Can I use Boot USB Win 10 to backup a win7 partitio

coucou

Hello,

I have a friend who uses Windows 7 (32 bit) family. His C partition (100 GB) is so full that it can no longer apply updates. Fortunately its D partition uses 30 GB out of 400 GB. I intend to use WinPE 10-8 Sergei Strelec (x86 / x64 / Native x86) 2019.05.04 Version English for:

1. to make a backup of C partition with Acronis True Image 2019

2. then extend this C partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard 10.2.2

Since WinPE 10-8 Sergei Strelec does not include Windows 7 Boot USB (see image below), can I use Boot USB Windows 10 (x86) or (x64)?

I'll appreciate yr help
Regards

WinPE 10-8 Sergei Strelec .jpg

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's a live DVD of Windows, and win8/10 does not required driver for boot from usb. When booted into a live, start the programs for backup and resize partition

TNX for tr quick reply.

However, I think there's a misunderstanding. I've already created a bootbale USB key which works just fine.  
My question is : if I launch Boot USB Sergei Strelec Windows 10, my machine will runs Windows 10 and I do a backup of partition C (Windows 7), will there be no incompatibility with the MBR , Sector 0 etc?

Regards

16 minutes ago, coucou said:

runs Windows 10 and I do a backup of partition C (Windows 7), will there be no incompatibility with the MBR , Sector 0 etc?

No problem, you can backup Win7 Using Strelec's WinPE 10.

coromonadalix

You should clean all temp folders and everything in : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

That should help clearing some space  before trying anything else

And do the disk cleanup app in windows

As noted above, clean up the partition before to make a backup image. Apps like ccleaner can be of some help to remove the junk, or simply go through each folders to remove big useless files.

Verify this image before to modify the partitions.

No experience of minitool failure, but who knows; by extending the first partition you will also modify the second one. A backup on another drive would be better.

13 hours ago, coucou said:

Hello,

I have a friend who uses Windows 7 (32 bit) family. His C partition (100 GB) is so full that it can no longer apply updates. Fortunately its D partition uses 30 GB out of 400 GB. I intend to use WinPE 10-8 Sergei Strelec (x86 / x64 / Native x86) 2019.05.04 Version English for:

1. to make a backup of C partition with Acronis True Image 2019
  2. then extend this C partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard 10.2.2

Since WinPE 10-8 Sergei Strelec does not include Windows 7 Boot USB (see image below), can I use Boot USB Windows 10 (x86) or (x64)?

I'll appreciate yr help

Regards

I tried to understand what you really wanted to do, but couldn't.
If you want to make this disk, where is Win7, a bit more empty, just move some files to another drive or where you want.
Then find and delete those you don't need no more,
then delete all old/unneccessary windows updates and their backups.
You do not need any third-party software to do this.
If you want to make a copy of the entire C drive, it would also be wise to remove all unnecessary. 
Make a copy of whole C drive - sorry, but why?
Make only a copy of the necessary files and there is no third-party software needed to do it.
You can always reinstall Windows and most of all, it is recommended to do at least twice a year. That is, make a completely new and clean installation to get rid of all the errors that are there by then.
There is no other way to improve them. NB! Do not believe those "wise tutorials and recommendations" where is recommended you all kind of scripts, dism or what ever, usually you can't fix anything.
In addition, I assume that this 100GB hard disk is an HDD disc, it is highly recommended to do it at least once a year completely empty, ie wipe partition and then make new one and then do deep formatting (not Quick format), which also improves hard disk problems.
After that Your disk works like new as long it is no more repairable.
It happens usually after very long time or after mechanical damage.
If You want to get more space or faster computer, replace HDD to SSD and minimum, what You'll get is about 5 times faster computer.
Currently is possible to get absolutely new SSD 100GB for about $30, 256GB for about $40-$50, 500GB for about $80-$110 (I bought one  a week aga for €100 from my hometow store).
If You have problem, ask, I'll try to help. 

TNX all for yr help ;)

As I wrote above, this machine is to an Audioprosthetist friend, he uses it professionally. He doesn't know anything about computers and therefore doesn't know what to uninstall.
Because he uses his machine for setting prostheses and tracking these customers, I don't want to touch it too much.
I clean C:\Windows\Temp, then run %temp%. I'm going to backup the 2 partitions C and D and then extend C.
I hope everything goes well.

Archived