[Solved] whats a good HDD cloning software?

wozzzzza

im trying to clone a hdd to a larger one as ive run out of room on it, its not the OS drive just a slave drive.

ive tried macrium reflect and it jsut fails, ive tried minitool partition wizard and it fails, ove tried one other one i cant remember and it failed as well.

anyone got any good ones? probably need to be a bootable one and not clone it in windows.

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd that all cloners are failing.

Sounds like there may be a problem with one or both drives that none of the cloners can handle.

Get any error messages when the cloning fails? May be worth running a disk check utility on the old drive.

If all fails (excuse the pun), given that you’re cloning a slave drive, drag and drop?

1 hour ago, Karlston said:

Odd that all cloners are failing.

Sounds like there may be a problem with one or both drives that none of the cloners can handle.

Get any error messages when the cloning fails? May be worth running a disk check utility on the old drive.

If all fails (excuse the pun), given that you’re cloning a slave drive, drag and drop?

Agreed.

@wozzzzza: You might also want to try TeraCopy.

5 hours ago, wozzzzza said:

macrium reflect and it jsut fails, ive tried minitool partition wizard and it fails, ove tried one other one i cant remember and it failed as well.

when you say it fails do you mean that the clone program just doesnt finish up, it justs sits there and does not progress also not giving error msg? If so prolly got bad sectors on HDD, read errors most times will behave like this when trying to clone.

MiniTool Partition Wizard

Cloned many hdd's , with out any error. Plus also migrated win 10 flawlessly.

I'd be looking at why you are getting failures rather than the software.

The most common reason is a VSS issue.

There are standalone tools to repair VSS, but I reckon the simplest way is to use Macrium Reflect's built-in VSS Repair Tool via Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems.

9 hours ago, wozzzzza said:

havent heard of that for many years, used to use it all the time 10 years ago, will look into it.

you only need this file GIF.zip

You can use it with any WinPE

6 hours ago, frankl1n said:

when you say it fails do you mean that the clone program just doesnt finish up, it justs sits there and does not progress also not giving error msg? If so prolly got bad sectors on HDD, read errors most times will behave like this when trying to clone.

fails out at the beginning before it even reaches 1%

8 hours ago, Karlston said:

i have run a chkdsk on both drives and all passed without a single error.

11 hours ago, SiNAN said:

did you try  Ghost ?

had a look at ghost again as i have used that 10+ years ago all the time without fail, created a bootdisc and set it going, it finished in about 10 hours and worked perfectly.

thanks for the help everyone, but got it all going in the end with the ghost.

A good example of nsane members helping each other. Well done all!

Topic marked as solved.

Archived