Which browser engine does your default browser use?

HandyPAF

I don't know how to post a poll so just reply with your answer.

• WebKit
    • Safari browser, plus all browsers hosted on the iOS App Store
  • Blink
    • All Chromium-based browsers such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Slimjet, Opera, Brave, Vivaldi, Cent, etc.
  • Gecko
    • Mozilla Firefox, plus forks such as SeaMonkey, Waterfox, GNU IceCat, K-Meleon, Lunascape, etc.
  • Goanna
    • Pale Moon, Basilisk, possibly others

I use Blink

Slimjet, Vivaldi

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The AchieVer

WebKit and blink

For many years Explorer was my default browser.

Now, Safari for my iPad and Google for my Android and PC.

I think Google is the default search engine used by both.

brain_death

Browser-engines.png

You guys might be interested in this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_browser_engines

Basically these days you have two main choices. Webkit/Blink, or Gecko/Goanna with Servo on the way...

But there is one alternative still existing that probably deserves our support, at least on a research basis.

Netsurf must be worth a try. I'll warn you it has a number of issues, but it won't hurt your PC and for the hobbyists, you know...

https://www.netsurf-browser.org/

Download for Windows (6 MB):

http://download.netsurf-browser.org/netsurf/releases/pre-built/windows/3.8-netsurf.exe

13 minutes ago, brain_death said:

Netsurf must be worth a try. I'll warn you it has a number of issues, but it won't hurt your PC and for the hobbyists, you know...

Looks like the latest versions are from 08/2018. Is it really safe to use this browser nowadays?

brain_death
50 minutes ago, mp68terr said:

Looks like the latest versions are from 08/2018. Is it really safe to use this browser nowadays?

I don't think you *could* use it on an everyday basis...

Like I say, it's more for research purposes and as an academic exercise.

Back in the day there was a lot more choice. Now, there are really only a couple of variants on two options.

How long until Mozilla get forced out too and there is only one?

Choice is good. Monopolies are bad for the Internet and us all...

Rendering engine: Gecko => Servo in due course.

😪

@brain_death,

Got your point.

Was using opera in the old days (innovation, new features and interaction with the users).

Now mostly two choices as noted, and not much idea about how the users' voice do/will affect the policy for the future. Glad to see some forks resisting the monopoly, but for how long and anyway likely for a minority :dunno:

If mozilla keep up with their fiddling, altering and dumbing down - I`m afraid that in the future there will be no need for a poll of browser engines because we`ll only be left with ONE viable option.....

where the rest are crippled to such an extent they are effectively useless.

Gecko is my default (Waterfox)   Spare browsers  I have lots , Gecko (Firefox )  , Blink  (Chromium ) VA-API Patched PPA Builds  and with Mozilla keep  acting crazy  i been testing Blink (BRAVE)  again . Also i have a  QtWebEngine, QtWebKit one (Otter Browser) witch is like the old Opera Browser before they switch to Blink.   . One browser is too boring for me . Good to see you still  around HandyPAF  and are well enough  to be with us still.

:party::lmao::clap:

On 6/13/2019 at 10:42 AM, steven36 said:

Good to see you still  around HandyPAF  and are well enough  to be with us still.

Thank you, friend. :) 

Slimjet is my main browser, Vivaldi is a clone of my Slimjet profile but I don't use it very often because I'm waiting for Vivaldi to release a mobile browser. They said it's in the works, but no open beta yet.

I also have Firefox Nightly installed so I can keep up with the latest on that front. Brave is installed but that is for guests to use.

Archived