software advice for converting video files from x264 to x265

khatulistiwa

khatulistiwa

like the one in the title, so I need help finding what software is for converting videos from the x264 format to the x265 format.

I hope to find the name of the software here, and if possible, software that has been personally tested or software that is considered the best in this field.
thank you for your help.

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you want to do this? If it's to save space, is it worth the quality loss? And if you want the best possible conversion, the x256 is going to be larger than the original x264.

not worth it.. any x265 conversion takes too long and the and the space savings aren't that big.. cheaper to get more storage devices.. 

Ive tried this lately and the results are great, at up to a quarter of the original file size! With no visible quality loss! I'd say it is worth it, it just depends on what files you use it for and the settings you try.

My advice is to use Handbrake. Simply, open an x264 file and then load the preset for 1080p or 720p depending in your original file resolution, then go to the video section and change the codec to h265 instead of h264. Then under rf change it to 20. Under the speed of encoding set it to very slow.

Be prepared for this to be encoding overnight and the next day also! My pc is on 24/7 so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

When it is done you will see the file size and quality. If it isn't great then you can tweak the compression number. It is best to always use Very Slow speed as it gets the best result in quality.

I have found that for any older SD stuff it is amazing how small it can make the files! And for a lot of 1080 movies they have gone from perhaps 3-5gb to 850mb-1.5gb.

Your mileage may vary.

Any questions let me know and I will help.

This guide is near what I do:

https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/free-convert-x265-to-x264-handbrake.htm

• 1 month later...

Use Handbrake, is open source, easy to use.

If you have any intel gen8 CPU, or any envidia GTX or newer video card, you can use hardware accelaration to h264/h265 encode/decode.

• Administrator

Unlike others, I would suggest this instead. It's because it has more options and finer control. As mentioned already, H.265 is really slow to convert to, so always make sure to use hardware acceleration in the software or like the software I mentioned, use graphics card's encoder for H.265 instead. It's in the video converting option, search for it.

One more thing, I have found that the claim of video file reducing to half not so true with it. Half the bitrate's quality is something I have found not so exact or similar. So try to aim for 75% of the original quality with it.

thank you very much for your answers, can not reply one by one.
yes, after I understand more about x265, I have a few points of conclusion
- There is no difference in the size of the file size either formatted x264 or x265
- everything about x265 is only about compress quality, not size

example x264 with 2000 bitrate in a 1gb file size
- when converted to x265 with 2000 bitrate it will still produce a file size of 1GB
- when converted to x265 with 1000 bitrate compared to convert to x264 with 1000 bitrate too, it still produces the same file size, but this is where the superiority of x265, compress quality is better than x264, when x264 is compressed to a smaller bitrate, then the quality the video will start to crack, but x265 will still be smooth.

so the conclusion that I took
- all kinds of x265 videos available on sites with smaller file sizes, it's because of a decrease in bitrate than x264, not because of the ability of x265 to compress file sizes (this is what I first thought when I saw the difference in size between x264 and x265, now I awakened by the truth, lol)
- as good as any x265 in video compression, still if the bitrate is lower, there is still better quality of x264 with a higher bitrate (after trying to compare the results of convert x265 with x264 with higher beritrate, the color quality in x265 is slightly lower)
- not worth the long time to convert with the results obtained if the converted x264 file has a standard bitrate (2000 - 1500) then convert to a lower bitrate (<1000), but if the 8000 file bitrate is then converted to 1500, it is recommended using x265

• Administrator
On 9/11/2019 at 5:25 AM, khatulistiwa said:

thank you very much for your answers, can not reply one by one.
yes, after I understand more about x265, I have a few points of conclusion
- There is no difference in the size of the file size either formatted x264 or x265
- everything about x265 is only about compress quality, not size

example x264 with 2000 bitrate in a 1gb file size
- when converted to x265 with 2000 bitrate it will still produce a file size of 1GB
- when converted to x265 with 1000 bitrate compared to convert to x264 with 1000 bitrate too, it still produces the same file size, but this is where the superiority of x265, compress quality is better than x264, when x264 is compressed to a smaller bitrate, then the quality the video will start to crack, but x265 will still be smooth.

so the conclusion that I took
- all kinds of x265 videos available on sites with smaller file sizes, it's because of a decrease in bitrate than x264, not because of the ability of x265 to compress file sizes (this is what I first thought when I saw the difference in size between x264 and x265, now I awakened by the truth, lol)
- as good as any x265 in video compression, still if the bitrate is lower, there is still better quality of x264 with a higher bitrate (after trying to compare the results of convert x265 with x264 with higher beritrate, the color quality in x265 is slightly lower)
- not worth the long time to convert with the results obtained if the converted x264 file has a standard bitrate (2000 - 1500) then convert to a lower bitrate (<1000), but if the 8000 file bitrate is then converted to 1500, it is recommended using x265

I do not think you are right there. Size changes a lot with bit rate. If a video of 10MB with H.264 with 2000 bit rate be converted to H.265 with 1000 bit rate, it will become 5MB and not remain 10MB. That is what bit rates are all about, the video rate and size. Newer codecs provide same quality at lesser bit rate required.

Also, any conversion of video will bring some cut in original quality. It's also of no use to convert H.264 to H.265 of same bit rate as it will not improve the quality of the original video. Converting video is only for having similar quality at lesser bit rate and hence at smaller size.

What I personally feel that converting to 2000 bits of H.264 to to 1000 bits of H.265 is not giving great results so the aim of the 2000 H.264 should be of 1500 bits of H.265 instead of 1000 bits there.

compressing from loseless source is the best... bluray disk to x264 or x264.. 

expect loses in quality if its alossy to lossy conversion.. eg x264 to x265 or vice versa..  

Archived