Jump to content
T3rM1nat0Rr3

Sandboxie 5.31.4

Recommended Posts

0veR

This app is free now and its going to be open source soon :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankl1n
39 minutes ago, 0veR said:

This app is free now and its going to be open source soon :D

Quote

In reply to Name Redacted:

All of you who think that Sandboxie goes open source are good news have considered who is going to continue developing it?

I doubt any Sophos team will do any work on it. If that happens... then what?

Do you know the abilities required to update a tool like Sandboxie? Do you think any average coder will be able to keep it up to date when a Windows update breaks something or a software stops working sandboxed?

Guys able to do such work earn lot of money and I doubt (I hope I'm wrong) anyone will want to do it for free.

So this announcement is, and again I hope to be wrong, the end of Sandboxie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jamesDDI
2 minutes ago, frankl1n said:

....the end of Sandboxie.

 

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nanana1
3 hours ago, frankl1n said:

 

 

This decision to make Sandboxie freeware is an ominous signal of the end of development of Sandboxie for paid users like myself.

 

Oh well, the ride was good and soon to be just sweet memories 😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nastrahl
10 hours ago, frankl1n said:

Guys able to do such work earn lot of money and I doubt (I hope I'm wrong) anyone will want to do it for free.

 

People code an entire operating system and guess what, a lot more told themselves that they could too and now there's more than hundreds, and for free.

 

Thousands of other devs that don't touch the kernel continues to supports theirs apps even with its continuous updates so don't lose hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pete 12

A question to the users of this program ; is it possible to reboot in Sandbox-mode , so after reboot still in Sandbox , or do you lose all changes after rebooting.........???     :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nanana1
1 hour ago, Pete 12 said:

A question to the users of this program ; is it possible to reboot in Sandbox-mode , so after reboot still in Sandbox , or do you lose all changes after rebooting.........???     :rolleyes:

 

Not possible to reboot in Sandbox mod and you lose all changes after reboot

Edited by nanana1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pete 12

OK , so no use , will keep using Shadow Defender .........easy and reliable , also not bloated ! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankl1n
9 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

A question to the users of this program ; is it possible to reboot in Sandbox-mode , so after reboot still in Sandbox , or do you lose all changes after rebooting.........???     :rolleyes:

 

8 hours ago, nanana1 said:

 

Not possible to reboot in Sandbox mod and you lose all changes after reboot

 

8 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

OK , so no use , will keep using Shadow Defender .........easy and reliable , also not bloated ! :rolleyes:

Shadow Defender has no option to reboot and save HDD structure, nor settings whats so ever. so wrong info my friend. SD and SBie same + no save from reboot...sorry.

 

also where is SBie bloated, ??? I see no bloat.

 

Dont mistake my retort for lack of respect for Shadow Defender. I use both SD and SBIE depending on the situation at hand, biut facts are facts. :)

Edited by frankl1n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pete 12

"  Shadow Defender has no option to reboot and save HDD structure "...........thats why its safe to use !  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nanana1
13 hours ago, nanana1 said:

 

Not possible to reboot in Sandbox mod and you lose all changes after reboot

 

13 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

OK , so no use , will keep using Shadow Defender .........easy and reliable , also not bloated ! :rolleyes:

 

Actually you can choose not to delete the sandboxes and the changes you made will survive after a reboot and when you are done with the changes you just delete the sandboxes and the software will be the same as when you first launched it in the sandboxes, something that Shadow Defender is not capable of. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Knightmare

I'm a little upset that I paid for a lifetime license on this. It was a good program to have if using a questionable program or an alternate browser, but I think I'm going to uninstall it and just use the Windows Sandbox feature instead, since my real concern is using a sandbox during the install process. Sandboxie didn't allow me to run a program installer in the sandbox environment; I had to install the questionable program on my system first, then run it in a sandbox environment. I wasn't okay with doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankl1n
On 9/13/2019 at 2:15 PM, Knightmare said:

Sandboxie didn't allow me to run a program installer in the sandbox environment; I had to install the questionable program on my system first, then run it in a sandbox environment.

This is simply not true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mymiabear

 

On 9/13/2019 at 11:15 AM, Knightmare said:

I'm a little upset that I paid for a lifetime license on this. It was a good program to have if using a questionable program or an alternate browser, but I think I'm going to uninstall it and just use the Windows Sandbox feature instead, since my real concern is using a sandbox during the install process. Sandboxie didn't allow me to run a program installer in the sandbox environment; I had to install the questionable program on my system first, then run it in a sandbox environment. I wasn't okay with doing that.

I understand. I bought a lifetime license too, but I got SO much use out of it, it paid for itself 10,000 times.

 

 

 

On 9/15/2019 at 10:07 AM, frankl1n said:

This is simply not true.

 

Sometimes it's true.  Also, sometimes you have to drag the file into the sandbox for it to run. Sometimes, you have to test in Virtualmachine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
funkyy

I had never used Sandboxie before but I tried v.5.31.4 for the last week. Then today when launching the sandboxed browser (Firefox 69.01) I get the error message

"Error Platform version is not compatible with

minVersion>=69.0

maxVersion>=69.0"

I'm guessing this has something to do with Firefox 69.01 that is now the current version. If so it doesn't bode well for the future use of Sandboxie.

I'm going to try GlacialMan's portable version in his post above.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankl1n
4 hours ago, funkyy said:

I had never used Sandboxie before but I tried v.5.31.4 for the last week. Then today when launching the sandboxed browser (Firefox 69.01) I get the error message

"Error Platform version is not compatible with

minVersion>=69.0

maxVersion>=69.0"

I'm guessing this has something to do with Firefox 69.01 that is now the current version.

Sorry m8 but no issues here

On 9/17/2019 at 3:35 AM, mymiabear said:

Also, sometimes you have to drag the file into the sandbox for it to run.

Ive never had this issue...ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlacialMan

@funkyy Can you test Firefox, on both versions of Sandboxie (installed and Portable), also on another PC and report the results? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
funkyy
On 9/20/2019 at 2:48 AM, GlacialMan said:

@funkyy Can you test Firefox, on both versions of Sandboxie (installed and Portable), also on another PC and report the results? Thanks

Hello GlacialMan...I just read your post now (23 hours after you posted). I don't have access to another PC unfortunately, but I have the portable version that you posted above and it seems to be working fine...at least I'm not getting the error that appeared when I was using the installed version. I'm a first time user of Sandboxie so I haven't fully explored its ins and outs. But with the portable version I sandboxed my browser (Firefox 69.01) and it worked fine. If I come across any strange behaviour or error messages I'll let you know.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

I forgot to mention that with the installed version it gives you a "Sandboxed browser" icon...but with the portable version it just gives a general yellow Sandboxie icon on the desktop...and so you have to right click the icon in the task bar, go into "default box", and then select "run web browser". It's not a big deal, but having a "sandboxed browser" icon on the desktop was handy in the installed version.

sshot-2.png

sshot-3.png

Edited by funkyy
updated info----added screenshot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...