Your Firefox extensions are all disabled? That's a bug!

Karlston

Seriously? Switched to Waterfox and all is well. Why do we have to fix their screw ups!

• Replies 72
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HeLLBRiNGeR

My goodnes! Just a few hours ago I was on Youtube playing music videos, went AFK and suddenly I started hearing ads. Went back to my computer and realized that Ublock Origin was disabled! So this is the problem then, thanks for the heads up!

What a frustrating and time wasting day that was, it was the xpi that worked in the end thankfully.

Changing the clock was temporary at best and I did try the 66.0.4 build which didn`t work.

also used the 'Normandy' fix but that changed other settings in my prefs on it`s own, so I disabled all that stuff again !

There`s a reason I lock down the browser as much as possible, that was one good example why.

Quick fix (credits goes to Hackers News):

Set devtools.chrome.enabled to enable in about:config

Open the browser console by hitting ctrl-shift-j

Copy and paste the following code, hit enter.

// Re-enable all extensions

async function set_addons_as_signed() {
    Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIDatabase.jsm");
    Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm");
    let addons = await XPIDatabase.getAddonList(a => true);

for (let addon of addons) {
        // The add-on might have vanished, we'll catch that on the next startup
        if (!addon._sourceBundle.exists())
            continue;

if( addon.signedState != AddonManager.SIGNEDSTATE_UNKNOWN )
            continue;

addon.signedState = AddonManager.SIGNEDSTATE_NOT_REQUIRED;
        AddonManagerPrivate.callAddonListeners("onPropertyChanged",
                                                addon.wrapper,
                                                ["signedState"]);

await XPIDatabase.updateAddonDisabledState(addon);

}
    XPIDatabase.saveChanges();
}

set_addons_as_signed();

P. S. Until mozilla fixes the problem you will need to redo this once every 24 hours:

14 hours ago, Karlston said:

I can confirm that this fix works immediately. Downloaded the file and then used the Firefox File menu / Open File... to open it, then agreed to the prompt.

Everything look OK now. List of extensions looks right and nothing about legacy extensions mentioned. 

Fix from Firefox with studies didn't work for me, I didn't have active studies likes on screenshot.

Then I installed [email protected] and this works. But how to uninstall this if I want? There is no on the list addons!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, stajke said:

But how to uninstall this if I want? There is no on the list addons!

You don't uninstall it, it's not a standard extension. I think the xpi file was just code designed to run once (at "install" time)  and bump a certificate's expiry date to make it current thereby fixing the problem.

We'll hear more about the cause over time, and AFAIK Mozilla is still working on a permanent fix.

I just deleted it from the extensions folder (inside the main profile folder).

All it seems to do is change the offending certificate, which I`m sure they could have suggested people do earlier on during that mess.

(Adding the easier and more automated fixes for others as the day went on of course)

Cereberus

i was going to setup firefox, install extension when i noticed "

Download failed. Please check your connection."

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nano-defender-firefox/

i was confused, thought it was either my firewall or other firefox extensions blocking it, but then i read this.

so they are related?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-add-ons-disabled-en-masse-after-mozilla-certificate-issue/

*update

i got it to work.

temp disabled avast webshield

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/55085/firefox-extension-installation-connection-error-disable-avast-web-shield

We rolled-out a fix for release, beta and nightly users on Desktop. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours, you don’t need to take active steps.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, we are using the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

https://github.com/mozilla/addons/issues/851

then disable addons and re-enable

- decentraleyes

- https everywhere

- noscript

one of these things did the trick. can finally install firefox extension :}

SwissMiss

Tried the same solution posted by above by Sharelol about an hour ago and it worked for me as well.

1 hour ago, Sharelol said:

Seems to use Mozilla's Studies fix but also reduces the update interval so it gets done much quicker than the 'up to 6 hours' that Mozilla mentioned.

Nice one, Giorgio (of NoScript fame) knows what he's talking about. As the post mentions, remember to reset those two settings afterwards.

I run version 56.0.2, its the last version to support running legacy extensions, and I need several. Non of the fixes works on this version. And I cant keep my system's date set backwards forever. Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, Bausch said:

Any ideas?

There's a fix posted on Reddit... Addons Fix for 56.0.2 & older

Some of the comments say it works for them. HTH.

None  of this Fix  the TOR browser based  on Firefox ESR. Noscript  is disabled now,   HTTPS  everywhere , tor button, and  tor launcher are  still working witch  i guess are not depended  om AMO . Waterfox  never needed a fix  because it don't even require  addons to be signed . For years and years  Firefox didn't have signed addons  it was because of noobs getting infected from installing  bad addons  they forced addons to be signed .  Witch it is nothing new that been a problem since they been web browsers starting with IE. :lmao:

This not the 1st time most all addons stop working in Firefox it been a problem for years and years  from  Firefox updates   before you could use and ESR  and before they had ESR  they had security only updates for stable  releases when ever they had a major version change witch  took like a year then they  copy google and started rapid releases  then they started ESR and now ESR is not even immune to there stupid addon bugs anymore .

Firefox released an update 66.0.4 to fix the error.

Now everything works fine now.

2 minutes ago, attacker said:

Well spotted. The Mozilla blog post Add-ons disabled or failing to install in Firefox has been updated with...

A Firefox release has been pushed — version 66.0.4 on Desktop and Android, and version 60.6.2 for ESR. This release repairs the certificate chain to re-enable web extensions, themes, search engines, and language packs that had been disabled (Bug 1549061). There are remaining issues that we are actively working to resolve, but we wanted to get this fix out before Monday to lessen the impact of disabled add-ons before the start of the week. More information about the remaining issues can be found by clicking on the links to the release notes above. (May 5, 16:25 EDT)

57 minutes ago, steven36 said:

None  of this Fix  the TOR browser based  on Firefox ESR. Noscript  is disabled now,

This post on the Tor project blog has a temporary fix and more info... NoScript Temporarily Disabled in Tor Browser

1 minute ago, attacker said:

Now everything works fine now.

Not  showing up in the Mozilla PPA  yet

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

This  is the fastest way to  get  Firefox on Linux  witch is the method i use  people  that use the Official Ubuntu Repository have to wait days  and they skip non security  update versions .

16 minutes ago, Karlston said:

This post on the Tor project blog has a temporary fix and more info... NoScript Temporarily Disabled in Tor Browser

Ok that fixed it now all my browsers  are fixed  .  I have to wait on Tor browser to push the update in Linux before i switch it back.

PetaOctet

I delete the Fix, untick the studies and update to 66.0.4.

Everything works fine for the moment.

Archived