Do we still use CCleaner?

Diego T.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

I was surfing the web when I stumbled into this comment:

I would not use CCleaner because it is no longer recommended by any experts after Avast (bloatware) bought it and it's genius developer retired.

If you ran CCleaner's Registry Cleaner I would System Restore to a point before it was run. There is no longer any safe registry cleaner.

Ok, so Im open to suggestions.

Thank you!!!

• Replies 75
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These optimizers cause more harm sometimes.

Avast bought ccleaner. Avast collected user data from piriform products.

11 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Avast collected user data from piriform products.

Who doesn't collect data these days?  Even your neighbors would if they could.  Data is the king in this Century.

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

These optimizers cause more harm sometimes.

Avast bought ccleaner. Avast collected user data from piriform products.

Yes...but there are versions out there by clever guys who fix it so that "telemetery" is blocked.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Still use it, sticking with CC v5.40.6411, the power is in the Winapp2.ini, keep that updated and trimmed to your liking and your golden. I have a custom one that I've been maintaining personally over he years and it's invaluable to me, anyone who says it "breaks" systems is an idiot, you can "break" systems with your DEL key or notepad.

I still use ccleaner for some specific tasks that it excels at, for instance managing startup items. I use v5.32 because afaik it is the last version that Piriform developed before Avast acquired them.

20 minutes ago, Kalju said:

... don't believe the things you are told, just believe what You personally understand.

And how much understanding one (wo)man posses or could posses? 

Life without trust is impossible. And unlivable.

20 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Try to fly only when you are convinced that you can fly

Fly if you can fly.  No other person knows you better than you. 

From the multitude of tools for optimizing and maintaining the system I use successfully two of them : Ccleaner and Wise Care 365.
I'm still looking forward the next version of Cclener.It's been more than 3 months since the last version (v5.63.7540 _15 Oct 2019).We're used to more frequent updates.Hope the developers didn't become frustrated and lazy after Avast bought Piriform.And to be honest ...I deeply dislike this.But that doesn't mean giving up using it.

I don't use Kaspersky nor Avast.

ccleaner installer version collected data.

The portable version is fine as far as i know.

Most of the ppl on here are like me and collecting all the info in the world on them wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. Nobody is out to get u, no big brother after you. Too much paranoia in this world.

Using it for years ..........XP, Win7 , Win10 from the start , together with the JunkFileCleaner ( Windows Manager/Yamicsoft) .

My Win10 is installed in March 2016 , still runs and boots like a jetfighter.............:dance:

Still use it and highly recommend it, but with the following setup:

Disable Updates

kTTQZpC.png

Disable Anonymous Usage Data

kMRcWO4.png

Block All Incoming and Outgoing Requests with a Firewall for the following EXEs:

nW2ZEbj.png

Stpo85t.png

Personally, I've found CCleaner's registry cleaner very user friendly and have never experienced any negative effects from using it over the years. Unlike a few other registry cleaners.

1 hour ago, randomjester said:

Block All Incoming and Outgoing Requests with a Firewall for the following EXEs:

Isn't comodofw blocking by default all the traffic that is not explicitly authorized?

sometimes use ccleaner with winapp2.ini from github if need depth clean in installed program .

every day before close pc privazer for logs.

reg_organizer for reg clean,search reg,startup clean,etc.

1 hour ago, mp68terr said:

Isn't comodofw blocking by default all the traffic that is not explicitly authorized?

Partially, the default setting for ComodoFW is a mode which "automatically creates rules that allow all traffic for the components of applications certified as 'Safe' by Comodo while non-certified new applications will receive an alert whenever that application attempts to access the network". I don't know if Comodo has certified CCleaner as a 'Safe' application or not, but if it was, CCleaner would automatically be allowed to make a connection; But Comodo does have "Piriform Ltd" (the developer of CCleaner) listed under the app's Trusted Vendors. And Comodo also has other modes for "training" that allows all network connections, so it depends on what setting the user selected. I personally use the Custom Ruleset mode so I'm alerted to all connections and can decide whether to trust or block them for the future.

Archived