Samsung 320GB 2.5" HDD backup

uth88

Hi all,

I've got an old Dell Inspiron R15 N5010 laptop which has a 320GB Samsung SATA HDD in it. The HDD is detected in BIOS, but not showing whie trying to install any OS. So, I removed the HDD & installed a SSD in it, which solved the problem.

Now, I have some important old photos in the Samsung HDD. I need to recover them from the drive, but it's not getting detected when I tried to connect it with a USB adapter. I guess the circuit board of the HDD is damaged. A friend of mine told me to replace the circuit board with another HDD circuit board for the drive to get detected. But I doubt that it might get only detected if I changed the circuit board with another working Samsung 320GB HDD board.

Now I need a solution to my doubt. I already have a 500GB Hitachi HDD (dead, but I believe the circuit board is still working). Will the Samsung HDD work if I change it's circuit board with the Hitachi HDD, or I need an exact model of the same drive?

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried to Image the HDD and see if you can mount that Image and copy your photo's ?

Does Partition Wizard see it ? 

Are you sure there is still data on the HDD ? (Maybe it got wiped clean or deleted)  

19 hours ago, J.D said:

Have you tried to Image the HDD and see if you can mount that Image and copy your photo's ?

Does Partition Wizard see it ? 

Are you sure there is still data on the HDD ? (Maybe it got wiped clean or deleted)  

The hard drive don't get detected in Windows.

Hi,

Put back the HDD into the machine and try to boot using Parted Magic if the partition table is damaged maybe linux can read it and access the files. This live cd includes a Disk Healt tool that can be used to check the HDD for problems but you shouldn't run the tests if you want to recover the data because if the HDD is really bad it may fail completely when running the tests!

Archived