P2P on Nord VPN

xkryptonx

I recently installed Nord VPN. It has an attractive offer of three years for amazing low price as compared to other VPN.  @imaddam provided me a key, and very grateful to him. I searched the internet for performance review of Nord VPN. It has received positive reviews from almost all over the internet (Speed and Privacy especially). However i encounter a problem with this VPN. When i use P2P on it, the download speeds is around 1MB/s. Without VPN i get a  download speed of 2.9 MB/s. Direct download works just fine. I have tired different P2P download but result is the same. It won't go above 1MB/s. Any idea how to speed up P2P download speed with this VPN. TIA.

Edit: I also need help with seeding. Any sort of help will be appreciated.

• Replies 49
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the best speed available using Nord VPN. The encryption and decryption process uses alot of resources or "overhead" as it's called. Overhead slows down the connection and is why VPN provider have been experimenting with a faster and safer method.  Wireguard is a VPN encryption protocol with the smallest overhead. Currently I use Mullvad VPN as it is the fastest Wireguard VPN provider with no logs. I use the official Wireguard app on Windows and TunSafe on Android. I torrent constantly and have tried Nord, PIA, Viking, Express, IPVanish, CyberGhost, and many more I can't remember. All had the same issue with speed. NO VPN IS AS FAST AS YOUR CONNECTION WITHOUT ONE! FACT! They all try to use catch terms and money back offers with the lowest price possible if you only buy years. There are 3 Wireguard VPN providers Mullvad, Blokada, and WireVPN. There are a few free ones that are junk. Mullvad is the best currently and has a monthly only.

Seeding is done on slow connections with another subscription to a seedbox. Seedbox is like GoogleDrive or OneDrive, only for torrents. You get x amount of storage and x amount of speed depending on how much your willing to spend. Seedbox providers are often unreliable and have more crashes and downtime than any paid service should have. 

3 hours ago, Smoore said:

That is the best speed available using Nord VPN. The encryption and decryption process uses alot of resources or "overhead" as it's called. Overhead slows down the connection and is why VPN provider have been experimenting with a faster and safer method.  Wireguard is a VPN encryption protocol with the smallest overhead. Currently I use Mullvad VPN as it is the fastest Wireguard VPN provider with no logs. I use the official Wireguard app on Windows and TunSafe on Android. I torrent constantly and have tried Nord, PIA, Viking, Express, IPVanish, CyberGhost, and many more I can't remember. All had the same issue with speed. NO VPN IS AS FAST AS YOUR CONNECTION WITHOUT ONE! FACT! They all try to use catch terms and money back offers with the lowest price possible if you only buy years. There are 3 Wireguard VPN providers Mullvad, Blokada, and WireVPN. There are a few free ones that are junk. Mullvad is the best currently and has a monthly only.

Seeding is done on slow connections with another subscription to a seedbox. Seedbox is like GoogleDrive or OneDrive, only for torrents. You get x amount of storage and x amount of speed depending on how much your willing to spend. Seedbox providers are often unreliable and have more crashes and downtime than any paid service should have. 

I found a thread on Reddit. Disabling the options "Apply rate to uTP connections"  and  "Enable  bandwidth Management" was suggested. The speed has reached 2.8 MB/s which I am happy with. I have a question: Does disabling these options impacts the security in anyway? And about seeding i am a regular downloader not some torrent uploader. I only wish to give back what i had taken. But with Nord VPN the uploading process is also affected.

1 hour ago, SlashRose said:

Is not for P2P because it has no port forwarding, here is the right provider for P2P  https://nvpn.net/index.php

The are dedicated servers for P2P in Nord VPN. It means they intended to support P2P traffic. The VPN you suggested, if i may ask you show me a screenshot of the your torrent client while downloading/ Seeding on the VPN you suggested.

my friend has nordvpn he has up to 200 mbit

so it depends on connection and server. he is

constantly downloading torrents.

i myself use purevpn just because i got a deal

1usd/month. i use it for streaming mostly for

bbc etc (uk) and protection when connecting to

as someone here mentioned i use sort of a

seedbox for torrents.

i have used nordvpn, cyberghost and mullvad

before but since i'm now limited to a 4g setup

i can't really push the limits. i get up to 46 mbits

but in general 20-34 mbit. 

12 hours ago, halvgris said:

my friend has nordvpn he has up to 200 mbit

so it depends on connection and server. he is

constantly downloading torrents.

i myself use purevpn just because i got a deal

1usd/month. i use it for streaming mostly for

bbc etc (uk) and protection when connecting to

as someone here mentioned i use sort of a

seedbox for torrents.

i have used nordvpn, cyberghost and mullvad

before but since i'm now limited to a 4g setup

i can't really push the limits. i get up to 46 mbits

but in general 20-34 mbit. 

I tired to access the Pure VPN but they have blocked IPs of my country which clearly indicates they don't want to have customers from my country. Besides, Nord VPN has dedicated servers for their P2P traffic. If someone using Nord VPN along with utorrent / Bittorrrent  could provide their client settings with working download and seeding, will greatly be appreciated.   

Edit: I am getting an upload speed of about 200 KB/s, and without VPN, it is 1.2 MB/s. Look like i'm unable to connect to peers (i'm using utorrent, FYI) that is why the upload speed is so slow. If i can get working configuration (Working upload speed and ability to connect with peers who haven't finished downloads) of uTorrent / Bittorrent, i hope it will help me resolve my problem.

Israeli_Eagle
  • Check which server & country you use!
  • Do not use servers which have high pings!
  • UDP is faster as TCP.
  • Fast & good DNS servers might help as well.
  • And... A too weak CPU might have problems with encryption.

1 hour ago, Israeli_Eagle said:
  • Check which server & country you use!
  • Do not use servers which have high pings!
  • UDP is faster as TCP.
  • Fast & good DNS servers might help as well.
  • And... A too weak CPU might have problems with encryption.

I have tried random servers with random counties - From U.S. to Asia. 

The connection is set to UDP but the problem persists.

Not a problem with CPU as it can achieve a speed of 3.20 Ghz (2 cores, 4 threads). 

Edit: I am able to achieve 850 KB/s with hotspot shield as it provides AES- 256 Encryption (But the problem is that i am unable to connect to most peers (Leechs) that is why the uploading process is slow. I am Looking for a way that could me connect  properly to the leech(s).

Since the downloading speed was resolved by making adjustment in torrent client i hope the upload could be resolved that way. Thanks for your Suggestion though. ( I just happened to ran out of reactions for today). If you are on Nord VPN, can you share your client setting with us?

Israeli_Eagle

Usually the VPN servers should be max 1000-2000 km far (but of course still out of your own country), otherwise you get already high pings. And the speeds with and without VPN you can only compare on the same target web servers!

14 minutes ago, xkryptonx said:

Not a problem with CPU as it can achieve a speed of 3.20 Ghz (2 cores, 4 threads).

That is already a bit low and hope it has at least the AES instruction set.

Usually the VPN servers should be max 1000-2000 km far (but of course still out of your own country), otherwise you get already high pings. And the speeds with and without VPN you can only compare on the same target web servers!

That is already a bit low and hope it has at least the AES instruction set.

Yes, It does support AES Instruction set.

Israeli_Eagle
2 minutes ago, xkryptonx said:

Yes, It does support AES Instruction set.

And which VPN format you use? Actually their apps are not needed at all...

And which VPN format you use? Actually their apps are not needed at all...

I am new to the usage of VPN technology and do not know much about them. How to find which format i am using? And which is more appropriate for my connection?

20 hours ago, xkryptonx said:

Ich fand einen Thread auf Reddit. Deaktivieren Sie die Optionen „Apply Rate uTP Verbindungen“ und „Enable Bandbreite Management“ vorgeschlagen wurde. Die Geschwindigkeit hat 2,8 MB erreicht / s, die ich mit glücklich bin. Ich habe eine Frage: Gibt es diese Optionen wirkt sich auf die Sicherheit in irgendeiner Weise zu deaktivieren? Und über Impfen ich bin ein regelmäßiger Downloader nicht einige Torrent-Uploader. Ich will nur zurück zu geben, was ich genommen hatte. Aber mit Nord VPN der Upload-Prozess ist ebenfalls betroffen.

Das sind dedizierte Server für P2P in Nord VPN. Es heißt, sie sollte P2P-Verkehr unterstützen. Die VPN Sie vorgeschlagen, wenn ich fragen darf Sie mir zeigen einen Screenshot von dem Client Ihrer torrent beim Herunterladen / Seeding auf dem VPN Sie vorgeschlagen.

What is there is not a fact, it is a fact to be able to properly operate P2P, that port forwarding is supported and that only a few VPN providers are supported and that is what you need and nvpn is also the fastest vpn provider. I have a 200MB line, via nvpn I get 190MB !!!

1 hour ago, SlashRose said:

What is there is not a fact, it is a fact to be able to properly operate P2P, that port forwarding is supported and that only a few VPN providers are supported and that is what you need and nvpn is also the fastest vpn provider. I have a 200MB line, via nvpn I get 190MB !!!

@SlashRose Dear my download speed has increased by making adjustment in the torrent client. That is also a fact. What i am looking for is a way to increase my upload speed. Direct upload or download works just fine. So i am looking for answer and possible reason what is halting my upload speed. If there was issue with port forwarding, i wouldn't be able to download with full speed on my connection. I really appreciate that you took your time to answer my query. That is really appreciated indeed. I wonder what Israeli_Eagle has to say about format of VPN and how it is going to help me with increasing my upload speeds. I really appreciated you guys and/or gals taking your time trying to help me with this issue. Unfortunately i ran out of reactions for today, so, i cannot react to your post and show my token of appreciation.

4 minutes ago, xkryptonx said:

@SlashRose Lieber meine Download - Geschwindigkeit hat , indem Einstellung im Torrent - Client erhöht. Das ist auch eine Tatsache. Was ich suche ist eine Möglichkeit , meine Upload - Geschwindigkeit zu erhöhen. Direkter Upload oder Download funktioniert gut. Also ich bin auf der Suche nach Antworten und möglichen Grunde , was meine Upload - Geschwindigkeit ist Einhalt zu gebieten. Wenn es Problem mit Port - Forwarding ist, würde ich nicht in der Lage sein , mit voller Geschwindigkeit auf meiner Verbindung zum Download bereit . Ich schätze , dass Sie Ihre Zeit , um meine Anfrage zu beantworten haben. Das ist wirklich in der Tat sehr geschätzt. Ich frage mich , was  Israeli_Eagle hat über Format von VPN zu sagen und wie es geht mir mein Upload helfen Geschwindigkeiten zu erhöhen. Ich schätzte man wirklich Jungs und / oder gals Ihre Zeit versucht, mir zu helfen, sich mit diesem Thema. Leider lief ich für heute von Reaktionen aus, so kann ich reagieren nicht auf Ihre Post und zeigen meine Zeichen der Wertschätzung.

The portforwording increases your upload speed, because without portforwording the upload ports are not really open, you can also check with the providers.

Israeli_Eagle
41 minutes ago, xkryptonx said:

I am new to the usage of VPN technology and do not know much about them. How to find which format i am using? And which is more appropriate for my connection?

If your OS is Windows 10... Try instead the format IKEv2 directly. :coolwink:

Almost all VPN providers support it, tho often not official. And then you only need a server URL/IP and your account (name & password etc), works perfectly without any app. Because some also use it based of Linux.

9 minutes ago, SlashRose said:

The portforwording increases your upload speed, because without portforwording the upload ports are not really open, you can also check with the providers.

If there is a port problem of the base country & government... OpenVPN and 443 can almost never blocked.

If your OS is Windows 10... Try instead the format IKEv2 directly. :coolwink:

Almost all VPN providers support it, tho often not official. And then you only need a server URL/IP and your account (name & password etc), works perfectly without any app. Because some also use it based of Linux.

If there is a port problem of the base country & government... OpenVPN and 443 can almost never blocked.

Yes, i am running the latest windows 10. So i have to setup a VPN manually? Looks like i have to some googling to setup IKEv2 VPN. And about CPU issue i will test it on my Snapdragon S9+ and if it changes anything. 

Israeli_Eagle
2 minutes ago, xkryptonx said:

Yes, i am running the latest windows 10. So i have to setup a VPN manually? Looks like i have to some googling to setup IKEv2 VPN. And about CPU issue i will test it on my Snapdragon S9+ and if it changes anything. 

• Yes, this way you can make it manually of your OS.
  • Phones are per default much slower and WiFi to PC is also not really recommended.

I found this for NordVPN and IKEv2:
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/windows-10/ikev2/

• Yes, this way you can make it manually of your OS.
  • Phones are per default much slower and WiFi to PC is also not really recommended.

I found this for NordVPN and IKEv2:
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/windows-10/ikev2/

I just tested a 700 MB torrent on my phone using uTorrent app. The upload speed reached up to  800+ KB/s. Will test the above method, and let you guys know if it works. (Appreciation)🥰

Israeli_Eagle
21 minutes ago, xkryptonx said:

I just tested a 700 MB torrent on my phone using uTorrent app. The upload speed reached up to  800+ KB/s. Will test the above method, and let you guys know if it works. (Appreciation)🥰

Just remember... In this forum you can use this: :coolwink:
Thank someone by clicking the Like button!  5ysdRD96_o.gif

3 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Just remember... In this forum you can use this: :coolwink:
Thank someone by clicking the Like button!  5ysdRD96_o.gif

I wish i could but i ran out of reaction for today. I have set up a IKEv2 as you suggested but it is not connecting to server.😕

Edit: Could somebody help me with setting up a IKEv2. I tried to set it up by following the guide supplied by @Israeli_Eagle but unable to connect to it. It is kinda last resort for me before i buy this VPN. So, guys/gals who are using IKEv2 protocol share their experience / instructions with us here.

Israeli_Eagle
4 hours ago, xkryptonx said:

I wish i could but i ran out of reaction for today. I have set up a IKEv2 as you suggested but it is not connecting to server.😕

Edit: Could somebody help me with setting up a IKEv2. I tried to set it up by following the guide supplied by @Israeli_Eagle but unable to connect to it. It is kinda last resort for me before i buy this VPN. So, guys/gals who are using IKEv2 protocol share their experience / instructions with us here.

Hmmm... Weird I would say! :think:

Maybe try instead for example CyberGhostVPN and works for sure with IKEv2 of any their servers.

2 hours ago, SlashRose said:

Just try nvpn for 1 month and you will see that it is the best VPN for P2P and not only for P2p!

@SlashRose Dear, I tried to make a deal but unfortunately they don't support buying their services from my country.

2 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Hmmm... Weird I would say! :think:

Maybe try instead for example CyberGhostVPN and works for sure with IKEv2 of any their servers.

I will keep trying for sometime with hope that i might be connect at sometime then i will try the Cyberghost VPN.  Actually, i like / need the Tor over VPN feature of Nord VPN that is why i can go to any extant to get Nord VPN working on my PC. Otherwise i will switch and try Cyberghost as it offer an attractive plan of three years. I have requested for account of Nord VPN here. I will check that out and see if it connects with the other account that i may get anytime soon (The one i use might be shared with other users and probably that is why it is not working.) I will report then.

EDIT: Finally got connect. Time to check the speeds. Will report soon.

Israeli_Eagle

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

And please remember: The easiest way to block server URLs for providers & government is always the local DNS! So... Better use already (before VPN) a better & clean DNS, can be set already on router or your OS settings. The best DNS are usually 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 for IPv4.

Archived