Disable Win10 Start Menu "Pop Up"?

spudboy

I'm referring to the additional pop-up "menu" when you hover over folders in the start menu. In the left image, the portion outlined in red would always look like that for me regardless if I hovered over any of the icons. Now however, hovering over any of those icons now pops-up an additional "menu" that displays the full name of those icons/locations & also covers up the app list - as is shown in the image on the right. Is there any way to prevent the new behavior? I want to see only the icons there, like it was before.

tBUrEw9.png

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Which Windows 10 version are you using?

your taskbar looks customized, maybe a 3rd party tool you used is causing that unwanted behavior?

10 hours ago, Sylence said:

Hi,

Which Windows 10 version are you using?

your taskbar looks customized, maybe a 3rd party tool you used is causing that unwanted behavior?

Nope. No 3rd party tool at all. All I did for that taskbar look was right click it, Toolbars > New Toolbar > select AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Quick Launch. Plus hide the Cortana button, search box hidden, do not group windows, etc. Everything done very easily with no 3rd party tools, reg hacks, or anything of the sort. Purely all basic right click menus. Regardless, it also does the same thing on other 1909 systems with zero customization done. It must be something they changed with the November/Fall update.

10 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

... or try instead a better & usable Start Menu. :santa:

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

You forgot the "imo" after "better & usable". ;) I'm quite familiar with the options I have & I used the Classic Shell start menu for Win 8/8.1 but I feel zero need to use it with 10. With the exception of what my op is about, there is nothing I dislike whatsoever about the default Win10 Start Menu. Nonetheless, I asked if there's a way to revert to the prior behavior. Not if there was a replacement I could use. Thanks, but your reply really doesn't help at all. :)

13 hours ago, spudboy said:

Is there any way to prevent the new behavior? I want to see only the icons there, like it was before.

This is the way it works.  I don't believe there is any way to get it back, but in my opinion it is fine the way it is.  I also  find the default Windows Start Menu very user friendly.  I use StartisBack++ to center, and customize my taskbar, but keep the default Windows 10 Start Menu.  In my opinion the Windows 7 Start Menu sucked. ;) 

Archived