What's your "setup" for a new PC? Please read before replying

HandyPAF

I don't want anyone to get misconstrued about what I mean when I say "setup"

That is why it's in quotations and also why I insisted on you reading this before replying.

If you've owned more than one computer and are at least decently tech-savvy, chances are that you have a sort of predetermined idea as to what you must do when you get a new computer. I'm not talking about the basic stuff like installing an OS, creating user(s), setting passwords, connecting to the internet, etc. I'm referring to the more meticulous stuff: disable this setting, enable that one, registry tweaks, Services management, and so on.

However, I am interested in your security setup in particular. Any tidbits related to security, privacy, and/or anonymity are most welcome. If you add lines to your hosts file, which ones and why? I don't add any manually but I use Unchecky and it adds to the hosts file. I believe Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster also use hosts file to implement their blocking rules.

I won't go into great detail right now because I am short on time, however I will update this post when I do get the chance and I will elaborate a bit more at that time. In no particular order:

- disable Windows update, I use WuMgr instead

- update drivers using SDIO, double-checking so-called updates before installing

- immunize computer with Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster (as stated above)

- install Total Uninstall and use it to monitor the installation of my other programs

- disable Windows Search in Services and then install Everything Search

to be continued... I look forward to your replies :) 

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this thread limited to the software side?

"If you've owned more than one computer and are at least decently tech-savvy, chances are that you" know how to built your own pc from scratch, i.e. to gather the parts and set it up all the way 😉

After Windows Installation. Following are the things i do usually.

1. Disable windows updates using Wub

2. Update host file using MVPS Host file.

3. Install ESET NOD32, GlassWire(Sometimes), Adguard and all other programs.

4. About drivers, System Tweaks and updates all are done/integrated directly into ISO itself using NTlite.  If drivers are not integrated then DriversPack is what i use(It leaves some crap that needed to be cleaned after).

5. Last thing is to create a backup using Macrium Reflect [Most Important].

That's All :showoff2:

I'm keeping Windows Updates but changing its settings to check more.

I don't use HOSTS files as it clutter the DNS services and takes more RAM.

Adguard.

Custom DNS like Adguard ones or Pi Hole if you want your own.

Shadow Defender if you want to test things.

Comodo Firewall only with mostly CruelSister's settings.

Windows Defender with tweaked settings through gpedit.msc and the Configure Defender app, but you can get BitDefender at a bargain price at HRKgame and such if you don't trust Microsoft with its AV.

Exploit Guard with all its settings activated.

DriversCloud for drivers.

TweakHound for tweaks.

Before win7 installation:

- update with simplix updatepack

- remove/disable all unneeded apps/fonts/services/drivers/etc.

- integrate drivers specific to my config

- replace files like hosts with mpvs one

- adjust background and few other small cosmetic things

After win7 installation:

- remove useless files/folders that were not removed before

- install eset AV and comodo FW, all other apps as portable (everything, xnviewmp, libreoffice, browsers, etc.)

- cleanup with a round of ccleaner/bleachbit/privazer

- install shadow defender to 'freeze' the whole thing

- backup the installation

After I installed my Win 7 (x64):-

1) Disabled Windows updates.

2) Removed a few KB files and tweaked Telemetry as per advice on Nsane.

3) Installed ESET Int Security, Malwarebytes Corporate, and Spyware Blaster.

4) Installed and tweaked my preferred programs (since then I have replaced many installed versions with portable versions)

5) Scanned with ESET and then cleaned with CCleaner. (and sometimes with Registry Trash Keys Finder)

6) Installed Macrium Reflect and made image backup (and regular images since then).

7) Then I gave myself a hug!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

22 hours ago, mp68terr said:

Is this thread limited to the software side?

"If you've owned more than one computer and are at least decently tech-savvy, chances are that you" know how to built your own pc from scratch, i.e. to gather the parts and set it up all the way 😉

I know how to build a computer but I am not keen to all of the hardware stuff. Also, building a computer is the same thing every time you do it: they all require the same basic parts and there are several websites and apps out there to help users build a computer and choose the right parts.

Archived