What software do you guys use to create bootable Windows 10 USB drive?

Myna

TheEmpathicEar

Personally, I have disabled Secure boot on both my desktop and laptop PCs. There might be a downside, but I have not seen one so far.

• Replies 55
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone explain why is not popular installation directly from hard disk? I think, should be more popular, because all newest install.esd/install.wim files are larger than 4GB and then is not possible to use FAT32 formated USD sticks, also not possible then to use DVDs.
So, why not make for installation package separate partition and then install directly from hard drive?

On 11/29/2019 at 5:29 PM, Kalju said:

Can anyone explain why is not popular installation directly from hard disk? I think, should be more popular, because all newest install.esd/install.wim files are larger than 4GB and then is not possible to use FAT32 formated USD sticks, also not possible then to use DVDs.
So, why not make for installation package separate partition and then install directly from hard drive?

Because:

1. Very few know and mention it. I haven't found any website with instructions about the process.

Why it's bad idea

1. If setup fails, then you will still need to use second computer, DVD, USB or HDD to be able to fix system or to try some other Windows setup.

2. Very few know how to safely get rid of the setup partition afterwards, because by default the installation partition is set as the first boot partition, deleting it will not allow booting up Windows, unless you correctly modified boot settings in msconfig.exe or used other special program.

3. 16 MB sized Microsoft Reserved partition needs to be created to correct location by setup and is ment to be allowed to be done automatically into totally partionless hard drive.

4. New Win10 20H1 builds have Recovery partition created to right side, next to C drive, instead of having it on left. People who don't clean install 20H1 build or those who create extra partition to right side and then upgrade from 19H2 to 20H1 builds will most likely notice multiple Recovery partitions in various locations.

TheEmpathicEar

It is possible to eliminate this 16MB MS Reserved Partition? This always annoyed me. It seems the only way is to format the target drive as NTFS first, and next, do the installation?

51 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

It is possible to eliminate this 16MB MS Reserved Partition? This always annoyed me. It seems the only way is to format the target drive as NTFS first, and next, do the installation?

According to Wikipedia the MSR is used when HDD is powering off, to keep a copy of cached data. No clue if deleting it is worth it. With Win10 it's usually 16 MB, but with previous Windows it can be 128 MB.

No clue what partition layout will be with GPT format, but with previous Windows versions if you deleted all partitions, selected to create a new partition, then no extra recovery partition was created, instead Winre.wim was added into C drive.

If you or someone else has time to experiment, then yes, would be interesting to know if recent 19H2 1909 and 20H1 19035 Win10 versions create partitions to non clean disk that has only 1 partition without any unallocated space and if MSR deletion causes any issues.

It's easy to solve your problem by using WinPE, you can use Sergei Strelec’s WinPE to create a bootable disk, and copy Windows iso file to USB, load in WinPE and copy iso to hard disk, then install system from hardisk directly. I use this method all the time.

Sergei Strelec’s WinPE includes many free data and partition recovery software such as R-Studio 8.7, Active File Recovery, Active Partition Recovery, Runtime GetDataBack for NTFS, Runtime GetDataBack for FAT, DM Disk Editor and Data Recovery, UFS Explorer Professional Recovery, Hetman Partition Recovery, Eassos Recovery, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and Ontrack EasyRecovery

Perhaps I'm too late but still, following are the steps to create a Bootable USB(specifically meant for Windows 10 version 1909):

1) Create a Blank FAT32 Non-Bootable USB using RUFUS:

Make sure the options are as follows in Rufus:

Boot selection: Non bootable;

Partition Scheme: GPT;

Target System: BIOS or UEFI;

Volume Label: Win1909(or anything you like)

File System: FAT32(Default)

Now select start then ok to format USB flash drive. Now delete the autorun files created on a blank FAT32 formatted USB flash drive.

2) Manually Create Bootable USB:

a) Right click on ISO & select mount.              b) Copy all the files to the USB except sources which contains the install.wim.

c) Then create a new folder on the USB called sources.

d) Copy all the files in the sources folder on the ISO except the install.wim onto the USB Flash Drive

3) Splitting the Install.wim into Multiple Install.swm Files:

a) Copy the install.wim directly to the C:\Drive.

b) Now right click the start button and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).

c) Copy and paste the following command into the PowerShell Window, then press [Enter].

Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:C:\install.wim /SWMFile:C:\install.swm /FileSize:4000

d) This will create two (or more) install.swm files. Copy these to the sources folder of the Bootable USB.

Hope it helps.

I do everything with DOS. Run Command Prompt in Administrator mode, use DISKPART command for partitioning, then use bootsect.exe command from boot folder of the Installation media to make to USB drive bootable, then XCOPY command to copy all the contents of the installation media to USB drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rufus.

Need to disable secure boot.

Previously I would recommend FAT32 for the USB Flash Drive (for maximum compatibility) but that's difficult now given the file sizes (> 4GB) so it's now NTFS.

Probably only works for semi recent computers (within the past 6 years). I can imagine older computers (10 years old) who have MBR only and can only read FAT32 drives will have more challenges with getting a bootable drive.

There is an official tool from Microsoft called "Windows USB DVD tool". For me, it never failed to work with any previous windows versions. Never tried it for the version you have mentioned.

Site: https://www.microsoft.com
Sharecode: /en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Another good option is "Balena Etcher".

There are other good utilities available like "Universal USB installer" which I have used earlier for installing Linux based OS. Works with Windows also.

Apart form these options there is a utlitity called "ImageWriter" which you can use from Live Environment of many linux based OSs like Manjaro or Ubuntu.

• 1 month later...

I will ALWAYS use AIO Boot Creator. Simply the best and most advanced Multi-Boot Media Creator. Beats every other similar products of the niche. It has also a solution to boot WINPE for bad screen who goes blank on booting WINPE. Uses GRUB2 bootloader. I have 256GB USB drive. All loaded with tons of OS including Windows, Linux distros, Android, Anti-virus Tools, Back-up tools, Hard Drive tools Imaging tools. What amazing about this tool is that it allows you to boot any WINPE, Linux ISO, WIM, IMA, VHD, VHD, IMG. It also allow you to integrate special packs Sergei Strelec's PE, Hiren's Boot CD, and Ultimate Boot CD. I have formatted my USB to NTFS. Works both with BIOS and UEFI. You guys should try it. You will never look back to other tools once you realize how powerful and useful this tool is.

https://www.aioboot.com/en/

How about Rufus?I have used it to create a bootable Windows 10 USB,but now i am not sure if it works as before.

On 3/11/2020 at 3:02 PM, ohiodukc said:

Anything for doing this on Mac? It seems Rufus only works on Windows.

How to create bootable Windows 10 USB on Mac?Boot Camp Assistant is able to do that on Mac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)

https://www.androidphonesoft.com/resources/create-windows-10-bootable-usb-on-mac.html

To be safe,you'd better do some more searches on Google,these are all i got.

Archived