Best app to backup pics from iphone under win?

mp68terr

A friend asked me to backup his photos from his iphone.

The iphone (7?) will likely be connected to the pc through a usb cable; heard about apps like idevice manager, imazing, itools. Any recommendation regarding the best app to use, possibly portable and without having to install apple stuff/bloatware into my pc?

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mp68terr

• debebee

• Quilva

when you connect iphone to pc yo will be asked if you trust this pc.. 

if you answer yes, you will see photos on windows explorer.. 

Not sure if itu es is needed for driver support 

@bayer

Yes, I am aware of this trust thing. Thanks.

Years ago (maybe 3 or 4) I had to install itunes for the drivers, was hoping not to have to do that again with the updated apps, because it ended reinstalling win to get rid of itunes/apple stuff.

Yes, the iphone will be connected to the pc through a usb cable. Wireless might work too but usb seems to be the fastest and the most reliable way.

Will try around the middle of the week.

There is 2 solid way.
1)Copy it to 2nd device/storage not conected every day...
2)Use good solid cloud storage like SpiderOAK with  end-to-end encyption and Restoring point in time.
https://spideroak.support/hc/en-us/articles/115001893723-Restoring-Your-Data-With-Point-in-Time
Mean its hold your each pervous modification file... So if ransomware atack your device during cloud conecting it will not harm files or even its does you can undo changes :)

Edited by Quilva

15 hours ago, Quilva said:

There is 2 solid way.

Thanks for the advice.

The plan it to simply copy the files to my pc then burn a cd/dvd in order to free space on the phone.

As noted above, there are several applications made for that purpose, just wondering which one is recommended, without to have to install (then have to remove) itunes and/or other apple stuff.

Going the cloud way would require a faster connection than the one I have, plus it would mean copy to the cloud from the phone, then copy from the cloud to my pc (2 network connections instead of copying directly from the iphone to the pc).

50 minutes ago, bayer said:

Just  connect the phone to PC via USB

Ok, will see what happens when he brings the phone. These specialized apps might not be necessary.

1 hour ago, mp68terr said:

Thanks for the advice.

The plan it to simply copy the files to my pc then burn a cd/dvd in order to free space on the phone.

As noted above, there are several applications made for that purpose, just wondering which one is recommended, without to have to install (then have to remove) itunes and/or other apple stuff.

Going the cloud way would require a faster connection than the one I have, plus it would mean copy to the cloud from the phone, then copy from the cloud to my pc (2 network connections instead of copying directly from the iphone to the pc).

Yea 1st way sems legit.
About cloud you can sync all devices beetwen myself if need. And its 1 cloud  with you conect your devices (some provident limit devices to 3 or 5 etc some no limit)
Or you wanna use 2 cloud servers (accounts - same or another provident)

About speed.. you need consider not even speed download but also upload... and somet cloud provident are badass and thortle upload speed expetialy when you use free account. But its not important at last you will upload files a bit longer but still will be uploaded :)
You have yet consider ransomware atack, not all cloud like SpiderOAK have protection agains ransomware and not hold pervous modificated files - look screenshot.
So if virus encrypt your  data can also encrypt your files in cloud.
https://imgur.com/a/K6lor8e

But on these its also workout solution just dont have 24/7 autologin enabled on device which you don't trust at all :)

Yet another idea can be use some SRP to folder and other programs/process will be not allowed to read/write/modify these files.
I put limit on my PC by software like SpyShellter and Sandboxie ( while yet izolate process/files from rest system resource)
https://www.sandboxie.com/RestrictionsSettings
https://www.sandboxie.com/ResourceAccessSettings
https://www.spyshelter.com/protected-files/

But dunno if exist kind of software on phone..

Edited by Quilva

39 minutes ago, mp68terr said:

Ok, will see what happens when he brings the phone. These specialized apps might not be necessary.

Specialized Apps may only be needed if moving MUSIC NOTIFICATIONS  RINGTONES VIDEOS CONTACTS...

For basic Photos Apple has less restrictions on Camera Storage

As a first trial, the iphone was connected to a linux system through its usb cable. DCIM folder with pics and movies showed up at once (after granting access to the linux device).

Was able to copy all files except some .mov files that are probably of the so-called 'live photo' style/format. Got error messages for these files (named IMG_xxxx.MOV) on the linux system when trying to copy them, but did not find so far how to list name files on the iphone to specifically check these files, only snapshots and the like.