steven36

My Search For The Perfect Linux OS Just Ended — With An Unexpected Surprise

PLASMA

Indeed with Linux you can resurrect your old-dead pcs, as for the distro hopping....that's the joy of it, you never get bored....

Edited by PLASMA

steven36

Well you have to take in consideration .Jason Evangelho job is  to write about Linux  and gaming . If he really stop distro hoping  he would run out of things to post about  .  I  been using Linux a few  more years than he has . A little over 4 years now . I stop distro  hoping in  Apirl 2017. I dont even turn my testing  machine  on in years . I dont get paid to test software  I tested cracked Windows software for years  and it got me no were except for me and  my friends didn't have to buy software . Well on Linux most all apps are free  already so after you learn it  there is else nothing to do .  .Jason Evangelho 1st choice was Ubuntu and then Pop OS and Peppermint  is based on Ubuntu too so there no real learning curve there . 

Windows 10 is not boring  yet  it lots of work  trouble shooting  bugs  and new versions coming out  you can even be a insider  if you like . But is not very consumer friendly  Windows 10 home  that comes on Stock PCs is a PITA  and most consumers dont know how to trouble shoot that the reason they used windows  with  10 years support using the same OS with very little over head.  Most people who visit  Tech forums and read the PC  centric news know how to work on computers  or they are learning how  . But thats just  a small percentage  of people on the internet.  What I'm saying sometimes boring is good  . I've been using the same setup for almost 2 years now  i dont have time to be testing software  24/7 anymore if you do ether you have to much time on your hands and it's just a hobby  and you will burn out sooner or latter or your  being paid . I got burn out  on testing Win 32 apps back in 2011 and after i learn how to use Linux  there it was nothing much else to  do i have less troubles than i had with Windows 10 because i use only LTS Linux for almost 2 years now.

mp68terr
13 hours ago, steven36 said:

Ubuntu was all I knew.

I was becoming influential within the Linux community... regularly covering Linux at Forbes...

Many of nsane forumers could be considered as influential experts and write for this mag then.

halvgris

i have been using linux for 13 years on and off.

first i would always go for ubuntu but then as

always i found myself drown in all apps that i

had no intention of using.

i have now settled with mx linux slim with the

minimum programs i do use even more at

hand if i wish to explore.

my tip for any new linux users. remember the

passwords. try a usb distro first so you know

wifi and other things work. installing drivers is

a bit more complicated on linux.

steven36
9 hours ago, mp68terr said:

Many of nsane forumers could be considered as influential experts and write for this mag then.

I doubt it because  because  hes a Gaming Technician he covered Gaming and Tech at Forbes  for over a decade. Hes a  Senior Contributor he been writing news longer than  many people that are active on the forums today even been members . You need a Bachelors degree in journalism, and prior experience  to even write for Forbes.

Qualifications
  • Bachelors degree in journalism, English, communications, or another appropriate field.
  • At least five years reporting and writing or editing experience.
  • Experience covering the technology industry as a journalist or engaging in other activities that build knowledge about the subject.

Avitar

So everyone is just forgetting about Kali Linux?

THE definitive distro with all the tools built in?

steven36
41 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

If you want to try out an absolutely amazing linux distro, go here:  https://www.linux.com/tutorials/deepin-linux-gorgeous-it-user-friendly/

The guy in the OP covered  that Chinese Distro  so did most every other linux  site . It ranks #10  at  distrowatch .   It comes with outdated apps and has a EULA  so i wouldnt touch it. as far as Linux goes/

Its looks nice  but im not agreeing to :shit:  when install linux here are other caveats 

Con

Deepin store apps not up to date

Con

Team doesn't know what to do

Deepin has changed the base 4 times, and the name 3 times. The Desktop Environment also has been changed 4 times.

Con

Customization is a bit hidden

GUI is not straight forward for changing GTK+ or QT themes.

Con
Slow default repos

Download speed for packages from the default repos, is abnormally slow if you don't choose the correct sever.

Con
Cannot customize desktop environment.

Because the developers have locked down desktop customization is A HUGE detractor against the idea of setting things up how you want.

Con
Based in China

Very slow installer

Because the servers are in China.

Con
Installer lacks features

I consider  Deepin articles to be all hype about eyecandy but it crippleware  compared  to others

Edited by steven36

mp68terr
57 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I doubt it because...

Maybe now... but I was referring to what he wrote in the article: just knowing ubuntu and considered as having influence in the linux community while covering linux in forbes.

dhjohns
40 minutes ago, steven36 said:

The guy in the OP covered  that Chinese Distro  so did most every other linux  site . It ranks #10  at  distrowatch .   It comes with outdated apps and has a EULA  so i wouldnt touch it. as far as Linux goes/

Its looks nice  but im not agreeing to :shit:  when install linux here are other caveats 

Con

Deepin store apps not up to date

Con

Team doesn't know what to do

Deepin has changed the base 4 times, and the name 3 times. The Desktop Environment also has been changed 4 times.

Con

Customization is a bit hidden

GUI is not straight forward for changing GTK+ or QT themes.

Con
Slow default repos

Download speed for packages from the default repos, is abnormally slow if you don't choose the correct sever.

Con
Cannot customize desktop environment.

Because the developers have locked down desktop customization is A HUGE detractor against the idea of setting things up how you want.

Con
Based in China

Very slow installer

Because the servers are in China.

Con
Installer lacks features

I consider  Deepin articles to be all hype about eyecandy but it crippleware  compared  to others

all  this is just your opinion, not based on any facts, and simply not true.  How is based in China a detriment.  You have an issue with the Chinese?  Also, all software has EULA, and the rest of your comments are total BS.  Even Forbes says this is  the best there is!

Edited by dhjohns

steven36
2 minutes ago, mp68terr said:

Maybe now... but I was referring to what he wrote in the article: just knowing ubuntu and considered as having influence in the linux community while covering linux in forbes.

He used more than  just Ubuntu in VMs  for his articles just he runs Ubuntu based  for  his installed media .  Nothing wrong with that i used others Debian and Arch based  before  when i had problems with drivers  but  i went back to Ubuntu. We dont really have many Linux users  at this site  its  mostly Windows based site . Before Windows 10 came out you never  . If it was not for me and few others they not even be nothing about Linux here. 

steven36
5 hours ago, dhjohns said:

all  this is just your opinion, not based on any facts, and simply not true.  How is based in China a detriment.  You have an issue with the Chinese?  Also, all software has EULA, and the rest of your comments are total BS.  Even Forbes says this is  the best there is!

Yes  when it comes to what i use my opinion is all that matters  and yours dont .  As far  as what Jason Evangelho said about at Forbes i take what he said as a hype post.

1. He only tested it in a vm not a real machine

2. If its the best why do he chose to use POP OS and Peppermint instead ?

3. Just like all the other sites that post Linux news that  praised it  but  no journalist i know actually use it as a daily driver.

4. If they dont even use it why i take  should there word for it?

5. They get paid to praise Linux Distros and see it in a positive light  when most of the Linux community are volunteers and  shed light on any problems it may have.

6. Even the Distro i use gets slammed for things and if its wrong i don't defend it . And i hold no alliance to Ubuntu if they ever go to far like Microsoft did  i will switch Distros in a New York minute . I make my own choices .

7. Actuality I dont use  Deepin just like  i dont use any other Distros made by small companies . I  stay with the bigger Distros only . Nothing I wrote about it is of my own opinion it all came from reviews , videos  , and what i read other Linux users say about it witch led to me forming my own opinion about it . But I would not use if it was made by a friend even because I dont want to  use something and they close shop  on me because they got burnt out plus i dont trust there security .

The security team has decided not to continue reviewing deepin related packages until the overall security of deepin has improved. This particularly means upstream needs to be more closely involved, we need a security contact and they need to follow a security protocol to fix issues in a timely manner. […]

Most of those packages still have major security issues that have not been acted upon. […]

In its current shape the deepin software suite is not fit for openSUSE:Factory. A different security culture is needed upstream both on the implementation side and on the process side.

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1136026#c1

8. You must  dont even use GNU Linux and have it confused with Windows. There is no such thing for most of it, only for the proprietary parts, eg flash, nvidia drivers, skype, etc etc that dont come installed  on GNU Linux by default   . You have to enable and  agree to use non free  packages are install  a non free ISO but your only agreeing to terms of  a piece  of closed source software you need. .  there are different versions of GPL, LGPL, BSD and several other licenses, none of which have or need a standard EULA.  Open source software only has a license  in the install folder unless  you plain  to redistribute it  dont  matter you own it and you can  do as like with  it. 

You don't agree  to anything for most open software one exception is VLC  they prompt you do you want opt out of  them logging . Any Firefox will ask you do you want to opt out or not of servile things but dont have ELUA . you must agree to them logging you or not . But MPV  and other players dont even Log .  If you chose to use Closed Source software on Linux  you have to agree to each vendors EULA were you cant hold them labile and they can  do what they want , but they can hold you liable for altering it.

Debian and Firefox fight for 10 years over the fact Firefox had a   ELUA  saying they couldn't   use  Debian Patches with it so they forked Firefox into ICE Weasel tell Firefox gave in  and the Firefox logo was released under the free copyright license so there EULA  means nothing since  2016.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3036509/iceweasel-will-be-renamed-firefox-as-relations-between-debian-and-mozilla-thaw.html

Moonchild / Palemoon act the same way as Firefox use to so there not really open-source  and no distro will host there packages they have there own Linux installer .

Edited by steven36

jango

My thought is nobody's perfect in this world even the God in the bible the Creator he make flood of his first creation because there is bug and error? Even Boss Bill Gates believe in God, But maybe we can fix the bug and error code to make a almost perfect OS ?

Edited by jango