Can Windows 10 ISO be burnt on a DL DVD

bigjohn

G'day guys,

Can I burn Windows 10 ISO, 4.70 GB (5,051,031,552 bytes), on a DL DVD. There is not enough room in a SL DVD and last time I tried Rufus on a USB I made a mess.

Thank you in advance

Have a Happy and Safe New Year's Eve 

John

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Can I burn Windows 10 ISO, 4.70 GB (5,051,031,552 bytes), on a DL DVD. There is not enough room in a SL DVD and last time I tried Rufus on a USB I made a mess.

Depends on how big  your DVD is.

What program are you using to burn this DVD?

We stopped using this method, as long as the new technology allows us to use USB- we are going to 2020, my dear 😀

Why did you have a mess of this with Rufus, It does a good work, although I never use this too or haven't used it for a long time

try to tell us more on your problem, you may even write a PM to me, if you feel like

Yes, of course, you can. If your iso is bootable (indeed, it is), you can burn a DL DVD and launch setup after select your dvd on next boot (most of the time F8). Be sure to make a good (slow, x2,4 !) and tested burn before use to be sure it is readable. I use imgburn for example.

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

G'day guys

G'day to you too!

Before to go the DVD way, have you tried apps other than rufus?

Like easy2boot (used it to install/test w10 in a VM) or a live os launching winntsetup.

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

G'day guys,

Thank you in advance

Have a Happy and Safe New Year's Eve 

John

Yes, you can burn a Win 10 ISO on a DL DVD, you also can burn to a standard DVD, and Im not sure why you had a issue with Rufus and a USB. Rufus should format to Fat 32 and I also wonder why you ISO is so big.

when most iso are in the 4.02 to 4.3 range

iso.png

23 minutes ago, Snuffy1942 said:

I also wonder why you ISO is so big.

when most iso are in the 4.02 to 4.3 range

iso.png

I wonder, how it's so small, I downloaded last 1909 on 16. Nov with Media creation tool and it is 5.04GB. Only the install.wim is 4.07GB.

7 minutes ago, spudboy said:

Why Rufus? Just use Microsoft's own Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to set up a usb install.

Some have a great love for this gadget ..... and anyone can't resist great love.

3 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Can I burn Windows 10 ISO, 4.70 GB (5,051,031,552 bytes), on a DL DVD

Yes you can.

coromonadalix

The iso size can vary if you install file is ending in .esd or .wim  the compression can be changed ...

G'day again,

I am overwhelmed with the amount of answers and I thank you all so very much.

I use ImgBurn to burn butable media.

I cannot exactly remember what the problem was with Rufus, I think was the reformat to NTFS but thre was something else that ruined my ISO file and my OS install and had to reformat the HDD and do clean install.

I'm attaching some pics that will answer more questions. 

I have downloaded Windows 10 Media Creation Tool  and I'll give it a go.

Guys, I feel technology is leaving me behind, I have a background in toolmaking  and CNC  machining and programming, I keep reading code, but, it's getting more and more complex and I'm no longer a spring chicken, I turned 78 last October.

The good news is I always get good help at nasne forums for which I'm very grateful. 

I'will try your suggestions.

Thank You

Have all of you a very Happy New year.

John

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.JPG

Pic 3.JPG

13 hours ago, Kalju said:

I downloaded last 1909 on 16. Nov with Media creation tool and it is 5.04GB. Only the install.wim is 4.07GB.

Perhaps because your .iso image have install.wim instead of a install.esd in sources folder.

11 minutes ago, haris_sane69 said:

Perhaps because your .iso image have install.wim instead of a install.esd in sources folder.

Yes, of course, that is what I said also somewhere, but this is what you get if uses Media Creation Tool.
I haven't converted it to .esd, because have been no needs to do so.
I also remember, that the older MCT's made install.esd and then it was much smaller, but current makes install.wim.
That it was, what I wanted to say. Nothing else.
Of course, if convert to .esd it will be smaller.

Why complicate things, while converting wim to esd will miss fireworks in Sydney harbour! In addition, it installs much faster with wim than with esd!

Use windows media creation tool and you can do Both without any problems on DVD and on a USB stick.

coromonadalix

Just done an win 10 multi iso on a dvd dl  and  done an usb key with Rufus, no problems

For dvd burning i used cd burner xp  works very well, no problems

G'day and Happy New Year, guys,

Finally I got it done with Rufus. I think the problem I had with Rufus (long time ago) was: I didn't read the instructions and reformatted the USB in Windows, I cannot recall the details.

All went well and OS is working fine.

I need to do a Windows Update now. Can I download latest update manually to  my PC to be install on the laptop.

I cannot connect the the modem to the laptop as the laptop has a different socket for the wire, smaller. I cannot connect wireless either, don't know how to configure the modem. It asks for network key, bugger if I know what that is.

What KB download and which one to avoid? I'm trying to install my Cad software and is asking foe Netframework runtime 3.5 SP1, whick I downloaded but cannot install without internet connection.

I'm sorry I'm using the same post with a new request.

Kind Regards to all of you

John

23 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

I cannot connect wireless either, don't know how to configure the modem. It asks for network key, bugger if I know what that is.

The network key is likely the password for the wifi adapter. Both the SSID (wifi network name) and the password might be written on the adapter itself.

23 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Netframework runtime 3.5 SP1, whick I downloaded but cannot install without internet connection.

You have to search for an offline installer. The following link might help: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5007

Edit: no idea about updates and good/bad kb because not using win10.

And good to hear that you did not have to burn the iso; the usb way is faster.

Thank you for answerng  so quickly. 

ImgBurn could not burn the ISO file. So I did not try any more, I have a box of DLs of which I have used only two to burn large movies.

I have downloaded the file from the link you sent. Than you for that. If it works I won't be updating Windows. I never did. It's only troubles. I know many will disagree with my but it works for me. Eset is my friend.

It's past 3 am so I'm going to bed.

Take care

John

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps use Verbatim brand dual-layered DVD 2.4x speed discs but burn them with either CDBurnerXP or ImgBurn at the slowest speed possible so they work with most DVD drives

also need a compatible AND reliable DL DVD burner which are no longer bundled in newer modern computers (some DVD DL burners are good while some others are crap)

Edit: the higher speed DL DVD discs like this one may be problematic when used on other DVD burners that can't support high-speed DL DVD discs

I assume OP (bigjohn) is using an older computer that comes with a dual-layered DVD burner

How do you make a mess of an automated USB creation tool?

Use Rufus, choose MBR or GPT depending on what you have your BIOS set to, done

DVDs.... lol

1 hour ago, Detection said:

Use Rufus, choose MBR or GPT depending on what you have your BIOS set to, done

With easy2boot, no mbr gpt selection, just choose the iso you want to boot from. As much isos as you want depending on the usb-key size.

Archived