Windows 10 will soon stop support WEP WIFI encryption

Karlston

Windows 10 will soon stop support WEP WIFI encryption

Of the number of technologies Microsoft will start deprecating in Windows 10, one familiar name is WEP WIFI encryption.

Since the May 2019 Update, Windows 10 has been showing a warning when users connect to WIFI networks secured via WEP or TKIP warning users that these protocols are now easily hacked.

Microsoft warns that in future releases Windows 10 will simply refuse to connect to such networks.

Microsoft recommends users switch their legacy routers to those which support AES ciphers, available with WPA2 or WPA3.

WEP dates all the way back to 1997 and was the only encryption protocol available to 802.11a and 802.11b devices. It was fully cracked in 2001, with only 1 minute of packet collection needed to expose the encryption key.

Suffice to say if you are still using WEP its about high time that you replace your hardware, and Windows 10 will soon help nudge you along that way.

Source: Windows 10 will soon stop support WEP WIFI encryption  (MSPoweruser)

• Replies 3
  • Views 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since only like 15% of internet users buy there modems  and waste  $120 plus a year renting them from there ISP  it will be mostly up to ISPs to replace them if they still have old ones . It's like smartphones in some countries most every one lease to own them  and they turn them in for a new one so they never get paid for.

From  How to  Geek-

If you don’t see any options better than WEP or TKIP you should replace your router as soon as possible. If you’re using an ISP-provided router, you could contact them to see if they’ll offer a newer model.

But a better option might be to buy one and return the old router to your ISP. They may be charging you a monthly fee to have it and depending on how long you have had the router you could have paid for it several times over already.

Source Also there is Guide to fix it here if you have a new modem.

https://www.howtogeek.com/423708/why-windows-10-says-your-wi-fi-network-isnt-secure/

My modem is not old ,   but  i never use WiFi it slows you down  when streaming and downloading  im hard wired into my modem  for years now but others on my network use wireless . :)

Archived