 2 DIMMs with the same basic specs (1600-CL11), because every BIOS has only one RAM settings!! But still might be only half speed (Single Channel, 64 Bit), because full speed (Dual Channel, 128 Bit) only works with 2 totally identical DIMMs. Usually they are only bought as set, because made in different months can be sometimes already slightly different.

And any RAM you install needs anyway the correct BIOS settings.

Yes, they are both 1600-cl11.  System type is 64 bit. So this is a BIOS issue or I should have 2 identical sticks of RAM even though they are both 1600-cl11?  Also, this is an Inspiron 3650. Sorry about that.

Israeli_Eagle
18 minutes ago, Betts1964 said:

Yes, they are both 1600-cl11.  System type is 64 bit. So this is a BIOS issue? Also, this is an Inspiron 3650. Sorry about that.

BIOS settings probably (timing settings)... But mixing RAM is never good anyway.

And system type is not the same as RAM, dual channel (128 Bit) is already standard 15+ years.

https://beebom.com/single-channel-vs-dual-channel-memory/

And identical means... Same name, company, full specs (incl dozens timings) and better also made at same month!

Israeli_Eagle

Here as example is my RAM and all specs (you can see yours for free in HWiNFO64):

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.cd33af337bdab2c3345414996e6c2621.jpg

Is a set of 2 identical DIMMs (2x8GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 CL 16).

JohnnyBravo41
3 hours ago, Betts1964 said:

I tried the RAM that came with the PC when it was bought and the PC booted both times fine. When I added the new RAM to the other slot and it wouldnt boot. I then tried the new RAM alone and it wouldnt boot. My assumption is the stick is bad. Am I correct or is it not compatible?

thx

you figured it out already... the new stick of 8 GB Ram you bought at Best Buy is dead/faulty....  I recommend you taking it back to Best Buy and exchanging it, also, you might want to take your Desktop (or Laptop ) Dell in with you to show them you are right...I looked up your inspiron 1650 and it shows both Desktop Mini tower and Laptop for that 1650 model...

also, don't work inside your computer case without grounding yourself first..never work on carpet or in socks...recommend tile/woodor Lenolium flooring and rubber soles...it is very possible that you damaged the new RAM stick yourself...not saying you did, but just becareful...

and yes, both sticks need to be identical as Eagle posted above...

hope this helps

Israeli_Eagle
4 hours ago, JohnnyBravo41 said:

you figured it out already... the new stick of 8 GB Ram you bought at Best Buy is dead/faulty....  I recommend you taking it back to Best Buy and exchanging it, also, you might want to take your Desktop (or Laptop ) Dell in with you to show them you are right...I looked up your inspiron 1650 and it shows both Desktop Mini tower and Laptop for that 1650 model...

Most probably both were ok, but one might be killed!! Because there are also different voltages.

And the seller/shop cannot know which RAM he has exactly in his PC. So... Minimal socks knowledge is needed. ;)

Archived