Jump to content
  • 0
Michael*

Roboform 7 Replacement ...

Question

Michael*

Any recommendations for a replacement for Roboform 7?

 

I do not intend to use any software which sends my passwords into the cloud.

Currently, I'm just importing/exporting passwords within Chrome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
mp68terr
23 minutes ago, Michael* said:

I do not intend to use any software which sends my passwords into the cloud.

Currently, I'm just importing/exporting passwords within Chrome.

You could/should try the keepass-like password applications then. Offline it is, no cloud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Ecarion
Posted (edited)

I had give a chance to the both (RoboForm-v7 and RoboForm-v8) and the result was clear... Take an alternative because several of them are better (GUI, good support, update, etc).

 

By the past, KeePass was a good choice. But as today, I rather Sticky because it work's with almost any browser (it's able to autofill any kind of form (even one forum which use this crap of Flarum)).

Otherwise I believe it could be a good choose to try 1Password (create by AgileBits) because I have ketp a good memory.

 

You don't have to be worry about the data. Because it's very easy : you can block any software with the firewall !

By the way, the function sync isn't available without one license. But if you need it, you just have to wait because there is sometimes (every 6 months, every year, etc) a giveway (for the both software).

 

Don't forget this fact : we won't recommend any browser because there aren't safe.

 

PS : What about Enpass ? I had discover this example a long time ago. From my point of view, it's to avoid because the support is just bad !

As we can see, they didn't reply (even 2 years later) and we could assume they had never take the time to rectify this trouble (neither really want to help).

 

Another one (Avira, Dashlane, Keeper, Bitwarden, Steganos, etc) ? Despite the time (one year) and according to my memory, I still believe they won't be a good choice.

Edited by Ecarion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Michael*
52 minutes ago, Ecarion said:

By the past, KeePass was a good choice. But as today, I rather Sticky because it work's with almost any browser (it's able to autofill any kind of form (even one forum which use this crap of Flarum)).

 

I saw that Sticky offers both a windows and mac version, so I'll keep my eyes open for a giveaway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Ecarion
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Michael* said:

[...] so I'll keep my eyes open for a giveaway.

Why ? You could use it right now.

Because that's right you don't require the license and you can disable the cloud directly after the installation (or wait one month after that the premium functions will be unvailable or desactive).

And like I said, if you care about the security just block Sticky with your firewall. After that, you can install any update manually.

2 hours ago, Michael* said:

I do not intend to use any software which sends my passwords into the cloud.

I think you probably didn't understand one point.

To resume, the giveway won't be useful (unless if you have change your opinion or if you need another function).

Edited by Ecarion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Tip-Top

Roboform 8 work offline.

 

1. Install ver 7

2. set master passwd

3. set password dir on any folder on disk

4. disable internet (important)

5. Install ver 8 widhout account (only close account window)

6. check in option if  sync is off

7. enable internet

 

All passwd is on local PC.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
ace_N_kelly

I use Sticky Password since many years so I recommand it 👌

I prefer the Premium caus' if my computer "explode" 🤣 , I will not lose all my password (with cloud backup encrypted).

As Ecarion said , the free version is very good too for your needs !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
keyman

I uninstalled the version 8 Chrome extension, installed a version 7 one, modified its manifest so it won't update - and I can use Roboform 7 forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
xalaros
7 hours ago, keyman said:

I uninstalled the version 8 Chrome extension, installed a version 7 one, modified its manifest so it won't update - and I can use Roboform 7 forever.

Can you describe more detailed the above steps...as how to install an extension v7 and how to modify the manifest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
cell0ne

Yes please describe in detail as Ver.7 stopped working in Chrome(Extension) and grayed out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
keyman
Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2020 at 11:56 AM, xalaros said:

Can you describe more detailed the above steps...as how to install an extension v7 and how to modify the manifest?

 

1 hour ago, cell0ne said:

Yes please describe in detail as Ver.7 stopped working in Chrome(Extension) and grayed out

 


Here you go: 

 

1) uninstall RoboForm 8 and the Chrome extension

2) download the RoboForm 7 installer: https://www.roboform.com/dist/RoboForm-Setup.exe and install it

3) open the Chrome extensions page: chrome://extensions and click to enable Developer mode in the upper right corner

4) go to the RoboForm extension and note its ID

5) go to c:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\ and find the folder with the same name as the extension ID

6) open it, find the file manifest.json and open it in a text editor (like Notepad)

7) in the file, find the update link (it looks something like "update_url": "https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx",

8 ) edit it to "https://localhost"

9) save the file

 

That's it! Now you can use the RoboForm 7 extension and it won't ever update.

Edited by keyman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
xalaros
Posted (edited)

keyman It didn't work for me (fresh install on Windows 10 Roboform v7.9.32.2) maybe because Roboform Google extension is v8.6.5.5                                                                        

Edited by xalaros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
keyman
17 minutes ago, xalaros said:

It didn't work for me (fresh install on Windows 10 Roboform v7.9.32.2) maybe because Roboform Google extension is v8.6.5.5                                                                        

 

Try one of the version 7 extensions you can find here: https://www.crx4chrome.com/history/6339/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
xalaros
49 minutes ago, keyman said:

 

Try one of the version 7 extensions you can find here: https://www.crx4chrome.com/history/6339/

Tried v7_9_23_3 from this page...harmful file...it didn't work although I pushed install it...I don't know if you can upload whole folder of your existing Google extension if will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
keyman
4 hours ago, xalaros said:

Tried v7_9_23_3 from this page...harmful file...it didn't work although I pushed install it...I don't know if you can upload whole folder of your existing Google extension if will work.

 

 

1) Unzip the 7.9.23.3 extension to a folder

2) Go to the extensions page, enable developer mode and click Load Unpacked

3) Select the folder where you unpacked the extension. 

You should now have the RoboForm 7 extension working OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
xalaros

keyman I already had tried that via CRX Extractor (https://crxextractor.com/) with no success (made .zip file then unzip to folder then Load Unpacked)...faulty installation of extension

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Michael*

I don't believe Chrome allows you to install extensions locally, any longer. Now requires you to go through the Chrome Store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Michael*
On 1/9/2020 at 2:34 PM, keyman said:

 

 

1) Unzip the 7.9.23.3 extension to a folder

2) Go to the extensions page, enable developer mode and click Load Unpacked

3) Select the folder where you unpacked the extension. 

You should now have the RoboForm 7 extension working OK.

 

I tried this, but it never worked properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Michael*

Last working extension is 8.6.2.2 which can be obtained from www.Crx4Chrome.com but as soon as I go online, it autoupdates and stops working. Haven't found a way yet to prevent the autoupdate. Modifying "update_url": "https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx" is a fail and doesn't work anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
xalaros

Switched over many-many years of using Roboform to Sticky Password now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
cell0ne
On 1/9/2020 at 6:58 PM, keyman said:

Sorry it is not working

 


Here you go: 

 

1) uninstall RoboForm 8 and the Chrome extension

2) download the RoboForm 7 installer: https://www.roboform.com/dist/RoboForm-Setup.exe and install it

 

 

That's it! Now you can use the RoboForm 7 extension and it won't ever update.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
keyman
On 1/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, xalaros said:

keyman I already had tried that via CRX Extractor (https://crxextractor.com/) with no success (made .zip file then unzip to folder then Load Unpacked)...faulty installation of extension

 

It's not a good idea to unpack and then repack the extension as .zip - or anything else, really. It breaks the Chrome Web Store security certificate, so it won't let you install it unless you submit your "new" extension through the Web Store :D This happens even if you repack the extension using Chrome's own utility ( the Pack Extension button). But it's sufficient to unpack the extension using 7-zip for example and install it unpacked.

 

 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:05 AM, Michael* said:

I don't believe Chrome allows you to install extensions locally, any longer. Now requires you to go through the Chrome Store.

 

That's odd. I installed it locally on the latest Chrome version (79.0.3945.117) and it works well.

 

 

On 1/12/2020 at 7:01 AM, Michael* said:

Last working extension is 8.6.2.2 which can be obtained from www.Crx4Chrome.com but as soon as I go online, it autoupdates and stops working. Haven't found a way yet to prevent the autoupdate. Modifying "update_url": "https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx" is a fail and doesn't work anymore.

 

Yeah, the version 8.x extensions have that behaviour, but the version 7.x extensions work as they should. I'm using 7.9.32.2 but versions as early as 7.9.20+ should work as well.

 

 

22 hours ago, cell0ne said:

 

 

Can you give some more details as to how it doesn't work? Have you tried installing the unpacked extension?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Michael*

I haven't tried modifying "update_url" using the original 7.9.32.2 CRX, I was using the 8.6.2.2 CRX (Updated December 1, 2019) from www.crx4chrome.com because I knew it was still supported. It installs fine offline, but as soon as you go online it auto-updates to the latest version and stops working. I was installing 8.6.2.2 CRX offline, without unpacking.

Edited by Michael*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Journey

My step-by-step idea didn't work after all. Every time I restarted my browser, it would tell be to turn off Developer Mode and then the Roboform icon would disappear in the toolbar. Back to square one again. BTW, I tried keman's method and it did not work at all.

 

Edited by Journey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Michael*
On 1/14/2020 at 8:17 PM, Journey said:

My step-by-step idea didn't work after all. Every time I restarted my browser, it would tell be to turn off Developer Mode and then the Roboform icon would disappear in the toolbar. Back to square one again. BTW, I tried keman's method and it did not work at all.

 

 

None of these methods has worked for me, either ...

Edited by Michael*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
bayer

OP time to move on ...

V8 is needed to work with recent versions of your browsers

Edited by bayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...