what is the best backup restore method?

Jime234

Hello,

I have been enjoying rooting androids and flashing custom ROMs since the time of gingerbread.

But there is one thing that made me sad, the backup and restore part, I have been using TB for this purpose and sometimes somehow it would miss something while backup or restore, I just cannot trust it any longer.

So are there any better reliable ways to carry out the backup restore?

I am gonna go from miui to a custom rom now, is there any way to just upgrade the rom and keep everything else like apps, settings, etc intact?

TIA

• Like 2

Not an expert here, but TWRP worked very fine for me to backup my whole system/settings/etc... on an old phone before to try out custom ROM.

• Like 3

Create a full Nandroid backup (on your External Storage) through the Recovery that's compatible with your custom ROM (my personal choice is TWRP.)

• Like 3

backup through TWRP is always a best method to backup of data & partitions(but here i suggest you please remove lock screen protection before taking backup using twrp as they are causing decryption problem if you try to restore the twrp backup, atleast i had faced this problem on oreo and pie custom roms)

I am gonna go from miui to a custom rom now, is there any way to just upgrade the rom and keep everything else like apps, settings, etc intact?

yes possible using migrate application (for rooted devices)

With Migrate, you can back up:

1. App apk
  2. App data
  3. App runtime permissions
  4. Contacts (as vcf file)
  5. SMS messages
  6. Call logs
  7. Current ROM screen DPI
  8. Current default keyboard option

... everything in one app.

in end you will get a twrp flashable zip

now flash this zip in twrp. now boot into system then select which apps/data/permissions you want to restore

and don't use los su for backup and restore purpose

Topic and Download link

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-migrate-custom-rom-migration-tool-t3862763

credit: @SayantanRC @xda-developers

Edited by nOkialpha

16 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Create a full Nandroid backup (on your External Storage) through the Recovery that's compatible with your custom ROM (my personal choice is TWRP.)

Alright Sir!

And you probably use super su, so do the bank apps operate in this case?

15 hours ago, nOkialpha said:

backup through TWRP is always a best method to backup of data & partitions(but here i suggest you please remove lock screen protection before taking backup using twrp as they are causing decryption problem if you try to restore the twrp backup, atleast i had faced this problem on oreo and pie custom roms)

yes possible using migrate application (for rooted devices)

With Migrate, you can back up:

1. App apk
  2. App data
  3. App runtime permissions
  4. Contacts (as vcf file)
  5. SMS messages
  6. Call logs
  7. Current ROM screen DPI
  8. Current default keyboard option

... everything in one app.

in end you will get a twrp flashable zip

now flash this zip in twrp. now boot into system then select which apps/data/permissions you want to restore

and don't use los su for backup and restore purpose

Topic and Download link

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-migrate-custom-rom-migration-tool-t3862763

credit: @SayantanRC @xda-developers

So backup through migrate app is as good as TWRP nandroid backup?

does it also get the wifi and hotspot settings?

Edited by Jime234

8 hours ago, Jime234 said:

So backup through migrate app is as good as TWRP nandroid backup?

at present twrp backup is best none of the backup apps can beat it

yes it is good as twrp(atleast from my own experience)
this app is useful if you frequently change roms in your phones and want to restore some apps and their data
twrp nandroid backup (data partition) also includes data/settings/config of your old custom rom which will create problems if you try to restore this data on other new custom roms(rom developers never suggest dirty flash from 1 rom to other)  presently, there is no way to separate these data
either use migrate or titanium
migrate app still in beta stage but works great with pure android roms. avoid emui,miui,touchwiz roms

does it also get the wifi and hotspot settings? 

no, at present this is not possible, may be possible in future releases

16 hours ago, nOkialpha said:

at present twrp backup is best none of the backup apps can beat it

yes it is good as twrp(atleast from my own experience)
this app is useful if you frequently change roms in your phones and want to restore some apps and their data
twrp nandroid backup (data partition) also includes data/settings/config of your old custom rom which will create problems if you try to restore this data on other new custom roms(rom developers never suggest dirty flash from 1 rom to other)  presently, there is no way to separate these data
either use migrate or titanium
migrate app still in beta stage but works great with pure android roms. avoid emui,miui,touchwiz roms

no, at present this is not possible, may be possible in future releases

So migrate app wont backup system settings like wifi?

I think TB does backup system settings, no?

unfortunately I'm on miui and migrate app is crashing after I select "user+system" app option.

dunno what to do 

On 6/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, Jime234 said:

And you probably use super su, so do the bank apps operate in this case?

Yes and no — I use SuperSU Pro, but I never use banking apps. of any kind . . . . or, for that matter apps. for any job that can be done by the browser, instead.

On the whole, in my personal experience a mobile device does not protect as well as a PC/laptop . . . . even if the level of security was equal (hence, banking through the mobile is not for me.)

That been said if (at your end,) SuperSU is interfering with the operation of your banking apps., you could try the following configuration:—

QaevwFF.png

6 hours ago, Jime234 said:

Yep, Titanium Backup Pro can backup System & User Settings together or even individually — it's a convenient backup/restore app. that can be used for ones app.-to-app. requirements.

On the other hand, a Nandroid backup (TWRP, Philz, CWM, etc., etc.) is the mirror image equivalent (Acronis, Macrium, Paragon, etc., etc.)

Personally, I use both Titanium Backup Pro and Nandroid, as well — each have their own set of pros & cons (prefer to enjoy the best of both the world.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Yes and no — I use SuperSU Pro, but I never use banking apps. of any kind . . . . or, for that matter apps. for any job that can be done by the browser, instead.

On the whole, in my personal experience a mobile device does not protect as well as a PC/laptop . . . . even if the level of security was equal (hence, banking through the mobile is not for me.)

That been said if (at your end,) SuperSU is interfering with the operation of your banking apps., you could try the following configuration:—

QaevwFF.png

Yep, Titanium Backup Pro can backup System & User Settings together or even individually — it's a convenient backup/restore app. that can be used for ones app.-to-app. requirements.

On the other hand, a Nandroid backup (TWRP, Philz, CWM, etc., etc.) is the mirror image equivalent (Acronis, Macrium, Paragon, etc., etc.)

Personally, I use both Titanium Backup Pro and Nandroid, as well — each have their own set of pros & cons (prefer to enjoy the best of both the world.)

Wow Sir! that ss looks beautiful, which rom/theme is that?

can you really trust a now Chinese app Supersu?

there are some roms which strongly recommend Magisk over Supersu for stability reasons, what to do in such case?

and I'm still not sure which rom to go for, n or o or p, rr or aospe or pixel e or some other

and have you tried redwolf or orangefox recoveries?

6 hours ago, Jime234 said:

So migrate app wont backup system settings like wifi? 

no migrate is not capable to backup wifi settings and passwords

7 hours ago, Jime234 said:

yes they can but avoid backup of system settings it is only good if you flash same rom then restore system settings. Don't ever restore  system settings of 1 rom to any other rom

TB is capable to backup your wifi password,sms,call log,(use XML option as it is possible to restore this xml data on each rom)

unfortunately I'm on miui and migrate app is crashing after I select "user+system" app option.

dunno what to do 

migrate is not fully compatible with miui,emui,touchwiz roms better use TB or TWRP nandroids backups

or try to backup system and user apps separately

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jime234 said:

lineageos with some extra masalaa(gravitybox) :nuke: on it, its a default dark mode theme

Edited by nOkialpha
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jime234 said:

The theme you saw on the screenshot of my previous post is based on Samsung TouchWiz — but stripped-down to barebone.

FWIW, on the SuperSU Settings page, if you scroll down you'll come across the option, Theme — have made a choice of Material: Dark (you might want to tryout the different themes to see which one suits your taste the best.)

can you really trust a now Chinese app Supersu?

Actually, I beta-test for the SuperSU author, Chainfire — find his white paper to be the most transparent & comprehensive one amongst Android Developers.

BTW, if you won't trust SuperSU — remember . . . . the rooting of most devices is provided by Chainfire. ^_^

there are some roms which strongly recommend Magisk over Supersu for stability reasons, what to do in such case?

Magisk and SuperSU are both neck-to-neck and ship with their own set of pros & cons — you might want to test both of them for yourself, to find-out which serves you better.

The point of inflection generally is compatibility rather than stability.

and I'm still not sure which rom to go for, n or o or p, rr or aospe or pixel e or some other

After growing disenchanted with all the different types of ROMs — have now downgraded to Lollipop 5.0.1 :P

and have you tried redwolf or orangefox recoveries?

Nope . . . . have only had the opportunity to tryout TWRP, Philz & CWM.

Friendly Tip:—

The latest version . . . . as far as Recoveries are concerned may not necessarily be the most suitable one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

AFAIK BAnk apps don't work with rooted devices..

Well Sir, most of them work for me with the help of Magisk Hide.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dcs18 said:

After growing disenchanted with all the different types of ROMs — have now downgraded to Lollipop 5.0.1 :P

Are you serious, Sir?! Lollipop! : O , any specific reason for doing so?

I basically want a custom rom for multitasking properly..  

Friendly Tip:—

The latest version . . . . as far as Recoveries are concerned may not necessarily be the most suitable one.

Yes Sir, I agree, I know it by experience, and from what I know a certain rom will need a specific recovery version in order to flash correctly, especially old roms.  

• Administrator
On 6/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, Jime234 said:

Well Sir, most of them work for me with the help of Magisk Hide.

Correct. All of them work for me using it.

There is some big controversy which happened between them. Magisk developer's version and counter reply to it and then reply from the Magisk's developer on it. I am taking no sides, just giving you information about it. It's an thankless job if you ask me about it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Correct. All of them work for me using it.

There is some big controversy which happened between them. Magisk developer's version and counter reply to it and then reply from the Magisk's developer on it. I am taking no sides, just giving you information about it. It's an thankless job if you ask me about it.

But is it safe to do so?

• Administrator
On 6/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, Jime234 said:

But is it safe to do so?

Quite an complex issue this. Some say they such apps ask not to run on rooted phones to avoid liability, some say it's better to stay away, some say it depends on the developer of the custom made OS, some say it's risky, some say it depends on the user.

I would say that one, do not grant root permission to any app without having complete trust in it, as when you root, it's not only such apps which can be an issue, but whole OS can be exploited, even the link you open from your browser. Second thing is, install a good AV. I know some people find AVs in Android useless, but in my case, they have stopped many badwares from entering the phone. Sometimes these can be quite sneaky.

This article has good information for it.

Honestly, I do not know if a person has ever been hacked for using such apps on a rooted phone there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Quite an complex issue this. Some say they such apps ask not to run on rooted phones to avoid liability, some say it's better to stay away, some say it depends on the developer of the custom made OS, some say it's risky, some say it depends on the user.

I would say that one, do not grant root permission to any app without having complete trust in it, as when you root, it's not only such apps which can be an issue, but whole OS can be exploited, even the link you open from your browser. Second thing is, install a good AV. I know some people find AVs in Android useless, but in my case, they have stopped many badwares from entering the phone. Sometimes these can be quite sneaky.

This article has good information for it.

Honestly, I do not know if a person has ever been hacked for using such apps on a rooted phone there.

That is one great article Sir, Thanks a lot for sharing!

and btw, MIUI has inbuilt security app, will that be enough or should I get separate av? 

• Like 3

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Jime234 said:

That is one great article Sir, Thanks a lot for sharing!

and btw, MIUI has inbuilt security app, will that be enough or should I get separate av? 

I myself only Googled it. :P But indeed a good article.

Sorry, no idea about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 10:51 AM, Jime234 said:

Are you serious, Sir?! Lollipop! : O , any specific reason for doing so?

I basically want a custom rom for multitasking properly..

I was running the latest versions of Custom ROMs based on CyanogenMod and then LineageOS — however, each of those builds exhibited a degraded sound quality on the other side of the conversation (breaking of the calls and echoing.)

After the downgrade, have regained my pristine sound quality (with the pleasant realization that the older ROMs are also . . . . better looking.) ^_^

Edited by dcs18