What fills up the "C:\" drive ?

nsan3

Hi all,

I have always pondered on the question, "What fills up the "C:\" drive ?"

Now I do know that the System Restore fills up space & the AV updates its database.

But apart from these things , what else does write to the "C:\" drive ?

Guys n' gals, please feel free and give me your valuable thoughts on the same.

TIA

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Hi all,

I have always pondered on the question, "What fills up the C:\ drive ?"

Now I do know that the System Restore fills up space & the AV updates its database.

But apart from these things , what else does write to the C:\ drive ?

TIA

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-storage-sense-free-space-automatically-windows-10-fall-creators-update

Such a folder may be made by different programs, but there is no matter what it is. Usually, this is a temporary folder for uncompressing drivers before installing or before editing them.
There may be also different but similar names like C:\mydrive, name related to computer producer for example C:\dell etc.
No matter, what it is, one thing is important, though - the address is not C:\ drive but C:\drive, and it matters.

An address like this one You wrote is never there. Try to be accurate in such things. This is not a letter to a mother-in-law.

temp storage for most apps

temp storage for windows updates.. 3sp if you migrated from an old os... th3 old os is still present 

download directory for your browsers.. 

be also mindful of the number of apps and games you install on your pc

it use to save your registry  as well tell they removed it in Windows 10, version 1803. so if something goes really wrong  your just sol unless you back it up with something else.🤣 https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-says-disabled-registry-backups-is-a-windows-10-feature/

Registry Backup is a free backup tool that will use the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service to backup your system registry.

https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

1 hour ago, nsan3 said:

I have always pondered on the question, "What fills up the C:\ drive ?"

Software.

4 minutes ago, GRiM said:

Install FolderSizes.  It's excellent and showing you a complete rundown of your drive and all folder/file sizes etc.

Have TreeSize for that but thanks anyways.

7 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

@Kalju Ahhh got it, really understood what you meant. Thank you.

Good. You can delete this if You're sure, You don't need it any more, but if You don't need this space for something other, let it stay there. 
You even may want it backup, because there are stored most likely drivers, what are used in Your computer. As already was mentioned, these are or backups or unpacked there before installing. So, You may need them in future.

The main culprit is Windows itself, it takes up most of the space and a lot of it is junk. If you don't want some Windows service, apps and things like that you won't be able to remove them.

Word pad is such an example.

@nsan3 Now when you've changed the title, the situation is quite different.
The reason why the drive where Windows is located is getting full depends on the software you use and how you clean your computer. It's just the job of the computer owner/user, because Windows doesn't do much cleaning itself. Cleans only if you have set up auto cleaning in settings. It's here
1. Open Settings
2. Go to System => Storage
3. there you will see how much you have stored and you can choose what to delete
4. It is recommended to check how often unnecessary and / or old files are deleted
5. Open Configure Storage Sense or run it now (choose what to delete and delete if necessary)
But this is not the only one because there is always a backup when something is updated, so you should regularly delete outdated backup files, outdated temp files that are only used once but never automatically deleted, etc.
In addition, your computer may have been outdated by Shadow Copies, This usually happens if you do not perform a clean installation for a long time, but use Windows Update to install a newer version.
And there are still many things to delete, but it is different for each user and depends on what software and how much is used.
After any cummulative update Windows makes bakup and it may be some gigabytes at every time, the same is with any kind of defenders and antiviruses, their old databases may be very large.
Also any webbrowser downloads many junk always if You surf in web, if You dont delete this junk, it stays in Your computer, browsers will work slower and slower...etc.
There is very much what You should clean not in every day, but in every hour.

While there are a number of reasons why the system partition gets filled-up, the single most is Windows Update.

The biggest culprit is Office (Windows Update) and the second biggest culprit is Windows (Windows Update) — on every Patch Tuesday, you'll find at least 1 GB of Windows Update . . . . begging to find a new home in your system partition.

12 hours ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

Get SpaceSniffer at http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/ and you'll exactly see which directories take up most space in relation to all the other directories on the drive allowing you to quickly spot excessive forgotten temp files, error reports dumps etc.

I have TreeSize for that, but appreciate the update.

Clean the temporary folder

1- Open Run

2- Type %temp% and hit Enter

3- Delete the files and folders inside

**These tips may help! 

Open Start Menu > Settings > System settings.

Next, click on Storage in the left pane.

Scroll down a bit and find Change where new content is saved.

change default save location

Click on it to open the following panel.

Change default Save location in Windows 10

Here you will see New documents will save to setting – and similar settings for Music, Pictures & Videos.

Select the location from the drop-down menu.

Thus you can set different Save locations for different types of files.

If you are suffering from low space issues after upgrading, you can use this technique to move Documents and other personal folders from the default system drive to another drive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Here is a useful one. Move where the Documents folder is located. You can do this with the Downloads folder too by the way.

How to move user profile folders like Documents, Pictures, Music etc

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the special folder you wish to move located in C:\Users\<username>.
Right-click on the folder and select Properties.
Open Location tab and enter the desired new path. Click Move. It will open explorer dialog box. navigate to and select desired new location.
Or else manually enter the path.
Click Apply/OK.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

**I kind of borrowed those from a bing search. Microsoft wasn't so much help... and i been awake all night in pain so my writing wouldn't have been very organised.

**Anyway, those are great tips for saving space! I used to always relocate the Documents, Pictures and Downloads directories when I installed Windows. They had a separate hard drive, "D:/"!  And then I had FREEDOM!

😎

😮

• 2 weeks later...
totolharicot

The only thing that fills up your drive "invisibly" is search indexing, I found it can litteraly eat your drive space, if you index too many files.

ps: if you really are running out of space,  appart relocating users folders, you can compress drive ( with huffman compression) and gain some space using hardlinks (replacing duplicates with hardlink).
DiSM++ does that well.

• 8 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 4:27 AM, nsan3 said:

Hi all,

I have always pondered on the question, "What fills up the "C:\" drive ?"

Now I do know that the System Restore fills up space & the AV updates its database.

But apart from these things , what else does write to the "C:\" drive ?

TIA

WinSxS folder. mine is 6.59 GB, which cant be moved.

Archived