Jump to content
I Am Negan

Firewall Problem

Recommended Posts

I Am Negan

I hope you guys can help. After i block a program via popup window, it then pops up again a day later or so. Why isn't it remembering my selection? Dont do it on all programs just a couple.

 

I'm using windows firewall control 5.4.1.0. windows 10 x64 home - 10.0.17763

Edited by I Am Negan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalju

You should say very precisely what you want to block.

A firewall is an application designed to control network connections  from a computer, and to allow or disable network connections according to the rules set for it.

Edited by Kalju

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Israeli_Eagle

Not fully understand yet what you mean... Maybe a screenshot might help.

And maybe clean your system a bit, especially the auto startups.

 

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
funkyy

Depending on what you're trying to block, maybe try stopping the process or the service.

Edited by funkyy
added option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I Am Negan

I was trying to block O&O Defrag live update

 

 

Untitled2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reefa
17 minutes ago, funkyy said:

Depending on what you're trying to block, maybe try stopping the process or the service.

 

Also if firewall block doesn't work look at maybe your Hostfile sometimes if not more you need to sort out both..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I Am Negan

When you run the program you always get a firewall popup. (liveupdate)

 

I do have hosts too. B)

Edited by I Am Negan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reefa
5 minutes ago, I Am Negan said:

When you run the program you always get a firewall popup. (liveupdate)

 

I do have hosts too. B)

 

:rasta:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I Am Negan
5 minutes ago, Reefa said:

 

:rasta:

Can never be too safe. Just don’t understand why something that you mark blocked keeps getting alerts. I mean I do have “any” in all the parameters. So why the additional alert and further attempt to connect to the Internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Israeli_Eagle

To stop that forever... What do you think about IDA Pro? :rasta:

 

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalju

If you've blocked something, that doesn't mean that this app or something other (for example service) isn't trying to access the Internet.
If you don't want notifications, turn them off. You can turn off each message or notification individually, but if you want, You can to turn off all notifications. Sometimes is even possible remove some subprograms or services, for eample program autoupdaters or update services or sheduled tasks for some programs.
But of course, You must to know, what is possible remove, what can only block.

And if You're talking about O&O Defrag Live Update, then there is nothing needed to block with firewall, it's scheduled task what You can disable from program settings or if something has been changed, then from startup manager or from Task Scheduler. 
I said, if has been changed, because I don't use it for a while, because it is very bad and now, when I have SSD-s only, I have nothing to do with such a widgets. They are absolutely useless.

Edited by Kalju

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Israeli_Eagle
7 minutes ago, Kalju said:

And if You're talking about O&O Defrag Live Update, then there is nothing needed to block with firewall, it's scheduled task what You can disable from program settings or if something has been changed, then from startup manager or from Task Scheduler.

 

True... As I said already: Clean your system a bit and Scheduler is usually the first. :coolwink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I Am Negan

OK thanks guys I’ll try that.

 

Quote

I said, if has been changed, because I don't use it for a while, because it is very bad and now, when I have SSD-s only, I have nothing to do with such a widgets. They are absolutely useless.

Are you talking about Windows firewall control or startup manager & Task Scheduler?

Edited by I Am Negan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spudboy

Try deleting the rule and recreating it. You should also update to the latest version of WFC 6.0.2.0. I've used the app for a couple of years now and haven't experienced this issue. Although I believe it's happening. Like I said, try deleting the rule & updating to the latest version, then re-creating it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalju
2 hours ago, I Am Negan said:

OK thanks guys I’ll try that.

Quote

I said, if has been changed, because I don't use it for a while, because it is very bad and now, when I have SSD-s only, I have nothing to do with such a widgets. They are absolutely useless.

Are you talking about Windows firewall control or startup manager & Task Scheduler?

Cannot understand how is possible at all to think so.
As You saw, there was talked about O&O Defrag and its Live Updater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalju
51 minutes ago, spudboy said:

Try deleting the rule and recreating it. You should also update to the latest version of WFC 6.0.2.0. I've used the app for a couple of years now and haven't experienced this issue. Although I believe it's happening. Like I said, try deleting the rule & updating to the latest version, then re-creating it.

There's nothing to do with a firewall. It's not the problem at all, there's nothing needed to do with firewall. The firewall is not at all relevant in this case.

This is a scheduled job/task and Windows alerts/notifications and O&O Defrag settings problem.

Forget about this firewall, the current case has nothing to do with the firewall.

Edited by Kalju

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I Am Negan
1 hour ago, Kalju said:

Cannot understand how is possible at all to think so.
As You saw, there was talked about O&O Defrag and its Live Updater.

I got you now. Maybe I need to stop drinking or start.😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brain_death

You can probably just delete ooliveupdate.exe, since you won't be able to use it anyway, without invalidating your warranty, so to speak.

 

Just rename the .exe to ooliveupdate_exe.bak if you want to test that out for sure, as an interim measure. Or move it to another folder...

 

Some applications create temporary processes that your firewall needs to block separately each time.

 

 

Edited by brain_death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalju
14 minutes ago, brain_death said:

You can probably just delete ooliveupdate.exe, since you won't be able to use it anyway, without invalidating your warranty, so to speak.

Just rename the .exe to ooliveupdate_exe.bak if you want to test that out for sure, as an interim measure. Or move it to another folder...

Some applications create temporary processes that your firewall needs to block separately each time.

Completely incomprehensible, why not update?
There are rarely updates, and you always get the message that there is an update. Then you decide if and how to upgrade. And if you don't even want a notification, just turn off auto-check for updates and that's it. How is that so complicated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brain_death

If the OP updates via the program, the OP's registration will be invalidated...

 

Plus, due to the entries in the OP's hosts file, the OP will not be able to anyhow.

 

;)

 

PS: O&O Defrag checks for updates, whether you select this option or not. There are no scheduled tasks involved, but a service you can disable, depending on whether you want to use automatic defragmentation or just run this yourself manually.

 

Since any update checks are then redirected by the OP's hosts file, it would arguably be harmless to allow unrestricted access through the OP's firewall.

 

#_O

 

Edited by brain_death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalju

As I said above, I do not currently have any O&O products installed and do not use them, but have used a lot in the past.
So have they really changed the activation system?
In the past, all O&O products had been activated without the Internet, ie the activation key was generated based on a username and organization name, and it was always possible to use auto-upgrade, because they didn't have any database of registered users and they didn't never checked any registration key or username.
Frankly, I don't think they have started storing all users in their database now, maybe only these who bought directly fromO&O store.
I have one HDD and there is current windows 10 installed. If I have time and bother, I'll check back soon. But they have also enterprise licenses what don't checked at all.
OK, I'll check it soon and will report here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brain_death

Well --

 

If you run solely on SSDs, you have no need to degragment.

 

O&O changed their activations maybe, two/three versions ago? It might be longer, but I don't recall.

 

Folk know this software is dying. So obviously do the program's authors, publishers and distributors...

 

Just make it freeware. Much respect!!

 

;((

 

 

Edited by brain_death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalju

If anyone is interested in using Powershell to add Windows 10 firewall rules, here is one example.
In given case, here is everything you need to disable Wise Registry Cleaner if it is installed on a 64-bit Windows 10 computer.
(I mean, if you install as you normally would. If you have a 32-bit computer, just remove (x86) and the space before it. If you need another program, replace the addresses.)

How to use them?
Start Windows PowerShell as administrator, wait for it to start fully, add the rule one by one and click Enter

Rules:

New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "WiseRegCleaner" -Direction Inbound -Program "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wise\Wise Registry Cleaner\WiseRegCleaner.exe" -Action Block -Profile Domain, Private, Public
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "WiseRegCleaner" -Direction Outbound -Program "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wise\Wise Registry Cleaner\WiseRegCleaner.exe" -Action Block -Profile Domain, Private, Public
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "WiseRegCleaner LiveUpdate" -Direction Inbound -Program "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wise\Wise Registry Cleaner\LiveUpdate.exe" -Action Block -Profile Domain, Private, Public
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "WiseRegCleaner LiveUpdate" -Direction Outbound -Program "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wise\Wise Registry Cleaner\LiveUpdate.exe" -Action Block -Profile Domain, Private, Public

Screenshot:

KUm3hed.jpg

 

Edited by Kalju

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spudboy
On 11/2/2019 at 11:00 PM, Kalju said:

There's nothing to do with a firewall. It's not the problem at all, there's nothing needed to do with firewall. The firewall is not at all relevant in this case.

This is a scheduled job/task and Windows alerts/notifications and O&O Defrag settings problem.

Forget about this firewall, the current case has nothing to do with the firewall.


Just. No. Stop. It's already been pointed out by another user that there is no scheduled task for updates & there is no setting in O&O to enable/disable automatic updates. Also, when a firewall alert pops up asking for outbound permissions when there is already a very specific rule created to block it, it has VERY much to do with the WFC notifications/rules not acting correctly. The problem here is NOT that the "task" is not working correctly, it's that the FIREWALL is not working correctly.

1) I have O&O Defrag installed.
2) I also use WFC.
3) I have the same block rule the OP does.
4) I do not receive the popup.

 

tl;dr You're wrong. The app/service/task/update, whatever you choose to call it, is working 100% as intended. WFC is not. Period. The user needs to try my suggestions if they haven't already done so.

vmRhaf2.png

Edited by spudboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...