Private Internet Access (PIA) Not So Private Now

straycat19

straycat19

Got a warning today that Private Internet Access was disabled because it required more permissions.  Initially it stated it needed access to browsing history, but when I went to reenable it a box popped up that stated, "It can now:  Read and change all your data on the websites you visit, Manage your downloads, Change your setting that control websites' access to features such as cookies, JavaScript, plugins, geolocation, microphone, camera, etc, and Change your privacy-related settings."

pia.png

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moved from Security & Privacy News.

(Thanks, useful heads-up, but not really News. Better here)

Why you don't go ask PIA for tech support instead trying to make up some fake news? I call Bull :shit:

That's not even windows or Linux that's Andoid  and here how to disable them.

How to remove the VPN permissions on Android

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/guides/android/android-2/how-to-remove-the-vpn-permissions-on-android

I know because  I have this VPN  on Windows and Linux and don't ask for no privileges like shown above and  i also have NORD  as well.  You claim to be a system admin  but you don't even know how to set up a VPN   by  doing a simple web-search  or asking for help at PIA?

:lmao:

On 5/8/2019 at 7:54 PM, Karlston said:

Moved from Security & Privacy News.

(Thanks, useful heads-up, but not really News. Better here)

It was not news that's for sure  and it not PIA''s  problem  It's the dummy who installed it . :tooth:

If your having  the other problem   with the Chrome extension don't   use the extension use just use  the  VPN  client if you don't trust PIA that much  ,  The  addon is not needed really  because all your traffic is all ran trough the vpn without  it.  Only thing Chrome or Firefox  vpn extensions  does is change the  ip in your browser  it's  not  a real vpn but just a proxy   I don't use  proxies for privacy no way.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

[–]PIANathanael  PIA CS Staff 8 points  

Hello u/Hanno_Encore, I can definitely realize why that new permission request is concerning!

In the latest PIA Chrome extension (v2.1.0) we added a feature to allow the current webpage open in the browser to be added directly to the bypass list. Previously, any additions to the bypass list had to be added manually, so we've added this new function for ease of use.

For this feature to work the "tabs" API is utilized to pull the URL of the active tab. To access that API Chrome requires that this new permission be provided, and without it the PIA extension cannot see the tab's URL.

We are not recording your browser history and, as always, everything we do is built around our strict no-logging policy.

If you need any help using the new extension release or have further questions, feel free to reach out to us at: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/new-ticket

https://old.reddit.com/r/PrivateInternetAccess/comments/blytye/pia_addon_on_brave_browser_chromium_is_requesting/emt35vg/

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: I don't use there proxy addon  but  i tested  it  and that  what  your problem  is   the  Chrome  API  that's not  there real  vpn software doing that . Browsers VPNs are shit its about like using a VPN  on Android  when Google already knows who you are  because your signed in.

Selection 009

If you want Privacy don't use Google Chrome

Nord Chrome extension  is full of bugs so it's  no better

Mckaizu Kaizu

it starting to get frustrated when the best vpn services had annoying bugs that make me feel so angry - extension keep logout itself for some reason - extension showing weird behavior and cause entire browser unable to access any website! to resolve this to remove the extension itself - can't favorite any country or select frequent use country on top list.. instead need to scroll down to find the country every single time I am paid user... I love nordvpn but extension chrome is very bad implementation

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If I  want  to change ip using a browser i just use tor  browser  over top   of there  real vpn  software  that protects my whole   computer  .  What good is a browser vpn really?  if you use download mangers  and use kodi  like  i  do they just mess you up because your PC has one ip and  your browser will have another  and sites wont work  and my paid download service  would ban me for using more than  one  ip at once. .Browser VPNs  don't work  for KODI , J Downloader ,UGet ,IDM  or stand alone p2p apps at all.   I used PIA   and NORD  there real vpn software  or with open vpn software for years  and never had no problems and  I download all most 2 TB  this year warez alone that's not counting  legit downloads.  I download  and uploaded what ever i want  every since  i was on dial up , then satellite without  a vpn .  . It was not tell i got higher speed unlimited i started using a  vpn and  that was years ago.     

All this Paranoid  crap about services  that  don't log   does my head in   while  they be parsing  Google and/or Microsoft who do log in  other post  . When they install  it in Google spyware  do they expect  to be able to achieve privacy anyway ?  PIA  has proved in court more than once they don't log ,no other vpn has done that  yet!  And they wonder why I don't  come on  here much no more !    When i go in Windows i don't even expect any   privacy so i boot back in Linux as soon as im done doing what ever im in windows for . same as if i used a smart phone witch i don't ,  unless  i  was booting real Linux  i would expect no privacy there ether .  A privacy app don't  do much good when  the OS is calling home and a  privacy  app is even  less good  installed in a browser that calls home . You keep blaming the apps when its the spyware you install it on.fault  for requiring  such permissions to even run right  .  Not long ago Google was talking about  killing off most  all extensions tell people cried about it , they not allowed YouTube extensions on there api in years .There API is a Jail and thats why this post.   🤣

Archived