This free Windows 10 upgrade offer still works. Here's why -- and how to get it

steven36

By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report

0227.jpg

More than three years after Microsoft’s free upgrade offer officially ended, people are still reporting successful Windows 10 upgrades from older machines. Here’s the latest extremely unofficial report.

In January 2017, I wrote a post titled  "Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade." It has become the single most popular post I've ever published at ZDNet, and it still gets hundreds of thousands of pageviews every month.

In the months after that original publication, I rechecked, revised, and updated the post several times. After the first few updates, though, I ran out of old PCs to upgrade; so I tacked on a note at the end of the article, asking readers who tried this technique to use the contact form and let me know how the experience went.

The response to that request has been overwhelming, and it too shows no signs of stopping.

In July and August alone, I received 89 reader messages from all over the world, people who took the time to find the contact form and send details about their Windows 10 upgrade attempts. Of that total, 76 (roughly 85%) were reports of successful upgrades, often accompanied by expressions of amazement that the process was so easy.

The remaining 13 messages reported that the upgrade failed.

Two were trying unsupported upgrade scenarios. One was attempting to upgrade a PC running Windows 7 Enterprise (the free upgrade offer is only for Home and Pro editions). The other had reinstalled Windows 7 prior to doing the upgrade but had forgotten to activate the new Windows installation first (the free upgrade offer requires that the underlying copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 be properly activated).

Five readers told me they had been unable to upgrade because the Windows Setup program failed with an error message like "0x80070011, The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation." Those errors are tough to diagnose remotely, but can be caused by something as simple as a corrupted setup file. Those errors are unrelated to the underlying license.

Another six correspondents reported that they were blocked from performing the upgrade by a different error message, typically starting with "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10."

Those messages represent compatibility blocks, which Microsoft introduced earlier this year with the May 2019 (version 1903) release. If you can track down the hardware driver or software app that's causing the block, you can usually get past this roadblock.

One reader succeeded after we exchanged some emails and determined that he needed to update the firmware on his 2014 HP PC. In other cases the culprit is an older program that contains incompatible system-level code, such as an antivirus program or DVD writing software. Uninstalling the offending app typically allows the upgrade to succeed.

Try this If your update is blocked

If you encounter a compatibility block, the first thing to do is check for a BIOS or firmware update. That's especially true on a PC that was designed before the release of Windows 10 in 2015. You should also check with the PC manufacturer to see if there are updated drivers for storage controllers, network adapters, display adapters, and other important hardware devices. As a precaution, disconnect all non-essential external devices before trying again.

You might be able to use the SetupDiag tool to examine the log files after a failed upgrade to determine the cause of the failure. For details, see my "Windows 10 tip: Use setup log files to troubleshoot installation problems." Chris Hoffman at How-To Geek has also written an excellent summary of troubleshooting techniques: "How to Fix 'What Needs Your Attention' Windows 10 Setup Errors."

With those exceptions aside, the conclusion is inescapable. Although Microsoft officially ended its free upgrade offer in mid-2016, one year after the initial release of Windows 10, it continues to make the upgrade free (and painless) for its retail customers running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Why is Microsoft doing this? And is there a catch?

The answer to that first question is easy. Remember, Microsoft's Windows business is predicated on its partnership with PC makers, who pay a license fee for every copy of Windows they install on a new PC. Those OEMs are none too happy about the idea of extending the life of an older PC; they would much rather have you buy a brand new PC instead.

Source

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can enter youre windows 7 or higher serial to activate windows 10

You can use your windows 7 or higher license code to activate windows 10

sorry for the bad english (dutch guy from Belgium)

it will still work.

Im still upgrading 3 PC's a week to Windows 10...havent ever had a failure yet

No tricks needed here, just download the latest ISO form Microsoft and mount it in Windows 7 via ImDisk (or use Media Creator from Microsoft and create the USB media)and follow the usual upgrade steps...easy peasy

Its not in their interests to turn the free upgrade off....

6 hours ago, notapowermadmod said:

Its not in their interests to turn the free upgrade off....

Indeed. More beta testers are always needed... :P

19 hours ago, notapowermadmod said:

No tricks needed here, just download the latest ISO form Microsoft and mount it in Windows 7 via ImDisk (or use Media Creator from Microsoft and create the USB media)and follow the usual upgrade steps...easy peasy

That's basically what  the 1st post  is telling you to do  is use the Media Creator from Microsoft.  Still if you have anything incompatible on your system  that Microsoft has blocked software or drivers  it's going to block your install .   You don't need to be digging around looking for a old windows 7 or 8.1 key to  activate windows 10 .  The only thing they  changed was the fact they no longer offer GWX  witch i never used no way i always just used a Windows 10 DVD  and started it up in windows 7 and 8.1  to do mine .

Witch none of my computers  have Windows 10  in over a year when  i needed to dig out my keys was when i put Windows 8.1 on it after i got tired of problems with Windows 10 not playing nice . I don't really recommend using Windows 10 with older PCs  because some of the bugs in Windows 10 come from old drivers and some Old PC drivers have no updates . Last time I checked my AMD PC witch just has Linux on it now  the Windows 10 graphics drivers had not been updated since 2015 when TH2 came out .

Performance  Bugs is not the only reason not to be using Windows and just be using Linux instead on Old Hardware,  there is  known Security Vulnerabilities   Screwed Drivers in Windows  from using out of date drivers in Windows and it's being exploited  in the wild . The problem with  OEMs not being  happy with you using old PCs with Windows they only have closed source drivers and they dropped driver support on old PCs, now ugly windows exploits are rearing there head,  were on Linux AMD and Intel your graphics drivers get updates in the  kernel  and are open source and you get firmware updates as well for your GPU  on auto updates  . So any drivers you need  have updates on Linux were on Windows this simply is not the case .

You can try and use 3rd party driver update software on Windows but  if your vendors have dropped support chances are these driver softwares are going to give you the wrong  driver and you want be able to boot up if you install it and will need to reinstall Windows. So you have to be  very careful with drivers you install on old hardware.

Because it will give drivers for newer hardware than what you have,  those programs are not noob proof.  Also Windows updates are known to send the wrong drivers when the 1st release of Windows 10 came out TH1 they gave me bad graphics drivers on my AMD PC and i  had to remove them with DDU and block driver updates and  use beta drivers i had found . They fixed it in TH2  and never updated the drivers since. They still never fixed it on Windows 8.1 it still it gives you the wrong AMD graphics drivers so you have your choice to use ether old stable  or beta ones from 2015  instead , you want have hardware acceleration with the ones from Windows updates in Windows 8.1.

The only way they will ever fix windows is if they get rid  of the bug ridden NT kernel and replace it with the Linux  kernel like Android uses so they can benefit from Open Source  drivers  and they may do it it some day if they ever want bug free updates and be able to sell windows as a service to everyone they going have to make major changes to windows were  they have less problems with updates . A lot of people use rolling releases on Linux with bleeding edge updates with very little troubles  but on Windows  new features  and updates have just caused a big mess.

They so much caveats from using old hardware with Windows it makes Linux the better choice  on cards that no longer get driver updates, That just one reason of out a 100 of why i just use Linux that not getting into other facts , like  privacy aspect of  using Windows 10 ,  beta untested updates ,  bloatware , needing to buy more ram ,etc. :hehe:

2 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

" The NT kernel is still much better than Linux in some ways"

Not for Microsoft is aiming for today it's not with  convergence

https://blogs.partner.microsoft.com/mpn/346584-2/

You can use compatibility layers to make windows apps run on Linux but in order for Microsoft to make Linux apps to run right on Windows they had to make a real Linux kernel .  Since Microsoft own the source code to Win 32  they could make all there stuff run on Linux if they want .  React OS  that what  has been holding it back for years is they dont have the source code of windows and they have to careful not break any patients.  Look at all the android apps Google has also the Chinese  have there own  app system not Google  for android  and it runs on Linux . the sky is the limit  on Linux .

Windows 10 has a lot of Linux  features already and  the version in insiders today has real Linux in it.

https://itsfoss.com/windows-10-inspired-linux/

Samsung has got Linux Desktop running just fine on a smartphone  with Linux on Dex  that was something Microsoft was wanting  to do with Windows and failed . If they want smartphone convergence they going have to use Linux Because nobody used Windows phones. Most people on there cloud uses Linux  and the reason Google have so many apps on android is they pay Microsoft lots of money for use of there patients.

One downside to Win32 in the NT kernel  itself is the fact it can't be edited for the sake of backward  compatibly so its code is based on 1990s technology , while with compatibility layers on Linux  old windows programs run best even old Windows programs that want run in Windows 10 will run in wine or crossover on Linux..

Linux use to not have no backward compatibly for native apps but all that changed apps that are snap , flatpac and appimage have backward compatibly.

Notapowermad... seems to be one of Windows 10's few defenders. I hated it from the beginning, although I hated it a little less after I installed StartIsBack, Then my computer became a paperweight because I tried to do a system restore...couldn't repair it, couldn't reinstall, couldn't do anything. That was the last straw. I have 7 on two of my computers, XP (which I much prefer) on two. Nothing could induce me to go back to 10.

3 hours ago, Conley Powell said:

Then my computer became a paperweight because I tried to do a system restore...couldn't repair it, couldn't reinstall, couldn't do anything

Oh there is quite a few Windows 10 defenders we call them  fanboys , Windows 10 forum is full of them  that's were they go to congregate .Even Ed Bott  that wrote the op in this  topic is a Windows 10 defender. It's nothing new the same people who run Windows 10 forums  were Windows Vista  and Windows 8.1 defenders too, so was Ed Bott . And if Microsoft release something new they will  open a new forum and defend it too that's how you can tell there fake they defended it regardless  if it was successful or not,  that's not to say they was not helpful  they helped lots of people  out with Windows   But as soon as you go to other forums  like reddit's Windows 10 sub, Twitter , ARS  and other sites you see lots of people like yourself complaining about Windows fanboys  and Windows 10.

The reason your restore  didn't work was most likely the fact they removed registry backups  starting with Windows 10, version 1803.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-says-disabled-registry-backups-is-a-windows-10-feature/

You  have to use 3rd party software such as this

https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

Or try turning it back on in the registry

Windows 10 users can change the new default behavior to force the system to start creating registry backups automatically by configuring a new  REG_DWORD registry entry at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Configuration Manager\EnablePeriodicBackup and assigning it a value of 1.

The only caveat with editing the registry windows 10 updates are bad about reversing your changes . If you couldn't clean install Windows you have other hardware problems besides Windows 10.  When all else failed for me a clean install always worked  expect for the time my hard drive went out and as soon as i replaced it it worked again.

The computer was almost new. It certainly should not have any software problems, and I had seen no sign of any. As for using third-party software to get it working again, safe mode doesn't work.

Archived