P2P on Nord VPN

xkryptonx

Oh dear!!! IKEv2 turned out to be such a nightmare. The download speed won't go past 1MB/s let alone the upload speed. Meanwhile, I sign up for a free trial of Cyberghost. It turned out to a very horrible VPN service. It won't allow the download speed past 700 KB/s even on dedicated VPN serves. I will keep googling the possible cause of slow upload speeds on Nord VPN as i need its unique feature of Tor Over VPN. It looks i am not left with much of options. Some people suggested PIA VPN. Does Anybody here knows / use PIA VPN here and kindly lets us know if it is good for torrenting especially its seed speeds?

• Replies 49
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning, dear friends. I subscribed for CyberGhost for 1 month. I am testing the CG with different torrents. Download speed is around 2.8 MB/s which is acceptable. But the upload speed won't go above 320 KB/s. I am wondering is it just me facing this issue. I have no issues with downloading on both CyberGhost and Nord VPN. What bother me is the slow upload speeds. I am wondering if somebody kindly share their settings / experience with us. 

Edit: The Speed reached up to 900 KB/s and plummeted back to 600 KB/s. If i only could get 1.2 Mb/s that would be great. Guys and gals, any sort of help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you guys have made adjustment in your client according to CyberGhost VPN service, Kindly let us know.

Edit: Here is statistic of my internet traffic on CyberGhost VPN.

2.png

Edit (#3): Oh Dear!!! I just changed my settings to OpenVPN and chose a Server from Netherlands. The upload soar to 1.2 MB/s which amazing (and unbelievable, well, at least for me😁) Looks like i will have to stick to CyberGhost VPN for the good. I would still love to get help regarding Nord VPN as it provides a unique feature of Tor over VPN that enables user to access TOR network via any browser.

22 hours ago, xkryptonx said:

@SlashRose  Lieber, habe ich versucht , einen Deal zu machen , aber leider sind sie nicht unterstützen , ihre Dienste aus meinem Land zu kaufen.

You can buy nvpn in every country, you only have to choose the location of your VPN server when purchasing, which you can also change after the purchase!

2 hours ago, SlashRose said:

You can buy nvpn in every country, you only have to choose the location of your VPN server when purchasing, which you can also change after the purchase!

@SlashRose Dear it is not possible with the payment options available in my country and service providers i can use. It certainly provides some attractive features such DPI guard, Sock5 proxies, Port forwarding and Wireguard technology with a reasonable price of 40 Euro/ year. I will keep checking their site though. l hope they add Debit Card option. Only then will i be able to buy their service. You have no idea, to buy CyberGhost VPN, i had to make a call to my service provider and ask them to allow me make this transaction, let alone make a deal VIA Paypal or Bitcoin / Bit cash (whatever it is called) I checked all the available options. I am really glad that you tried to help me out and suggested this useful VPN service which supports the port-forwarding. Thanks a bunch. @SlashRose. I really appreciate the time you have given to answer my query.😘

On 1/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, xkryptonx said:

Some people suggested PIA VPN. Does Anybody here knows / use PIA VPN here and kindly lets us know if it is good for torrenting especially its seed speeds?

I have been using PIA for going on 3 years now and I have no complaints. The speeds are great, I have done speed tests with and without VPN and the results are pretty close in my experience. I would post a screen shot of the two but I am in the middle of moving so I am using mobile lol. But I like the service enough to pay for 2 years at a time. And if you do have issues they are really helpful. Hope this helps!

12 hours ago, texmcc said:

I have been using PIA for going on 3 years now and I have no complaints. The speeds are great, I have done speed tests with and without VPN and the results are pretty close in my experience. I would post a screen shot of the two but I am in the middle of moving so I am using mobile lol. But I like the service enough to pay for 2 years at a time. And if you do have issues they are really helpful. Hope this helps!

That would be great if you provide screenshot. Your actual speed and speed over VPN. I guess  I will wait for it, and see if its worth a shot . 

• 4 weeks later...

I kept on testing NordVPN with P2P traffic. Configured Socks 5 proxy on my P2P client (uTorrent) and found that upload speeds have increased to 1.2-1.3MB/s on 25 mb/s (12.5mb/s UP) VDSL connection, which is surprising. However, there is a problem that still persists. I am unable to connect to most leechs. Hardly i connect to less than 10 peers (leech(es) ). I am wondering what is the issue that is preventing me from connecting to fair number of peers to ensure an easy seeding process. Also, not on all P2P files do i get such a high speed. Something to do with trackers? Any help regarding connecting to peers on NordVPN will greatly be appreciated, so that i would be able to seed the P2P files. 

1.png

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, xkryptonx said:

I kept on testing NordVPN with P2P traffic. Configured Socks 5 proxy on my P2P client (uTorrent) and found that upload speeds have increased to 1.2-1.3MB/s on 25 mb/s (12.5mb/s UP) VDSL connection, which is surprising. However, there is a problem that still persists. I am unable to connect to most leechs. Hardly i connect to less than 10 peers (leech(es) ). I am wondering what is the issue that is preventing me from connecting to fair number of peers to ensure an easy seeding process. Also, not on all P2P files do i get such a high speed. Something to do with trackers? Any help regarding connecting to peers on NordVPN will greatly be appreciated, so that i would be able to seed the P2P files. 

1.png

Most probably way too high pings which also blocks most peers. :coolwink:

9064999585.png

Less than 200 ms. Still no luck. Get higher pings on Hotspot Shield VPN and connects to more peers than NordVPN. 

Israeli_Eagle
1 minute ago, xkryptonx said:

9064999585.png

Less than 200 ms. Still no luck. Get higher pings on Hotspot Shield VPN and connects to more peers than NordVPN. 

No, that is only the time out of the VPN server as base and then you can add the peers and everything else!!

Because of that via VPN to start should be only max around 50ms...

• 2 weeks later...

I am using this VPN myself and I am highly impressed.  Freakin fast servers.  I have no reduction in download or upload speed.  No dns leaks.  One of the best VPN's I have used in years.  I will stick with this VPN for sure.  Its worth the money.

17 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I am using this VPN myself and I am highly impressed.  Freakin fast servers.  I have no reduction in download or upload speed.  No dns leaks.  One of the best VPN's I have used in years.  I will stick with this VPN for sure.  Its worth the money.

Gotta agree with that been using it for many years cheap fast and reliable...

On 3/5/2020 at 6:22 AM, Cerberus said:

On 3/5/2020 at 4:08 PM, Reefa said:

Gotta agree with that been using it for many years cheap fast and reliable...

Probably the best one out there. Especially with  its killer "TOR over VPN" feature. Allow user to use any web browser to access TOR  based websites. So far, i have no problem with the download speeds over P2P. But the only thing that is the persisting issue is the upload speed over P2P Uploads. 

From what I have read on their site they say they have a max of 160 meg download speed with 12 meg upload speed.  I have 100 meg download and 9 meg upload through ISP.  When I use NordVPN no difference when I run speed tests.  Its the same using VPN or just my ISP.  I am happy with it.

Israeli_Eagle
15 hours ago, Cerberus said:

From what I have read on their site they say they have a max of 160 meg download speed with 12 meg upload speed.  I have 100 meg download and 9 meg upload through ISP.  When I use NordVPN no difference when I run speed tests.  Its the same using VPN or just my ISP.  I am happy with it.

1. Probably your 'meg' means mbps and...

2. Mega Bits Per Second / 8 = MB/sec because a byte still has 8 bits. :coolwink:

3. And only 12 mbps up is nowadays a bit low.

16 hours ago, Cerberus said:

True. But i am having serious issues with upload speed. The upload speed on qBittrorrent is 1-2 KB/s , and on uTorrent is around 200-300 KB/s. On my connection (12.5 Mb/s i) i should be getting at least 1.2 MB/s upload speed. W/O VPN i am able to get 1.4 MB/s on my connection. I have tested CyberGhost and i was able to 1.2 MB/s on OpenVPN. The direct upload and download works flawlessly with NordVPN. It could be true in your case that you are getting the speeds according to your connection, and expectations. I have been looking for a possible solution. Moderators on P2P sites have told me that they no issues with seeding. I have come across a thread on Reddit. It turns out i am not the only one having issue with seeding only. There are other NordVPN users who are facing the same issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nordvpn/comments/9ds2rk/nordvpn_limits_p2p_uploadsseeding_max_100kbs/

have mentioned before that i was getting slow download and upload speeds on P2P files. Someone on Reddit suggested some adjustment in torrent client. I made those adjustment and the issue with download speeds on P2P was resolved. The only issue that still is bugging me is slow uploading/ seeding. I am looking for a solution to that. I hope someone will come with a solution. That is why i created this thread. Hope you have a nice day / night.

Israeli_Eagle

NordVPN limits nothing at all, but they also cannot give miracles on a based bad line!! :coolwink:

Also backbone, pings reaction time, VPN protocols and the OS & software settings etc are factors.

And no... Even NordVPN cannot sell brain.

I myself have a 100/40 mbps line and get via NordVPN still approx 85/30 (European VPN servers) and ping 18ms.

And the same via torrents, so nothing to complain at all. :rasta:

14 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

NordVPN limits nothing at all, but they also cannot give miracles on a bad line!! :coolwink:

Also pings reaction time, VPN protocols and the OS & software settings etc are factors.

And no... Even NordVPN cannot sell brain.

I myself have a 100/40 mbps line and get via NordVPN still approx 85/30 (European VPN servers) and ping 18ms.

And the same via torrents, so nothing to complain at all. :rasta:

True in your case too. I am considering everything. Line factors: SNR margin, attenuation, Pings and everything. Huge distance from servers and other software and hardware factors. Lets hope for the best which is someone will eventually come up with solution to this issue. Because i desperately need it. I part of the P2P niche and i love "TOR over VPN" while i surf those murky water where all sort of danger lurks. I do What i had to protect myself from the those threat. And i also have to maintain the ratio. Otherwise i will get my butt kicked out straight away. Cannot seed w/o VPN. Too many risk involved while seeding w/o torrent. I mean dealing with infected files. All the best.:drunk:

Israeli_Eagle
47 minutes ago, xkryptonx said:

True in your case too. I am considering everything. Line factors: SNR margin, attenuation, Pings and everything. Huge distance from servers and other software and hardware factors. Lets hope for the best which is someone will eventually come up with solution to this issue. Because i desperately need it. I part of the P2P niche and i love "TOR over VPN" while i surf those murky water where all sort of danger lurks. I do What i had to protect myself from the those threat. And i also have to maintain the ratio. Otherwise i will get my butt kicked out straight away. Cannot seed w/o VPN. Too many risk involved while seeding w/o torrent. I mean dealing with infected files. All the best.:drunk:

This might also help you:

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

And this are my settings:

Clipboard01.jpg.8f2b26df0d9cba2ec120f0c84fa359b3.jpg

For example NOT set the max or even higher of your physical connection speed! And better disable scaling heuristics. But all others only you can really know, because of your own hardware, drivers etc.

3.png

I get this speed when i activate socks5 over VPN. Otherwise the upload speed won't budge. All i need is a way to connect more Peers (Leechs). Hope someone will know a way to connect more peers for smooth and steady upload speeds.

@Israeli_Eagle Thanks for suggesting this handy little tool. I have tested it with reboot after each setting, but it seems to have no impact on my connection. 

W/O Socks5:

nosock5.png

The attainable speed over VPN is not issue here as it seems. But the problem is ability to connect to more Peers to ensure smooth seeding process. Hope someone will pop up with a handy solution for this case scenario.

Edit 1:

@Israeli_Eagle My settings are set to 8 per slot and results are different. and about socks5 proxy. My case is very unique and unusual. My client won't seed w/o socks5 proxy.

Israeli_Eagle
2 hours ago, xkryptonx said:

The attainable speed over VPN is not issue here as it seems. But the problem is ability to connect to more Peers to ensure smooth seeding process. Hope someone will pop up with a handy solution for this case scenario.

You can only get the maximums of a torrent which are in the settings! For example: Maximum number of upload slots per torrent (these are Peers!) and per default usually 5. And nobody ever needs Socks5 as proxy for torrents.

Why don't you understand that it's up to Nord VPN, again, you need a VPN with port forwarding and nvpn.net is the best and fastest, period !!!

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, SlashRose said:

Why don't you understand that it's up to Nord VPN, again, you need a VPN with port forwarding and nvpn.net is the best and fastest, period !!!

Only 56 servers are for sure a joke, period. :rasta:

17 hours ago, SlashRose said:

@SlashRose Dear you are not in Pakistan. We have very limited option to do online shopping. We are pretty much at the mercy of our Government at that. I have to consider that. I mentioned that before that i can only shop via a specific Debit Card, and nVPN doesn't provide that option. UNDERSTAND THAT. I would have loved to check that product too as i have tested CyberGhost for one month. And besides no other VPN provide "TOR OVER VPN" feature like NordVPN does. Simply using  TOR over any other VPN makes it aawyfully slow. I have to deal with things in real time on some other websites that require me having low pings values. I need to consider that option too. See, I don not have much of option left but to choose NordVPN and look for a possible solution for seeding. Hope you have a good day / Night.:cheers:

7 hours ago, xkryptonx said:

@SlashRose Dear you are not in Pakistan. We have very limited option to do online shopping. We are pretty much at the mercy of our Government at that. I have to consider that. I mentioned that before that i can only shop via a specific Debit Card, and nVPN doesn't provide that option. UNDERSTAND THAT. I would have loved to check that product too as i have tested CyberGhost for one month. And besides no other VPN provide "TOR OVER VPN" feature like NordVPN does. Simply using  TOR over any other VPN makes it aawyfully slow. I have to deal with things in real time on some other websites that require me having low pings values. I need to consider that option too. See, I don not have much of option left but to choose NordVPN and look for a possible solution for seeding. Hope you have a good day / Night.:cheers:

I have a very good friend from your country.  I had some issues when using uTorrent at first since its been yrs since I used a torrent client.  I added ipfilter.dat and that greatly increased my speeds not only download but upload as well.  Torrents are full of fake leachers and seeders.  Might want to give it a try and see your results.

Archived