Bloggers on WordPress can now charge readers for subscription

zanderthunder

zanderthunder

191115-wordpress-app-blog-768x441.jpg

Sustaining a content site can be a challenge especially if you’re doing it full time. Ad revenue might not be sufficient and the next best option is to charge subscriptions for selected content, which is a model that’s adopted by a number of mainstream news websites. Now content creators on WordPress or Jetpack-powered websites are able to charge subscriptions easily with its new Recurring Payments feature. It is available now and it is supported in 135 countries.

191115-wordpress-subscription-fees-2.png

The Recurring Payments is introduced as a monetisation tool for content creators and it can be used to charge for newsletters, monthly donations or sell access to exclusive content through a simplified payment system. It is available to bloggers or creators on any paid WordPress.com plan which starts from USD 49 per year for the personal option.

Although the login uses WordPress.com, the payment is handled by Stripe. You can get started by going to the Earn section of WordPress and a Stripe account is needed in order to receive payments.

Depending on which WordPress or Jetpack plan you’re on, WordPress will get a cut between 0-8%. On top of that, there are additional transaction fees for Stripe where they will charge 2.9% + USD0.30 per transaction.

191115-wordpress-subscription-fees.png

Overall, it is a hassle-free way for content creators to get monetary support from its readers. The only complaint is the high transaction fees above 10% if you’re on the entry-level WordPress or Jetpack plan. On top of that, it currently accepts credit and debit cards only. If you’re interested, you can check out this guide on WordPress.com.

Another alternative for content creators is to go on Patreon which charges a lower 5% fee on monthly income for the basic plan. Would you pay for website content subscription? Let us know in the comments below.

Source:
2. A New Way to Earn Money on WordPress.com (via WordPress Blog) - reference to the main article
3. WordPress introduces a new way for bloggers to get paid (via The Verge) - secondary reference to the main article

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking donations is one thing but  it will be dead and niche sites too if they block  it with a paywall,  Most word-press sites  dont have nothing you can't  find on the next one  and get it for free viewing ads. Its like News sites  that use paywalls i have stuff to unblock them in my browsers were i can see it for free, but if i didn't it would not matter .  I can just somewhere else read the news for free  , or listen on the online radio or listen   to it on my offline radio i use when the power is  out, or just go  to YouTube  or pluto.tv,   or use Kodi  and watch the news .  I know people on YouTube who use Patron even Linux Mint do but it's optional. I don't really belong  to many free  sites anymore so if they block it were i have to sign in , i just go somewhere else so i'm sure not going to pay . many forums and torrent sites delete you if you dont sign in every so often and if I've not signed in in months means its not something i really need ,so if i go back and I'm deleted i never bother joining back.  :hehe:

Archived