How can i reduce Image Size Without Losing Quality ?

Ubiaquitrian

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/16/2019 at 11:46 PM, FamguyFan said:

RIOT has an easy to use interface to compare the original with the optimized image in real time and instantly see the resulting file size. The image optimizer is lightweight, fast and simple to use, yet powerful for advanced users.

https://riot-optimizer.com/

Wow this is nice. I just tested this on my T Shirt Design Mock Up. and here's the result

70VCjYx.jpg

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, TrojanK said:

How to do this?

XnViewMP can do that, simply save/export as Webp. Did not check other image/converter apps that can likely do that too.

There is also a Webp plugin for irfanview.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:15 AM, Ubiaquitrian said:

How can i reduce Image Size Without Losing Quality ?

At least as long as the law on the preservation/conservation of material is still in place, it is not possible.

In addition, the relationship between size and quality is irreversible. This means you will never get better quality than the original. Zooming in will not improve the quality. What you see always seems worse. If you make it smaller, you will always lose quality. Whenever you change anything, always keep the original. Otherwise, you will not be able to retrieve it back later in any way.

Therefore - any changes what You do, always manifested as a quality loss and these changes are irreversible.

But sometimes the lower quality picture looks better than original. But it is only apparent/seeming, not real.

So. Do what you want or do what ever You do, but if this image is important to you, always keep the original.

36 minutes ago, Kalju said:

if this image is important to you, always keep the original

+1000 for that! Keep it and backup it.

On the other hand let's not forget the lossless compression formats allowing the original data to be perfectly reconstructed from the compressed data.

• 4 weeks later...

As already mentioned in the previous posts, in most cases the size(in bytes) of the image is directly proportional to its quality. Once you reduce the size, the quality will degrade. To what level that you have to decide. Find the correct balance and convert into any format, there are tools that can keep the format but change the quality to reduce the size. Gimp, irfanview, xnviewmp, paint.net are some freely available tools that you can use. Do keep backup if the image you are manipulating is needed in original quality for future use. 

2 hours ago, Lacius said:

The most efficient image format is BPG, but it's not widely supported yet. Here is a visual comparison with included file sizes.

The only difference with .jpg - visually the same quality, but compressed about 1% more.
I do not see any significant advantage here, not even for web pages with huge images.

10 hours ago, Kalju said:

The only difference with .jpg - visually the same quality, but compressed about 1% more.
I do not see any significant advantage here, not even for web pages with huge images.

With BPG, you get pretty much the same quality as a JPG at about 50% the file size, not 99%. I suggest playing around with the visualization tool I linked to above.

• 3 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 9:16 PM, FamguyFan said:

RIOT has an easy to use interface to compare the original with the optimized image in real time and instantly see the resulting file size. The image optimizer is lightweight, fast and simple to use, yet powerful for advanced users.

https://riot-optimizer.com/

Wow Nice tool

Archived