Microsoft’s modern icons begins to show up in Windows 10

Karlston

Microsoft’s modern icons begins to show up in Windows 10

In an effort to completely revamp its product icons, back in December, Microsoft announced it’d start redesigning over 100 Windows product icons. The company has since then been working towards revamping the Windows icons. And now, it appears that the company quite close to releasing them to the general public.

According to a Reddit user u/MSFTBear, Microsoft has started to push the redesigned product icons on Windows 10 taskbar. These redesigned icons are based on Microsoft’s Fluent Design System and at present, they now appear only on the taskbar.

Modern-Windows-logo.png

Unfortunately, these icons are available only for Windows Insiders that are running the latest Insider Build. What is even worse is that Microsoft didn’t push all the modern icons at one go. For instance, the Windows Start logo remains unchanged. But in all likelihood, all the modern icons will be available for Windows Insiders within a week or two.

Microsoft is likely to receive feedback about these new modern icons from Insiders and might also make a few minor changes here and there based on the feedback. And lastly, the company will push these icons to general users.

However, it’s not clear whether Microsoft’s modern icons will be available for users running Windows 10 19H2 Update or older. For now, we’ll have to wait for Microsoft to make an official announcement regarding the shipping of these modern icons to know whether they will be available to all Windows 10 users.

What do our readers think about these modern Windows icons? Pick your favorite(s) and let us know in the comments below.

via ALumia

Source: Microsoft’s modern icons begins to show up in Windows 10  (MSPoweruser)

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stylemessiah2

Are you people forgetting this is exactly why Microsoft lost the plot years ago, concentrating on trivial stuff like the icons and the GUI over functionality/stability

Id rather have stability and function over "prettying" up the GUI. I will also never get why people play around with icon packs and themes....i have stuff to do and a life

11 hours ago, Karlston said:

Unfortunately, these icons are available only for Windows Insiders that are running the latest Insider Build. What is even worse is that Microsoft didn’t push all the modern icons at one go. For instance, the Windows Start logo remains unchanged. But in all likelihood, all the modern icons will be available for Windows Insiders within a week or two.

Microsoft is likely to receive feedback about these new modern icons from Insiders and might also make a few minor changes here and there based on the feedback. And lastly, the company will push these icons to general users.

I'm very sure that these icons will debut on next major update on Windows 10, probably either 20H1 or 20H2. So users might need to install the new major update to receive these icons.

19 minutes ago, Sylence said:

I'm on insider fast ring build 19546 but I don't have them

According to the comments on the OP at Reddit, it seems that icons are courtesy of StartIsBack.

cc. @Karlston

1 minute ago, Edward Raja said:

According to the comments on the OP at Reddit, it seems that icons are courtesy of StartIsBack.

cc. @Karlston

Yeah and one of the guys on reddit shared all of them on Onedrive:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AIcJf4st_rqJkiA&id=A65561FF8A738844!24287&cid=A65561FF8A738844

I tried using

https://github.com/Jonno12345/TileIconifier/releases

to change the app icons but it didn't quite work as i expected.

so Microsoft made the icons and startisback is the tool to replace the icons of UWP with.

3 minutes ago, Sylence said:

Yeah and one of the guys on reddit shared all of them on Onedrive:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AIcJf4st_rqJkiA&id=A65561FF8A738844!24287&cid=A65561FF8A738844

I tried using

https://github.com/Jonno12345/TileIconifier/releases

to change the app icons but it didn't quite work as i expected.

so Microsoft made the icons and startisback is the tool to replace the icons of UWP with.

which also means, the new icons aren't that official yet and it should debut on upcoming Windows 10 builds. So MSPowerUser is reporting the wrong news here.

also, kinda odd that not all icons are "modernized" yet. one example is Paint application (which Microsoft decided to retain it despite plans to migrate to Paint3D).

3 minutes ago, Edward Raja said:

which also means, the new icons aren't that official yet and it should debut on upcoming Windows 10 builds. So MSPowerUser is reporting the wrong news here.

Yeah they usually just want something that attracts attention.

anyway I have startisback now but it has only one .exe and clicking on it just replaces my start menu with old Win7 style. i can't find a way to swap the icons. any ideas?

Yea, go to Control Panel.  Click  on Start Menu.  StartisBack configuration will open.  Click on Switching.  On the bottom you will see Tweak modern icons...  Click on that and select Display colorful modern icons.  Click OK, then click OK.  Done.

screenshot-12.png

The comments on the original article have mentioned the connection with StartIsBack.

Haven't read all and still on first cup of caffeine, seems that StartIsBack may just be enabling the display of icons that already exist in the OS?

Archived