Have you ever mistaken a singer's music for another one?

luisam

For years I had in my discography “Red Roses For A Blue Lady” by Bobby Vinton. At some moment I found a version of the same song by Vic Dana and somehow it reminded me too much to this other version I had. Checking, realized that actually were identical. Rechecking, concluded that Bobby Vinton never recorded a cover of Red Roses For A Blue Lady. And believe me, I really looked for it everywhere!  Probably the confusion came from some P2P download from Kazaa , Frostwire or some similar application.

Vic Dana's version of Red Roses For A Blue Lady peaked at #10 on the pop chart.

Funny, because Bobby Vinton had a fixation for songs about the color Blue. An interesting fact is that Blue Velvet was included in the album Blue on Blue because he needed one more track to fill with some song about “blue”. Blue Velvet covered by Bobby Vinton reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 on 21 September 1963.

One of the reasons of my initial doubt and confusion is Bobby Vinton’s first big hit is the song, titled Roses Are Red (My Love), The song was released in April 1962 and reached No. 1 in the US, Australia, New Zealand, Norway and South Africa.

By the way, another “mixup” I had with Bobby Vinton is “The Most Beutiful Girl”. At some moment I realized that the version I had, the original, is by Charlie Rich.

So, remembering my issue about "Red roses for a Blue Lady" now I had a reasonable doubt: is there a Bobby Vinton cover of "The Most Beautiful Girl"?  Well, there is! So, what is the difference between the Bobby Vinton cover with that of Charlie Rich? Soon I found it. The funny detail is that Bobby Vinton made a “small” change. While the original by Rich says:

Hey, did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world?
And if you did, was she crying, crying

Bobby Vinton sings

Hey, did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world?
And if you did, was she POLISH, POLISH…

Also, the rhytm is faster, reminds some kind of a “polka”… Why? It’s a small personal joke he made because of his Polish origin!

• Replies 4
  • Views 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeezo luisam, you're giving your age away!! I thought I was the only old fogey on Nsane!! The Charlie Rich song was a hit just when my "girlfriend" had gone back to her own country and I used to get teary-eyed when they played it on the radio. lol. Now she's my wife and I get teary-eyed without hearing that song!!🤣🤣🤣

17 minutes ago, sl0pth3p1g said:

I thought Eric Clapton sang it.

The ringtone in my phone is COCAINE. I always thought that it was by J.J. Cale. Then one day found out that it's a hit by Eric Clapton! So, ok, I said to myself, I made a mistake, it's by Clapton... then I found out, yes, my ringtone it's really by J.J. Cale! At some moment listened both versions and while the one by Clapton is technically better, the best for ringtone is the one by J.J.Cale: just listen how he repeats the initial riff 4 times while someone calls me!

On 7/16/2019 at 12:06 PM, Rainmaker said:

Surprised 'Suspicion' by Terry Stafford wasn't mentioned. Sounded just like Elvis.

//R

If there is no mention of credits probably listening Suspicion By Terry Stafford you might believe it's Elvis. Certainly he had an Elvis alike voice. It's a funny fact that Suspicion was actually recorded first by Elvis on an LP, in 1962 and no one payed it any attention. Probably not even Elvis! When Stafford's cover charted Top 1, the original version was released on a single once more, just to chart one week at 104..."B" side, with "Kiss Me Quick" charted 34.

The difference between the two version is actually the musical arrangement of Terry Stafford's cover made with a synthesizer.

Archived