New Laptop

Betts1964

I am looking to buy a new laptop and I want spent between 800-1000 $.

I will be using it for streaming sporting events, internet, e-mail, longevity, 15" screen size, ssd, windows os, backlit keyboard, quad core, I5-I7, 8 -12 GB RAM.

What do you recommend?

thx

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Samsung Notebook 9 15" could be a option. Its thin and with the Samsung engineering.

The thing that I don't like about ALMOST ALL new laptops though is that they have taken away the separate L-button R-button push-buttons on the mouse trackpad and rather have the whole trackpad be pushable - which makes for a muddy experience and you can never get the entire thing to push down correctly and do a L-button push. Therefore I have to use a external mouse on all new laptops with this whole push-down mousebutton. A consideration to try in the stores to see if you can handle clicking that way - that is why I buy older used laptops that have the separate L-buttons and R-buttons.

Compare the two images below.

Touchpad.png

Acer_CB5-311_series_touchpad.jpg

Buttons gone - you cant click on the whole thing and get leverage enough to activate the spring! Warrant enough to buy a old used laptop with old stye discrete buttons.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:13 PM, bayer said:

No such thing as  longevity

When the battery goes, it's pretty much out the trash bin

Not hardly. Many laptops allow battery replacements...Hardware will outlast batteries as well

On 10/17/2019 at 7:13 AM, bayer said:

No such thing as  longevity

it depends on the user. if used as a desktop only use battery

every now and then to keep it alive. if you live in an area where

you lose power use battery unplug charger and recharge if

belove 10%.

i have loads of old laptops refitted with ssd hard drives which

still have up to 4 hours battery. surfing and dvd rom powered.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:02 AM, bob92132 said:

The Samsung Notebook 9 15" could be a option. Its thin and with the Samsung engineering.

The thing that I don't like about ALMOST ALL new laptops though is that they have taken away the separate L-button R-button push-buttons on the mouse trackpad and rather have the whole trackpad be pushable - which makes for a muddy experience and you can never get the entire thing to push down correctly and do a L-button push. Therefore I have to use a external mouse on all new laptops with this whole push-down mousebutton. A consideration to try in the stores to see if you can handle clicking that way - that is why I buy older used laptops that have the separate L-buttons and R-buttons.

Compare the two images below.

Touchpad.png

Acer_CB5-311_series_touchpad.jpg

Buttons gone - you cant click on the whole thing and get leverage enough to activate the spring! Warrant enough to buy a old used laptop with old stye discrete buttons.

i agree while i personally have no use for right click.

i'm a key shortcut user. up til windows 7 i only used keys,

which became close to impossible after windows 8 and

later.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:13 AM, bayer said:

My original battery is good for about 2 hours; por some real use of a laptop, 2 hours too few. Normally, I use it for about 5-6 hours at a time, and of course I find it convenient to close down it as fully chareged as possible. It's simply unavoidable to use it all time connected to power source. I have an old laptop whose battery won't hold charge, so I only can use it coonected to power. A new battery is not available for this model. So, what's the REAL and PRACTICAL difference? For working purpose, THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE! For casual using, the new laptop is fine: I open the lid and start working but to use both, I depend of having them connected to charger. 

So, as long as you can use  your portable, even in you can't charge the battery, you can continue using it, no need to trash it.

• 7 months later...

Hey bets1964

i personally like the Dell Inspiron 15 series as they have decent battery life and are very reliable and should be within that budget as well

Archived