- SOLVED - A question about my ISP, VPN and torrents

frankl1n

I have a paid subscription to Nord VPN. Lately it has been slow as fcuk for torrents! I understand that my ISP can not tell exactly what I am doing when I am protected by VPN, but can they tell the traffic is P2P? Can my ISP see real IP? The reason I ask is because my torrents start out OK then degrade into a mind numbingly slow rate! I think my ISP knows it is P2P and then throttles it back...way back. This has become frustrating because I am accustomed to much better speeds for torrents and now I might as well not even try to use P2P.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My advice for what it's worth:  

1. Ditch the VPN
  2. Get a Seed Box

Deluge offers built-in encryption for people that aren't running a VPN. The advantage of encryption is it blocks 3rd parties (like your ISP) from reading your traffic or seeing that you're downloading torrents. This also stops them from throttling your torrents and may result in faster speeds.

https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Download

4 hours ago, frankl1n said:

but can they tell the traffic is PTP? Can my ISP see real IP?

With Nord no. Your traffic will be miss mash to your isp ..I would suggest to enable internet kill switch though just in case you loose connection which does happen ..Also don't think you just have to use p2p servers i always connect to Switzerland as they pretty much don't mind file sharing ..good luck..

Remember the man in the mask stands out from the crowd.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:00 PM, Reefa said:

With Nord no. Your traffic will be miss mash to your isp ..I would suggest to enable internet kill switch though just in case you loose connection which does happen ..Also don't think you just have to use p2p servers i always connect to Switzerland as they pretty much don't mind file sharing ..good luck..

Yes kill switch is enabled and yes Ive noticed that many servers they offer will do P2P even that they are not listed as so. But still as of late my torrenting experience is very frustrating because speeds are soooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooow...next time I will try Switzerland

On 10/27/2019 at 9:24 PM, brian_online said:

Deluge offers built-in encryption for people that aren't running a VPN. The advantage of encryption is it blocks 3rd parties (like your ISP) from reading your traffic or seeing that you're downloading torrents. This also stops them from throttling your torrents and may result in faster speeds.

https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Download

I will look into this!

On 10/28/2019 at 4:04 AM, dhjohns said:

Remember the man in the mask stands out from the crowd.

LOL not anymore..:tooth:

Not only that i have been subbed with nord for about 3 years with no trouble at all..So i gave my my brother the tail end if you no what i mean however his download speed compared to mine are horrific like 2 Mbps mine 50 Mbps ..Contacted nord they didn't even have a clue why ..And he supposedly has higher speeds than me lol i don't get it..:bong::rasta:

• 4 weeks later...

This is an older topic, but here are a couple of FACTS - YES - if interested, your internet provider CAN tell by the type of up/down traffic on your connection that you are torrenting without seeing what sites you are connected to or what you are downloading/uploading (even if they were to Think you are torrenting when you're not, it is their opinion that matters) ... NO! Neither You, NOR ANY SOFTWARE OR VPN can prevent them from throttling or blocking your connection if that is what they decide to do! Your provider (and their automatic connection monitor  programs) has Complete Control over the Speed that They Allow on your connection, and NO THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE OR CAN HARDWARE CHANGE THAT FACT.

• Administrator

I suggest cutting the number of connection and peers your client tries to connect to. Worth trying it.

• 1 month later...

hey guys thanks for the suggestions, I found the culprit, it was my torrent client. I switched to qBittorrent and all is fine. Speeds are very acceptable now for torrents. I was using uTorrent and for some reason could not attain good speeds. Topic title edited to reflect solved.

Archived