Security Suite with firewall

dragons2020

In your opinion what is the best free security suite with firewall. Lately i have been having many problems with Norton Security.

Maybe time to switch.

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I ask what problems you're facing with Norton? I'm considering switching to it.

According to the latest tests from av-test.org and av-comparatives.org, Norton seems to be scoring pretty high.

But imho you can't go wrong with Bitdefender, I've been using it for at least three years now and I don't think it ever caused any trouble :)

What specific features do you need from the firewall? If you don't need anything fancy, maybe go with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall just like Radpop suggested.

By the way, there's an excellent tool to manage Windows' Firewall called "Windows Firewall Control" from Binisoft, and it's completely free:

https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

@megadorus. I have been using Norton for more than 10 years. It is great. The problems are not so much Norton but the trial reset. After Norton 22.19 the tr,s have been giving me problems. I have to complete uninstall. Clean install, run tr, Activated. 1 to 2 days later no longer activated. I would buy it buy it but i have a very small budget. I will try the reset for 22.19 and if not good then switch.

Just stick with Windows Defender and change the GPO to stop scanning files on-access (Windows key + R → gpedit → realtime protection → configure activity scan of files and programs in and out → activate → scan inbound files) and Simplewall if you want a more user friendly graphical interface to configure Windows Firewall.

PS: Sorry since I'm French I don't exactly know how to translate well the path to the GPO setting but I hope it gave you actual useful hints to find it.

breachinbleach

Is the setting named configure monitoring of incoming and outgoing file and program activity? The setting should be 1? Thks

Comodo... but the free version is buried somewhere...

here!

I found the problem with my Norton. It was User Error. I was trying to use TR 22.17 on Norton 22.18. I will stay with Norton for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for all your comments.

16 hours ago, breachinbleach said:

Is the setting named configure monitoring of incoming and outgoing file and program activity? The setting should be 1? Thks

I'm not at home for the moment but check the description, I think it's the 1 indeed. 

I think for advanced users Eset Internet Security is the best. Very configurable and powerful antivirus, firewall and web protection in one nice package.

Its not free, but you have options such as trial reset and 2-3 month licenses in Giveaways section of forum.

Just don't use those keys you find on google because they rarely last longer then 2-3 weeks.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:01 AM, JohnTk said:

I think for advanced users Eset Internet Security is the best.

Very configurable and powerful antivirus, firewall and web protection in one nice package.

- Configurable and Light System Impact: YES.

-Powerful: NOT at all.

xlhe87h4hpy3d7hik9eep_s.png

https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/?usertype=consumer&chart_chart=chart2&chart_year=2019&chart_month=Jul-Aug&chart_sort=1&chart_zoom=2

breachinbleach
On 9/30/2019 at 5:30 AM, Nastrahl said:

I'm not at home for the moment but check the description, I think it's the 1 indeed. 

what does this setting change exactly/ Thks

21 hours ago, breachinbleach said:

what does this setting change exactly/ Thks

It makes Windows Defender scan only inbound files, so only when they comes down to your computer, instead of scanning them also when the computer read/launch them, which can be ressource intensive and slow down the processes.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:55 PM, morteza said:

For advanced user , SEP is the best and absolutely free

Yeah but the IDS feature can be a ressource hog and greatly decrease your bandwidth on fast connections.

breachinbleach
20 hours ago, Nastrahl said:

It makes Windows Defender scan only inbound files, so only when they comes down to your computer, instead of scanning them also when the computer read/launch them, which can be ressource intensive and slow down the processes.

So would this make protection and detection less effective? Thks for reply

1 hour ago, breachinbleach said:

So would this make protection and detection less effective? Thks for reply

No because what is scanned when it comes in your computer doesn't need to be scanned again and over again when the computer had to access those files since they're already been diagnosed safe at first.

The only way it can lower the security is if you disabled it first before, let's say, downloading something, since it won't be scanned afterward. But you can run a full scan of your computer from time to time (I think the Windows' periodic maintenance already does that when your computer is idle).

Maybe Windows Defender is already smart enough without this setting enabled/forced, and scan files only when they are modified since a last scan to avoid using unnecessary ressources, I don't know.

Archived