[Solved] MKV Files Have no Sound

csmdew

Some of my recently acquired mkv files do not play sound on both of my dvd players but will on tv and pc.  So I figure it's a codec problem and was wondering if I can fix with a video/audio converter program; if so which is the best, thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which player you are using ?

Captain Caveman
12 hours ago, csmdew said:

Some of my recently acquired mkv files do not play sound on both of my dvd players but will on tv and pc.  So I figure it's a codec problem and was wondering if I can fix with a video/audio converter program; if so which is the best, thanks.

I use to have the same issue with my old WDTV Player.. I used ffmpeg to fix the audio which takes like 30 seconds..

Here is my cmd file that i use..

FOR %%f IN (*.mkv) DO C:\tools\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -i "%%f" -map 0 -vcodec copy -scodec copy -acodec ac3 -b:a 640k "%%~nf"-AC3.mkv

33 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I use to have the same issue with my old WDTV Player.. I used ffmpeg to fix the audio which takes like 30 seconds..

FOR %%f IN (*.mkv) DO C:\tools\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -i "%%f" -map 0 -vcodec copy -scodec copy -acodec ac3 -b:a 640k "%%~nf"-AC3.mkv

Exactly how would I use that; if not in a program I'm not experienced on doing this stuff.

Downloaded both other prgs referenced above with hope I can convert at least 1 movie and see if sound works correctly, thanks.

1 hour ago, csmdew said:

Exactly how would I use that; if not in a program I'm not experienced on doing this stuff.

Put it in a batch file

makecs sure you have the paths to ffmpeg.exe are right

drag and drop files to the batch file

9 hours ago, bayer said:

Put it in a batch file

makecs sure you have the paths to ffmpeg.exe are right

drag and drop files to the batch file

not sure I know how to do that; say movie was at g;movies and had name red river, what would the cmd look like. thanks

14 hours ago, csmdew said:
15 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Downloaded both other prgs referenced above with hope I can convert at least 1 movie and see if sound works correctly

banana.zip

1. Extract to get banana.bat
  2. Copy & paste such that banana.bat, video.mkv and ffmpeg.exe are in the same folder
  3. Drag & drop video.mkv onto banana.bat to get the output named video-AC3.mkv

PS:

I tried it with 8 MB file to get 16 MB file as output.

I downloaded the ffmpeg but got no exe file;  7089 files but no executable.

Found that file in box4 program and ran it; now to check if works, thanks.

Archived