Windows 10, three years later: Why this is as good as it gets

steven36

By James Sanders

Based on Microsoft's own track record, there's a certain statistic "sweet spot" for Windows releases, and the May 2019 update appears to be it.

https://s7d5.turboimg.net/sp/c2b792dda8bf9637a23a3a73ac1c4f3a/45fe.jpg

For experienced IT veterans—and PC enthusiasts—there is a common wisdom about the latency between when a version of Windows is released, and when those releases become reliable. Windows XP is the primary example of this, as the original release of XP lacked a variety of important security protections—a rebuilt firewall enabled by default, support for NX bit, and finally disabling the Windows Messenger service abused by spammers, were added in Service Pack 2, three years and a day after XP was first released.

This release works in either direction: Windows NT 4 had a partially broken implementation of Plug and Play, a largely broken DirectX implementation, and no official USB support, problems that would not be fixed until the release of Windows 2000, three years and four months later. Likewise, Windows Vista was a mess on release, due in large part to third-party driver compatibility issues resulting in instability, and Microsoft's entirely unrealistic concept of "Vista Capable," setting the minimum hardware requirements far lower than the resources Vista needed to have a pleasant experience. Windows 7 released to accolades from the press two years and eight months later.

And so, that leaves us with our present circumstances with Windows 10. Roughly seven weeks ago—on May 21—Version 1903 (or 19H1), otherwise known as the May 2019 Update, was released. This marks three years, nine months, and 22 days since the initial release of Windows 10. Reception has been politely positive, though problems with the launch have prompted Microsoft to require users to remove USB storage devices or SD cards before upgrading; likewise, the update was blocked on the Surface Book 2 because a driver problem renders it incapable of seeing the NVIDIA GPU in the base of the high-end model. 

Microsoft's persistent difficulties writing drivers for their own hardware is embarrassing, but overall the rollout of Windows 10 1903 is comparatively problem-free compared to the version that came before it, which saw reports of data loss on upgrade, data loss when handling ZIP files, wrong CPU usage reporting, breaking audio drivers, and an HP keyboard driver that caused BSODs. These issues prompted Microsoft to stop distribution of Version 1809 for weeks for additional fixes, re-releasing it in mid-November 2018. 

Call it data or anecdote, but this is as good as it gets

Microsoft's decision to lay off 18,000 employees in 2014—largely including software testers—has undoubtedly left Windows worse off. The proliferation of high-profile issues with subsequent releases of Windows 10 bears that out. Microsoft has shown no sign of backing away from its biannual release cadence, though the abundantly cautious rollout of Windows 10 1903 demonstrates that they have learned something from the debacle six months prior.

That said, Windows 10 1903—by its own merits—actually fixes significant usability problems, particularly for the concurrent use of DPI-aware and legacy applications, and the simultaneous use of displays with different DPI values. It's as solid and drama-free of a release that a commercial product with hundreds of millions of users is ever likely to experience, even if that release is still subject to some unresolved bugs on launch.

That is explicitly not to say that Microsoft's telemetry policies are less controversial or better explained than when Windows 10 was released. Microsoft's continually poor ability to communicate what is being collected still raises ire. It's not meaningfully different from the data collected by Google, and Android is as much as monopoly in mobile as Windows is on the desktop, but Microsoft continues to face more negativity about it. Despite Microsoft's (now sanctimonious) privacy-focused "Scroogled" campaign, the company is not going to change course on telemetry at this juncture.

Given the positioning of Windows 10 as being essentially the last version of Windows (similar to the way Mac OS X has been around since 2001), it is potentially unwise to declare this exact point in time "as good as it gets." Microsoft's track record is likely to back up this claim, though—at best, Microsoft can deliver iterative changes on top of Windows 10, but the biannual release cadence does not lend itself to massive changes, and further iterative changes are not going to convince the skeptics. If you don't like Windows 10 now, you're not going to like it in the future.

Ultimately, attention is fleeting. Something will replace Windows 10, and the cycle will begin again. Years from now, we'll all be back here debating the merits of Windows One or Windows 365, because Microsoft's track record for names is what it is.

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But hes wrong Windows 7 got better SP1  was a bunch  of hotfixes  and security updates  that  was out already , years worth of bug fixes , So if you had all the updates from years it was just as stable as Windows 7 sp1. Windows 7 never really got no new features   in 10 years tell this day they never fixed the problem with needing 3rd party drivers for wifi  were Windows 8.1 and 10 ,Linux work out the box now.  I was a Windows XP  user before SP2  it was a  security mess  , but it ran fine it was just a catch a virus and reformat kind of deal .:lmao:

22 common Windows 7 problems solved

https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/22-common-windows-7-problems-solved-655655

The difference was  these Tech editors  were just coming off Vista witch was full of bugs  but if you had  a good system SP2 was not so bad .But us XP users we noticed the bugs and Windows 7  Windows 8  was way more tweakble than Windows 10 is. So we fixed our own bugs  .We didn't wait on a update like we do now you went over to The HOTFIX  forum and installed bug fixes and things and Tweaked Windows 7 and fixed them yourself . With Windows 10 that never been so upgrades kill every thing you done  . Windows 8.1  always more stable to me than Windows 7 SP 1 and Windows 8.1 got new some new features . Windows 7 has been problematic with Windows updates for years now .  And people on Windows 7 stop trusting there updates when Windows 10 came out because they try to force Windows 10 on them .

Microsoft messed with Windows 7 users all the time, 1st they send the Watt exploit on Windows updates  to kill pirates activation then latter on  they sent the Windows 10 exploit out on Windows 7 and 8.1,  And if you kept Windows 7 it was hard to update it took hours. And Windows 10 users are forced to upgrade that never was so on older Window. It didn't really matter if you upgraded to Windows 7SP1 or not  people were still  on Windows 7 in 2013 3 years after SP1 came out before M$ forced them to upgrade,  same as XP SP3 people waited years to update , all the bugs were not out of Windows XP with SP2 or they would they never would of made SP3. I was one the few users that even used SP3 when it 1st came out .I used windows 7 SP1 as soon as it came out many didn't. Now they jam upgrades and SP  down your throat on Windows 10 home and pro. What ever comes out after Windows 10 im not going be on it , It may be closed source Linux are something at the rate they going. :clap:

This may be "As good as it gets" with Win 10.....the problem for people who have it is "Is this as bad as it gets"?  To be continued....every patch Tuesday!!!!😀😀😀

15 minutes ago, funkyy said:

This ma be "As good as it gets" with Win 10.....the problem for people who have it is "Is this as bad as it gets"?  To be continued....every patch Tuesday!!!!😀😀😀

If this is good as it gets there doomed . I did updates for years and years on Windows 7 and then Windows 8.1 and it was not tell 2014 when they lay all them people off i really had any problems were i had to pull patches and wait on them fix it. They done ruin updates on Windows 7 and  Windows 8.1 too since there cumulative.  Most people didn't start turning off  updates on Windows 7 and 8.1 tell the Windows 10 exploit and them back porting there spyware  to older Windows. witch goes against wht they said . Windows always had spyware since The update to Windows 95.

How NSA access was built into Windows

https://www.heise.de/tp/features/How-NSA-access-was-built-into-Windows-3444341.html

It started with

ADVAPI.DLL works closely with Microsoft Internet Explorer, but will only run cryptographic functions that the US governments allows Microsoft to export.

well they claimed in windows 7 and 8.1 we supposed to be able opt out of it . XP didn't have no opt out even . But the new Windows updates will override that opt out.

Interesting article about the NSA key in win. It is however from 1999, any more recent one regarding how this agency (and others) are involved within win code?

Also wondering if this dll is used when 3rd party application, like veracrypt or browsers other than IE, are run.

1 hour ago, mp68terr said:

Interesting article about the NSA key in win. It is however from 1999, any more recent one regarding how this agency (and others) are involved within win code?

Also wondering if this dll is used when 3rd party application, like veracrypt or browsers other than IE, are run.

Microsoft is part of prism here a bunch stuff they Gave NSA

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

They weaken Bitlocker same kind of thing the Feds wanted apple to do

https://theintercept.com/2015/06/04/microsoft-disk-encryption/

Ether Microsoft or  Amazon  going win the Jedi Contract to store all the Pentagon data in the cloud .

Germany schools  just ban Office 365 out fear of  the US government  is spying on them. That not counting all the malware NSA has for Windows they most likely have the source code to it.

I'm not worried about NSA by law they  don't spouse be spying on people from the USA . If they spied  on me they broke the law so they would never admit it if they did. It's people not from USA needs to worry about them. I've used  lots of closed source software that the NSA compromised  over the years and they never bothered me  .They always been around  but they been on the internet really bad  every since the 1st year i came online, :P

Here  some more software they hacked i used

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/06/07/the-question-at-the-center-of-the-nsas-data-mining-program-what-the-heck-is-paltalk/

https://phys.org/news/2016-06-technology-terrorist.html

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/13/nsa-broke-the-encryption-on-file-sharing-apps-kazaa-and-edonkey/

That why they want to get rid encrypted chat programs  for years everything was really easy for them to tap into  . Still  is if your using prism software  and are not encrypting  what you do.  Still if they can kill all the closed source ones,  but people just switch to open source one.s.I don't  use closed source chat in years now.

Back years ago i did not care  about my privacy , all i cared about was partying  , I most likely got drunk and cussed  out the NSA back then. :rofl:

And remember guys...this is only the beginning!! We're in the infancy years of this technology.

For us it's an entertainment/communication dream, but for governments it's a spying/control dream.

I pity the generations that come after us...and they'll blame us for letting it happen to them.💀💀💀

Archived